Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enjoy a a word about July 4th from a founding father

Posted by riverhouse_designs (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 13:58

PRIMARY SOURCE.... letter about "Independence Day" 1776 from John Adams to his wife:

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

Happy celebration, everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enjoy a a word about July 4th from a founding father

That's excellent. Thanks for sharing.

o

Adams was speaking of JULY 2, 1776 -- not July 4.

July 2 is when the Continental Congress voted to declare independence, The July 2 Pennsylvania Evening Post published the news, saying, "This day the Continental Congress declared the United Colonies Free and Independent States."

Lest you think I'm so smart, I have to tell you I read this in an op-ed piece in today's Chicago Tribune, who took it from the Washington Post.

It includes a wonderful declaration by George Washington, also made July 2 , without his knowledge that the Congress had acted.. A section of it states:

"...Let us, therefore, animate and encourage each other, and show the whole world, that a freeman contending for liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on Earth."

On July 4 the Congress approved the Declaration of Independence, largely written by Jefferson, but it was only signed in stages, beginning August 2. There was no actual joint signing as pictured in our school books, with all the signers in Philadelphia.

On July 8, Philadelphia celebrated.

The Army, camped near NYC under Washington, heard the news July 9 and celebrated.

Georgia got the word August 10.

London found out about August 30. And the fight for our republic began. Will we keep disproving Franklin's doubts about our ability to keep this treasure?

o

God bless our founding fathers. We owe them so much, for their wisdom and service to our country.

It's mind-boggling to me that three of our first five presidents died on July 4--John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe (Adams and Jefferson died on the same day, less than six hours apart)!

o

Who among us has read the entire Declaration of Indeoendence recently and
took the time to really discuss it. That is what my DH and I did Today while we were driving. It was a fun and educational experience. Not to mention timely.

o

One quote from one of your early leaders that I feel to be important in every democratic society is,

"The price of freedom is ... eternal vigilance".

Was it Nathan Hale?

Those in power often seek to expand theirs ... often by non-obvious, even devious, means.

It's part of our job to keep them in check ... and a major part of that enterprise in earlier times was carried on by objective and crusading newspapers, but they are but a shadow of their former selves, and television won't do it.

The new social media can help ... but it's being used effectively by the destroyers of free and democratic societies, as well.

ole joyful

o

Thread killer ... again ... it seems.

Any words from, our founding mothers, by the way?

Perhaps, before getting too high and mighty about the place of women in many areas of the world, we should do a check of our not so distant past.

o j

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here