Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Since people share recipes here....

Posted by ellendi (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 12:49

I am looking for a marinade for grilled chicken. I have one using soy sauce so I am not interested in one like that.
What is your favoritd grilled chicken recipe. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Since people share recipes here....

I generally don't marinate my chicken. I just rub it lightly with olive oil and sprinkle generously with Montreal Seasoning for Chicken. It smells divine while cooking and tastes great, too.

o

Thanks Fun2, this is what I am looing for. Different ideas, so bored with my usual.

o

I've marinated it in italian salad dressing, then broiled or grilled...yummm

o

sprinkle with Tony C's (a cajun seasoning), place in a ziplock bag and pour on some red wine dressing (Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette is very good!) Marinade a few hours prior to grilling.

o

Thanks!

o

Here's the one we like best. You can marinate the chicken in it but it's not necessary.

Chicken Barbeque Sauce

1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp tabasco

Heat to boiling. Baste on chicken while grilling.

o

This isn't a marinade, but can be used as a baste for grilling as well as baking in the oven or stovestop.

eazy peazy bbq sauce

equal amts of ketchup and coke

My tried and true recipe acquired from neighbor over 20 years ago

o

I am partial to olive oil, lemon juice and fresh-pressed garlic as a base. This works for chicken, fish or shrimp. Add whatever herbs/ spices you like.

o

Good ideas to try. Thanks again.

o

Several grilled chicken marinades on pinterest. The one with lime sounds good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Grilled Chicken Marinade

o

Here is one I have used for Cornish hens for many years. I don't see why it wouldn't be as good on chicken.

Honey-Lime Game Hens

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 Tbs vegetable oil
2 Tbs honey
2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp (5 ml) dried
1 tsp finely chopped lime zest
1 tsp paprika
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2-3 Cornish game hens, halved, backbone removed

Whisk together all ingredients except the game hens in a mixing bowl and transfer to large resealable plastic bag. Add the halved game hens and turn the bag to distribute the marinade. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, turning occasionally. Remove the game hens and discard
the marinade. Grill over indirect heat, bone side down, until the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 4 to 6.

o

Always good to find new things to try!
I use Italian salad dressing too, but
I'm going to try Glenda's ketchup and
coke. Just because my husband is a Coke
drinker!

o

We sometimes use a good ginger dressing to marinate chicken for a few hours. It's a nice change.

o

I like a little teriyaki added to perk it up otherwise prefer just a rub. I like the skin to be crisp so I don't douse it with sauces and stuff while cooking. You should avoid sugary sauces while grilling chicken anyway. The sugar burns long before the chicken is cooked. Season it, cook it up and add the sauce at the end.

Use your favorite seasonings - a basic rib rub works fine, or use spices you like and make your own.

Other variations of the ketchup and cola are using chili sauce, BBQ sauce, Dr. Pepper, beer, root beer, etc. You can also doctor it up a bit for better flavor. Add your favorite seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, Teriyaki, soy, etc.

For something really different there's the mayo based saucing. Some just use a basic coleslaw dressing. I've played with a variation and have one that's pretty good and has a little zing.

Cynic's Variation of White Trash BBQ Sauce

2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 tsps (+/-) prepared horseradish
2 tsps fresh ground black pepper (see notes)
2 tsps fresh lemon or lime juice
1 tsp kosher (or sea) salt (see notes)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or Chili powder

Combine all ingredients in a very large bowl. Season your chicken and grill or bbq it as you like. When it's done, take that hot, smokey chicken and dunk it in the bowl of white sauce, turning to coat. Serve immediately with your favorite sides.

For me it was vastly superior to the slaw dressings but still pretty boring so I tweaked it with some lemon pepper, bacon salt (cutting the other salt), Italian Seasoning, smoked paprika, cumin, celery seed, garlic powder and onion powder and it was much better.

As with any condiment it's subject to taste so add, subtract, multiply and divide to your preference! Since it's essentially a slaw dressing as I said, I used my slaw dressing for ideas to perk it up.

o

The ketchup/coke is basic, and the way I prefer it. TO each his/her own. I've shared this at the Kt for many a year.

Alabama is known for it white bbq sauce made famous by Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama.

It's served on most bbq tables in a simple coke like bottle with a screw top.

This is the one that's always on my table when I serve pulled pork.

Alabama White Barbecue Sauce has a tangy flavor that is a great addition to grilled foods.

Makes about 3 1/2 cups

2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup apple cider vinegar **I have used white wine vinegar
2 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Preparation:

Mix ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using. Brush lightly over chicken, turkey or pork during the last few minutes of grilling.

This barbecue sauce is also great as a dipping sauce so set some aside before you start grilling to serve on the table.

Miss Myra's is a very popular bbq place here, and I love her smoked chicken and use the white bbq sauce for dipping the meat in. good good good

Miss Myra's uses horseradish in her white bbq sauce

o

Simple....a little olive oil, lemon juice and tarragon or rosemary, or whatever herb you prefer. At the last minute, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then grill.

o

Our favorite (I learned about on the GW) is Dale's Steak Seasoning - just enough to season both sides when turned while marinating for at least 1/2 hour. Gluten-free and I use it on chicken, steak, salmon, and pork when grilling. It does contain soy sauce, but isn't as strong as teryaki so doesn't overwhelm :-)

o

Fun2 got the Montreal seasoning and used it tonight. We enjoyed it. Hope to try the other suggestions from all of you soon.
Thanks again!

o

The best marinade for chicken wings is a half and half mixture of Wishbone Italian and Dale's Steak Seasoning. (I use the low-sodium Dales because besides being lower in sodium it's thicker)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here