SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Not a soul here knew him and I am sorry for that

ruthieg__tx
9 years ago

because he was that man everyone should know...if you bother to read his obit...you will see why...he was my neighbor in the late years of his life...the last weeks of his life were in a rehab center and I am happy he is gone...no old war horse wants to leave this world under those circumstances...Rest in Peace Jack...we love you ...

Obituary for General John "Jack" Halladay Grimm

General John "Jack" Halladay Grimm, age 89, passed away July 13, 2014 in Kerrville, Texas.

He was born January 6, 1925 in Decatur, Illinois to Anna Lewise Halladay Grimm and Amos Jacob "A.J." Grimm.

Jack was a graduate of Harlingen High School, 1942. He had a full scholarship to the University of Syracuse. At Syracuse, he was president of both Beta Theta Pi National Fraternity and Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. He lettered in football and was a member of the ROTC.

He was appointed to the Naval Reserve as Ensign in 1943. In 1949, Jack graduated from Syracuse with a Doctor of Medicine degree. In 1951, Jack was commissioned as a 1st Lt. in the Reserve of the Air Force Medical Service. As 1st Lt., he became Chief of Aviation Medicine and Asst. Medical Inspector. In 1952, he was designated a Chief Flight Surgeon. Also in 1952, he was awarded the Air Medal Commendation Award. Other awards he received are the Flight Surgeon of the Year, 1965, Expeditionary Medal, 1966, Meritorious Service Medal, 1967-1970. Jack also served in the Korean War. In 1971, by Direction of the President, Jack was appointed the rank of General. He was awarded the Legion of Merit Award 1972-1978. Jack received his American Board of Radiology certification in 1960. He practiced radiology at M.D. Anderson Hospital, Hermann Hospital and Memorial City Radiology in Houston, Texas. He retired in the early 80's.

Jack is preceded in death by his parents, two sisters, Jean Alice Wilhite and Carolyn Elizabeth "Betty" Parish and brother Amos Jacob Grimm. He is survived by his wife of 28 � years, Linda Stafford Grimm, daughters Jacqueline "Jackie" Lewise Swan, Janet Leigh Spillers, Jeanette Lynne Mann, Patricia "Patti" Anne Spaniola and son John Halladay Grimm II, grandchildren Christopher Keith Spillers, James "Jimmy" Christopher Swan, Alexis Paige Grimm, Jacob Halladay Grimm, Roland Fitzgerald Mann, great-grandchildren Trinity Rain Swan, Jackson Atreyu Swan, Bella Adalyn Swan and Lincoln Ambassador Swan.

PS...thought I would tell you all that he was on the medical team that served the first astronaut crews...

This post was edited by ruthieg__tx on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 12:06

Comments (8)