SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Drought state people, what are you doing to conserve?

socks
9 years ago

I admit I've become somewhat obsessive about water use and am trying to conserve and get double use out of water. Here's what I do:

Keep a 1/2 gallon container (plastic, ice cream kind) in the sink for overflow from rinsing vegetables and other water which isn't salty or too soapy. It's amazing how fast it fills up, several times during the day. I use it for outside pots and in the ground plants as well.

Using a bathroom nearer the water heater to lessen warm-up water. Collect warm-up water for re-use.

Have scooped out some washing machine rinse water into a bucket. That's hard. I'm doing fewer loads, putting more clothes into one load than normally.

Avoid turning the hose on outside.

Yellow/mellow, of course.

Eliminated a lot of pots.

We have about 40 rose bushes which were mulched to a depth of 3-4" and they seem to be doing ok.

I'm anticipating some real water restrictions before summer is over.

Seems like Oklahoma and maybe other states has been through this for several years, and I'm wondering how they have survived the reduced water availability.

It's a scary situation, and if we don't get a good winter, who knows how we can manage that situation.

What are you doing, if in a drought state?

Comments (15)