SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

A Tiresome Wedding

chisue
9 years ago

I'm exhausted. And crabby.

We attended a family wedding Saturday evening at a 'nearby' resort. DH and I booked at the resort for the night.

We drove through incredible noontime traffic through Chicago, through tollway road construction and industrial Gary, along a lengthy, poorly-marked detour in Indiana, then finally into Michigan for some peaceful miles. We showered and changed in time to get to the ceremony with 30 minutes to spare.

Nice service. Beautiful bride. Groom showed up. Music. Flower girls did distribute petals (one of them our DGD, age three). Ring bearer did solemn job (our DGS, age nine). Bride's 17 yo DD was maid of honor. Groom's 19 yo DS was best man. Our DS did a reading.

Lovely reception -- indoors and outdoors -- with delicious food, good champagne and wine, and trio with female vocalist. (The couple are considerable 'foodies'.)

We took our aching backs off to comfy bed -- but noisy hotel (elevators, ice maker, late partiers). Up and away Sunday for 'scenic' tollway, getting home early afternoon.

One would expect to be tired, but happy, and I'm not. Instead, I'm adding up the expenses and effort -- and thinking about the marriage vows not honored by this pair in their first marriages. (There was just something about watching a child from each of those marriages 'bearing witness'.)

The bride's family has been through another lovely ceremony and reception -- with the bride's earlier (also questionable) choice of husband. This couple has been together for eight years. We were all happy when two wedding dates were cancelled. This was just such an *effort* for everyone attending with smiles pasted on.

I think we should have 'made excuses'. Have you experienced anything like this? It's such an uncomfortable feeling. Help!

Our kind DS says we needed to do what we could to help this shaky marriage succeed -- since the bride was dead set on it. (I wish they'd eloped!)

Comments (52)