Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flexible Garden Hose

Posted by Sue-va (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 11:19

My neighbor just today hooked one of these up and gave me the web site. I have been looking for a flexible hose, and never saw this one before.

Has anyone used this hose? If so, I'd like some revues.

I have been looking for a flexible hose and never have seen this one.

TIA

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: XHose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flexible Garden Hose

That looks interesting. I found a lot of customer reviews on the hose here, might be good to look at before buying.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.asseenontvonsale.com/cleaning/xhose/

o
RE: Flexible Garden Hose...adding

You have to scroll down the page quite a ways to see the customer reviews.

o

My neighbor was telling me about this and it did sound great.....I have a coiled hose, it also is 25 ft. long but it does tangle.....I might just have to look into this new thing.....

o

I need something like that. My garden hose puts me in danger of falling. Getting it off the hose rack, getting out of the flower bed with it.

I didn't listen to all of the video. do you know what it is covered with, looks like fabric, but that couldn't be.

o

We've seen that one advertised and it does look neat. We bought two "non-kink" hoses at Lowes...one for the front yard was 75 foot and one for the back which is 50 foot. They do not kink and we really like them.

o

Oldgardener, I read the reviews at the link you gave. Seems like 50/50 at the best. Of course any "seen on TV" products are all about like that.

Since my neighbor hooked hers up just today, it will be a while before she can recommend it or not.

Sure seems like what I need, but I guess I'll wait a while. I will also check out Lindaohnowga's info at Lowes, and since my DGS works at HD, I'll ask him.

Sounds like there is a good market for a hose like this.

Sue

o

I have a coiled hose for the deck and use it to water my plants. It takes up little space and is lightweight. It's not for heavy-duty use though, like watering a lawn or washing the car, of course.

o

Oldgardner, that's the one I have, in fact I have 2 but they sure don't look like that now....I have stretched them across the porch and have almost straightened them a couple of times...But, they are pretty good...One of mine sprung a leak and I have it taped but I still use them.....I can't believe how much they now charge for these....When I got mine, I didn't spend more than $5.00 ea.....

o

Sunny DJ, I discovered that I can't stretch the coiled hose out all the way, it gets kinked up if I do that. I use it for a short distance on that corner of the deck only. I don't remember how much it cost, probably got it on sale or I wouldn't have bought it...cause I'm frugal/cheap. ;)

o

I have used those coil hoses at my back porch, but the way the faucet was installed meant the hose had to bend as it came out, and after a while it split. After the second one did the same thing, I now have a rigged up regular hose that is sooo heavy!

Just have to keep looking.

Sue

o

I have one of the coiled hoses in the atrium, works ok there but it does kink some.
In the back yard we have one of the black hoses from Sears they are with out doubt one of the best hoses you can buy and they last forever. We watched for the sale on them and recently scored one for the side yard and driveway. They are not cheap but they do run sales on them, they are worth the money. I have never seen anything like that one in the commercial, it said it was webbing fabric on the exterior, not sure how long it would last but it was interesting.

o

Sue-va, I hope you'll tell us how your neighbor likes it after a few weeks. It seems like it might be a good choice to replace some of my aging hoses.

o

Squirrels would have a hay day with it if you left it outside here. They even chew up rubber hoses left out in the trees.

o

raven is there a special name for the black hose and does it kink. Mine in the back yard is years and years old, could use a new one.

o

I also bought the non-kink hoses from Lowes - love them! They cost a few dollars more but have a lifetime warrenty. As many plants as I water, and as far as I have to drag it some days, it's nice to not have to stop and un-kink the hoses.

o

I vote for a good hose, made from rubber, if you want it to last.

Everything that sounds to good to be true, usually is.

Moni

o

They are craftsmen lifetime guarantee black rubber hose come in multiple lengths, they do not kink, most people have the same hose for 10 or more years of these, they will replace them with out question if you do have a problem. The fittings are very high quality brass. They are a made in America product. They really are a product that you will have for years. Reading reviews for them is amazing seeing how long some have had theirs. The should be a link, if not just go to sears.com and search for rubber hose.
We want to get one more for the front then we should be fixed for the duration!

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman rubber hose.

o

I think the secret to a good garden hose is draining it and storing it for the winter.I live in the cold North East (Long Island NY) Every fall, I turn off the water spigot outdoors, then drain my hose and roll it on a storage wheel. I spent about $45 on the storage device but it's worth not having to buy a new hose every year.

o

Jannie, you got it for the most part. Here, in Oklahoma, the hoses also fail because of the heat.

I don't have a storage wheel, but also drain my hoses for the winter. Well, I drain them all winter long, after each time I end up watering. We usually don't have much moisture over the winter and newer planted trees need some at least once a month.

It's a pain, but if you lay one end up high over a ladder, or tree branch, and let it run out for a while.. and then slowly pull the hose over the high point, letting it drain out completely your hose won't freeze and bust.

Moni

o

Fun2BHere, I will report back after a while. I'm hoping she is going to have good things to say about it.

This type of hose is not for every one, of course, but for those of us who have severe joint problems, lifting, twisting, and trying to recoil a heavy hose is a real problem.

Sue

o

Thanks. I look forward to hearing her experiences.

o

All I do is disconnect my hose from the faucet. We failed to do that one time and one of the pipes inside the faucet burst. As far as the hose goes, I never take it in, to much trouble to get out to water plants with shallow roots in the winter. I have never had a hose go bad by leaving it out. I never even drain it, it's not necessary if you disconnected it. If there is any water left in it and it freezes it has ends to come out. I also leave my concrete bird bath out all year. The birds use it when the temp is not below freezing. I set the bird bath on a patio block. That way the concrete block absorbs moisture and may crack but that's okay. Much cheaper than a broken BB.

o

The black hoses are very heavy if you need lots of length, but durable..the curly hoses a tangled mess. HD hose kinks and got goiters, then split. I use my hose all winter to water the greenhouse (no water inside greenhouse) so no putting away. I find hoses a general pain in the pitoot! Am very curious about Xhose, but don't want to waste any more money.

o

If this XHose is the same one I've seen in TV Ads I'm getting one. It winds itself up after using.
I have two of the one that oldgardener_2009 pictured and they get caught up in their own coils all the time. They are nice but you cant really stretch them out flat.

o

I don't stretch my curly hose out flat, minni_tx, I use it to water pots in a corner of the deck. It works fine for that purpose. I wouldn't use it to water the lawn. It's good to use on a boat too.

I learned how to keep it from getting tangled up too much...if I turn to the right when using it, I then turn to the left to get it back to position. If you keep turning in one direction, it gets all messed up. LOL

o

I went to water my new plantings this morning, and white water came out! I think that the cheap hose deteriorated from being left in the sun. The water turned clear after I ran it for a few minutes, and my house water is fine, Has anyone ever had this happen??? Needless to say, I threw that hose out.

o

According to reviews I've read it's not worth it.
Like some others I wait until the item is at Walmart.
If I don't like it I can return it right away, get my
money back, and there's no shipping and handling.

o

A frugal soul, I decided the old commercail hose left by previous owners when we moved in 12 yrs. ago had a bit of life left in it, but wanted more length, so bought a coil type to add on. It never coiled back as advertised kept beheading flowers as it flopped about entangling itself more. Into the trash it went & a new 'never kink' attached. Then the beat up ol' commercial got so worn the cotton threads were showing through.

Saw commecial for spray on stuff to stop leaks. Skeptical, but allured by free shipping, I ordered 2 cans.

Weather was quite warm by the time it arrived and I sprayed 3 light coats on worst spots where water was already beginning to seep. I allowed an hour or so drying time between each.

Surprisingly it's still not leaking after almost 5 yrs! Nearly a full can left, used a bit to seal the inside of
a decorative tin.
Suzi

o

Raven mentioned the black rubber Craftsmen hose from Sears and I can also heartily recommend them. We still have the first one we bought nearly 35 years ago we we moved into our first home. We don't give them any special care, leaving them sit outside all winter in the snow. We do disconnect them from the hose bib but that's to protect the pipes, not the hose.

There are heavy but I haven't had a problem dragging them around and depending on where I need the water I might connect 2 or 3 of them. My son even parked his car on one for several days without damage although if you run over the brass fittings you'll probably bend them. But that's an easy repair.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here