Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for educators

Posted by sleeperblues (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 13:49

DD has re-enrolled in college at UW and wants to become a teacher. Her home address is still here, and she just received an invitation to join Pi Lambda Theta. The introductory letter states UW-Madison nominated her for membership based on her GPA. I'm just wondering if this is something worthwhile, or just a money-waster? The cost is 44.00 a year, which is not a big deal but is it just going to open her up to receiving useless junk mail or will it be advantageous?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for educators

I joined while in college but have let my membership expire. We do have an active chapter in our area as we have several colleges in town. It wouldn't hurt her to join but she may want to wait till she is sure she wants to stay in the college of education at her school.

o

The dean of my department nominated me to an academic honorary society while I was concluding my graduate school degree, and I accepted the honor. I don't recall if I had to pay any membership, but probably not as I was stone broke, but it was of some use. On teaching job applications, I was asked to list any honors, and this gave me something to put in the box. In these days when teaching jobs can be scarce, something like that can be helpful in rounding out an application. However, I am not familiar with your particular organization.

o

It is certainly a respectable Honor Society, and an honor to be invited.

I see no down-side to membership. However, your daughter should review the invitation, research the organization and make her own decision based upon her needs, desires and personal goals related to membership in a professional fraternity.

As a retired educator, I can't see a "down-side" to membership...it just needs to be her educated and informed decision.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here