Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pennsylvania Getaway for women?

Posted by pam_25f (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 9:06

We are 4 friends from northern NY looking to meet up somewhere with a friend from Maryland. We were thinking somewhere in PA. So, looking for someplace to go and something to do. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pennsylvania Getaway for women?

The Lancaster area has a lot of outlet shopping, fantastic restaurants, great farmer's markets. As well as attractions like Sight and Sound.

Of course, Philadelphia has fantastic museums, also excellant restaurants, the Philadelphia Zoo, loads of other great places to go.

New Hope is just lovely--beautiful area, antique and other specialty shops, good food, near Peddlar's Village (a quaint little shopping village).

Not Penns. but the Jersey shore is also a 'middle' area, much of it's very nice--Cape May is quiet and Victorian. Ocean City is a family resort that's holding it's own. I'd avoid places like Atlantic City (too dangerous), Wildwood (too carnival-like). There's a nice free zoo in Cape May Courthouse

o

I love HersheyPark (amusement park) and Reading (shopping and the Amish country).

o

The Delaware River divides NY and PA....are you up for some kayaking? You can rent a kayak, life jackets, etc. at one spot, paddle down the gorgeous river (watch eagles, etc.), and disembark at another spot. The company running these will drive you back to your car.

o

Thanks for the quick responses. Now I have some places to check out. Alisande, I wish we were the active kind, but we are not! and we will have my sister with me and she has some physical limitations.

o

I don't want to give you the wrong impression, Pam.....I've never done it either! LOL

Nor have I been to Bushkill Falls, but I've heard it's worth a visit.

o

Azzalea said what I'd say. Lancaster county has neat attractions, good German food, Philadelphia area has great places to visit in a small area. Love the Jersey shore...especially OC. Bucks county is gorgeous with old pre revolutionary house. Further west is Hersheypark and the surrounding areas and a little west is Gettysburg. Lots to do in PA.

o

Philadelphia or the Brandywine Valley. B Valley has Longwood Gardens, Wyeth Museum, wineries, restaurants, Chanticleer Garden ( a short drive), Hagley Museum, Nemours Mansion and Gardens.

But I love Philadelphia the most.

o

I would love to go to Philadelphia, but none of us is a city driver!

o

You don't need a car at all in Philadelphia. Arrive by train and take public transportation and cabs to get around. You can walk a lot of places. It's a very compact city and almost all on a grid, so it's easy to find your way.

o

The Spa at the Hotel Hershey?
They advertise "signature chocolate treatments"!

There's a vineyard/winery in Hershey (wine-tastings!),
and a Tanger outlet center.

Never been -- it just has always seemed to me to be a low-key but nice getaway place.

I was in Lancaster in March and it was OK (I think I liked it better the very first time I went). Didn't think the outlets there were anything to write home about, this time around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here