SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Hydrangeas - Misc. Questions

suzieque
11 years ago

Hi all -

I'm new to this forum and hope that you have patience with me! I have fallen in love with hydrangeas over the past couple of years. I now have 8 and they are in various stages of grown and bloom. Here are some issues/questions.

1) Pinky Winky (my favorite), Limelight), and Little Lamb (I think) - the growth is phenominal. Last year they bloomed beautifully and fully. Toward the end of the season they each sent up tall shoots. This year, they're not really blooming as well as I'd hoped. Pinky Winky more than the other 2, but really not nearly as much as last ear when they were all outstanding. But again, they're really growing. Should I have pruned them? Cut those tall shoots?

2) Quickfire - hasn't really done much of anything in the 2 years I've had it. It died back to the ground at the end of last year and this year as grown up about a foot. Nice leaves, but absolutely no blossoms.

3) Light O'Day - Again, growth is Ok (not fabulous), but not a bloom in sight (I planted it year before last; no blooms yet at all). Interestingly, the leaves are supposed to be varigated and those from last year are. But the new leaves are healthy but totally green.

I think I have them in the right places according to sun/shade preferences, and I gave them all some slow-release fertilizer in the spring. Any thoughts?

I've also just planted 2 Abracadabra Orbs and an Abracadabra Star - wish me luck with those!

Thanks -

Suzieque

Comments (7)