Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much did I need to say?

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 9:38

I am going to resign as President of a volunteer organization that I've become more and more disillusioned with over the past three years.

I feel all I need to say is "For personal reason, I am hereby submitting my resignation as President and member of the board of..." and leave it at that. A close friend suggested I may want to say more, but quite frankly, I feel that covers it enough.

There's a lot more to this, but I don't want to go into all the gory details.

I always appreciate the input I receive here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much did I need to say?

I think that says it all.
Sometimes, "Less is More"!

I know this has been a struggle for you, and I am sorry.

o

I too went thru something similar, and what you stated sounds fine to me. Sometimes less is better. Maybe it is time to move on to a different organization or just relax and enjoy time with your family. The job of being a President or leader of ANY organization is never easy. I do wish you the best.
I am enjoying my hobbies so much more with the extra time I have.

o

I can think of two adages that immediately come to mind.

the less said the better
don't burn your bridges behind you

Is it possible that some time in the future you might be interested in volunteering with that organization again?

o

I, too, think your simple statement is the best way to go.

o

I totally agree with everything that has been said. Just resign and move on with your life. There are so many groups that would love to have you as a member that there is no reason to stick with one you don't enjoy anymore. You should enjoy your time and the voluntter work you do not dread it. Dreading is for when you are stuck in a job you can't quit!!!!
Joann

o

Thanks all. I knew I could count on you folks to help me out.

Maire, those are good adages, however, there is no way I'd ever consider going back to that organization.

I do know I can expect at least three phone calls and I guarantee one of them will be "What personal reasons". I'm one of those type who feels the need to explain myself, but not in this case.

Thanks again all.

o

Steve, Maire is right. It really isn't good to say never. I did once, and it came back to bite me.

Moni

o

Steve, be careful with those phone calls. Don't say anything more than what you said in your statement, not to any caller or member of the organization who will be digging for dirt. Whatever you say WILL get back to everyone. If you say in private, "I've had it with So-and-So's behavior at meetings," be assured that So-and-So will hear about it within minutes.

So memorize your statement and stick to it. Been there, etc etc.

o

If you do get those phone calls, just say the reasons are VERY personal and I really don't wish to discuss them.

o

I once left a volunteer post when I felt I'd become 'stale'. I said it was just *time*. I had enjoyed the work, but felt it was time for others to take it forward. So...'Bye!

(Kinda the old breakup line, "It's not you; it's me.")

o

I do know I can expect at least three phone calls and I guarantee one of them will be "What personal reasons".

Here is a suggestion a dear friend gave me years ago, to deal with personal or noisy questions she didn't want to answer.

Personal questioner, "What personal reasons?"

Friend, "I don't believe I said."

After a while the 'personal questioner' soon got the message and backed off.

o

A boss I once had said when people are persistant in asking for the answer to 'why', and you didn't want to be specific, to just say 'it's not for edification' - that stops it right there.

o

or "I've been advised to not say anything more" good answer and will leave them guessing

o

If you're asked about what personal reasons, just give the old Ann Landers answer. "Why do you want to know?" If they say they're just curious, repeat, "it's personal". Say no more. Like you said, you don't need to explain.

o

I wouldn't even say "personal reasons" on the resignation.

I would just state "please accept my resignation as President of ____" It has been a pleasure serving. Thank you".

When asked, just say " I just felt it was time to move on and let someone else take the postition."

In my opinion - it is always good to "change the management" once in a while anyway.

Kuddo's for you on volunteering!

o

on rereading I think iowagirl2006 has the best answer

o

Ditto to all the above!!!

o

I agree with iowagirl2006. Sometimes you really, really WANT to get it off your mind and tell people why you're doing something,, but I think that is EXACTLY when you bite your tongue and just be gracious and go on with your life.....

The less said, the better. Unless, of course, you're LOOKING for a soapbox?

o

Unless you stole money from this organization, no explanation is needed!

o

I agree with Iowagirl. No reason need be given --your choice. Personal reason may just raise more questions that you choose to answer. Again, good luck
Marie

o

Thanks all.

I've been considering this action since our first major flap in March, but decided to tough it out. Well, it didn't get better, but steadily worse which finally culminated in my resigning.

The one thing I forgot was to also send off a formal letter to the organization, which I did this afternoon. Duh, you'd think after all those years of being a secretary/administrative and executive assistant I'd have remembered that.

I wrestled with this all last night which didn't help me any at all and that's when I finally decided "tain't worth it". As I type this I feel like a boulder has been lifted off of my shoulders.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you all for your insight and your patience.

KTer's are the best!

o

I agree with Iowagirl also. When you say personal reasons, it just causes speculation.

o

Thanks for your input Iowagirl and linda in iowa. I went ahead with the "for personal reasons" and then read your suggestion.

I really don't care if it causes speculation. I could give these people a specific reason and some of them would still speculate "hmm, that's not the real reason..."

o

I'm sure you've tried to deliver your message and reasons to the group for quite sometime. If the group doesn't get it, no matter how much more you talk, they won't. Your action should say enough if not all.

I've volunteered and lead various organizations for years. I notice that those who volunteer normally fall into 2 categories: Those that are driven from the heart and those that are driven for the glory & attention. This is where the challenge of being a leader comes in.

Due to my physical condition, I no longer can go out to volunteer. Nevertheless, when the heart is in the right place, there are always plenty of opportunities to do good toward mankind.

o

I'd like to say thanks again to everyone.

It's amazing how much better I feel since I resigned and even more terrific, how better I'm able to sleep.

Someone asked me if I had any regret, and my answer was no, my health and sanity are more important.

o

Then you know you made the right decision! Good for you.

o

So, what ARE your personal reasons????
/
/ /
/ /
/ /

ahahhaa, just kidding!

Have you received those 3 phone calls?

o

So, what ARE your personal reasons????
Yes inquiring minds want to know haha

Congrats On making this big decision. The time will come when you miss certain parts of the job but that is just temporary. Enjoy Life and remember we are still here for you !!

o

Kat and all,

Yes, I did receive three phone calls, but not the ones I expected.

All three were from supportive board members who were concerned, but didn't ask any questions. They just wanted to let me know they were there for me.

I did receive two emails from those that I expected might call. LOL. All they said is basically "What are we going to do now?" Didn't bother answering them as it's not my problem now. Up to the remaining board members to figure it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here