Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any suggestions for groomsmen gifts?

Posted by maire_cate (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 8:22

I've been looking for some non-traditional gifts for groomsmen. The groom and his attendants are all over 30 and have been friends for over 10 years. 4 of the 5 groomsmen are married with children and none of the traditional gifts would be suitable. They've all been in multiple weddings and have don't have much use for them.

We're trying to avoid the 'standard' items -------
cufflinks, tie tacks, flasks, dresser butler trays, pocket knife, wallet, money clip, pens, cigarette lighter, beer mugs, picture frames.

We did think of one gift - an insulated wine cooler with 2 bottles of a good wine. The carriers are available in a wide price range and some even have 2 glasses included.

I'm hoping a fellow KT member might have some other ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any suggestions for groomsmen gifts?

Everyone I know--including younger folks--is trying to cut down on clutter these days. So avoiding those relatively 'useless' keepsake items is probably a good idea. Does it have to be a 'thing'? Young folks might enjoy a night out at a good restaurant--it wouldn't be a traditional gift, but what about a gift certificate for that? (if the groom and his wife wanted to include free babysitting with that, it would really be an appreciated gift, I think) or to a family attraction (zoo, museum, etc) that they could enjoy with the wife and kids?

If they have homes--something like a tree for the garden?

o

Grilling tools in a case

iTunes gift card...can't think of anyone that wouldn't like that

One of the best gifts I ever saw takes a lot of effort. A guy I know put together pictures and videos of his friends from their shared activities and from their childhoods, set them to music and did a humorous voiceover, all presented to each groomsman on DVD. They watched it at the bachelor party, then he gave each guy their own copy.

o

A magazine subscription, perhaps.

o

We were eating out a few weeks ago and they served the bottle of wine in a really nice 'wine cooler'. It was quite heavy, seemed to be made of marble or glass....very cold too. The server said they were available at BB&Beyond. I am going to look for one, one of these days.

o

do they golf? a place here puts your name on your golf balls...

or in the same vein, a golf cert to a local course...

o

Do they all have to be the same? Gift cards are nice, and even nicer when tailored to each groomsman's individual likes. Some creative thinking is in order, which is a gift in and of itself. As long as the dollar amount is the same, it's all good!

o

My son got married earlier this month. He is a huge baseball fan and plays ball with several of his groomsmen. Baseball was the theme of the groom's cake as well. At the rehearsal dinner he gave the groomsmen their gifts and I thought he was very thoughtful in his choices. To one fellow he gave an autographed baseball (I have no clue who autographed it, LOL), to another a baseball bat with the fellow's name engraved on it, to another a Swiss army type knife. Then to the youngest, my 13 year-old grandson, a card with a promise of lunch out and then a trip to a music store to purchase sheet music or something else of his choice (grandson lives, eats and breathes saxophone).

I say to forget tradition. These are guys he is friends with. He should know their interests and play to those, in my opinion.

o

My son gave his groomsmen custom leather belts.
They were VERY well received!

o

How about a digital picture frame? I've given these with a some preloaded pictures and they have been big hits.

o

We're trying to avoid the 'standard' items -------
cufflinks, tie tacks, flasks, dresser butler trays, pocket knife, wallet, money clip, pens, cigarette lighter, beer mugs, picture frames.
I would still suggest a Made in the USA pocket knife. Even if they have a favorite pocket knife, they do get lost. Even if it isn't carried and used right away, it will be something 'small' (to store for future use), and special. Most men know of and like a quality knife, even if they don't buy them for themselves, making 'do' with something less.

American made Pocket Knives

I'm kind of assuming you are in the USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: A nice smallish Buck knife

o

When my son was a groomsman he received an all=purpose tool called a Leatherman. I think that is the company name and they make several styles. He really likes it and still uses it.

o

My SIL and daughter bought the shirts and ties the groomsmen were going to wear as their gifts.

o

I like the wine cooler idea. Another thought....an engraved ice bucket.

o

What great suggestions - thank you everyone. I'll be sure to pass them along.

It seems that brides have it a little easier since jewelry seems to be the most common gift.

o

The groomsmen are receiving gift ties to wear with their tuxedos. The groom is wearing a satin vest in the family tartan and he's giving each groomsmen a tie that matches his vest.

Speaking of the wine chiller - I looked at BBB's website and they have quite a few in a wide price range.

o

DS received a beautiful letter-opener as a gift.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elegant letter opener gifts

o

I like the idea of a good leather belt. Nobody needs cufflinks,flasks or other things.

o

My son gave all of his male wedding party letter openers, engraved with their name, the last name of the bride and groom and date of the ceremony - everyone loved them.

o

My nephew just got married and had a western theme. He bought all his groomsmen their cowboy boots and hats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here