SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhizo_1

Fourth of July.....what are your plans?

Happy July 4th eve, everybody! What are you going to be doing tomorrow?

Until just recently (yesterday), Robert and I had no particular plans but after a brief chat with a neighbor, a multi-neighbor gathering has been born. Our home will be the epi-center, or should I say....our backyard, and I am totally on board.

All I know now is that extra picnic tables and grills will appear in the yard sometime tomorrow. There have been chats about who will bring what but more about that later.

Any fun plans for you?

Comments (21)

• alisande
    9 years ago

I've been invited to a party, but I won't be staying late. Have to get to bed fairly early in preparation for getting up at 4 a.m. on Sunday when I go to a ham radio event with my son. That will be a packed day because it's little Joey's 3rd birthday, complete with a party in the afternoon.

Happy 4th, everyone!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    9 years ago

Yes, we will have a cook out at daughter Amber and son in law Mike's home. I will fix a lot of the food that will be taken and so will daughter Cheryl. We will have it around five in the evening.

Sue

• Related Discussions

fourth grade students volunteer in schoolyard w/native plants

Q

Comments (2)
    Contact Nature Turf or your local PTA...they have a partner program whereby they donate through the schools PTA something like $50 per yearly yard program to the PTA and they have partners that provide products at cost...like nurseries, landscape supply stores etc... Here is a link that might be useful: Nature Turf
    ...See More

Fourth of July Container

Q

Comments (2)
    The standards are red zonal geraniums, blue lobelia and white bacopa. But any sun loving annuals in that color combo could work.
    ...See More

NEW: Fourth Annual Winter Blues Seed Swap

Q

Comments (50)
    Thank you Sarah and everyone else who contributed to this swap, received my seeds and was very pleased with the selection. Cant wait till see every thing grow, Happy Gardening everyone!! Shirley
    ...See More

Fourth time the charm?

Q

Comments (12)
    So sorry to hear about all the problems with your floor, pbrisjar. When I saw your subject "Fourth time the charm?" I thought you were going to say you had four loads of cabinets, which is what I'm up to now! After 14 months of working with Diamond, Kraftmaid, Merillat, and lastly Omega, I am still cabinet-less. If we had a complete do-over I think we'd go with pre-finished. Who knows, if we had maybe I'd have a functional kitchen already. It's so easy to get caught up with "maybes." Maybe if you had a different brand, or wood type, or different stain, or...or...or. I do the same thing every day. But, in the end, all we can do is keep working and know that one day we'll be able to enjoy our kitchens! So, for the both of us, the fifth time will be the charm!
    ...See More
  • party_music50
    9 years ago

That sounds great, rhizo! I love low stress get-togethers when there aren't big plans involved. :)

I *thought* I'd be going to the lake to see fireworks on either Fri or Sat, but learned that they decided to set them off last night all around the lake. It doesn't make ANY sense, especially since it was a stormy night and the weekend should be clear weather. :(

My mom, sisters, and their families apparently have plans to go to a camp they've rented on a lake north of here, but I wasn't invited. There is a nearby Firemen's Field Day that has fireworks scheduled for Sat, so hopefully I'll see those, but otherwise I have no plans. With luck I'll play some golf, work in my gardens, and cook/bake/eat something really good! :)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

My plans for the 4th are more landscape renovation, weather permitting. Most of our family/friends are out of the country this month, recovering from surgery, or otherwise busy. We'll have simple steak dinner and likely just the two of us.

My nephew is coming for dinner with wife and three kids on Sunday, his request. I don't have a clue yet what the menu will be ;)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Nothing for the fourth, but will go out to dinner with friends on Saturday.
    When the kids were growing up and we had our country house, I always planned something for every three day weekend. Now, not so much.

Rhizo, you are very lucky to have nice neighbors. Our neighborhood has been in a state of renewal with the original homes being torn down and replaced with much larger ones. Of course these homes now have young families and really don't add to my social circle.

• linda_in_iowa
    9 years ago

This weekend our town is having it's Sesquicentennial celebration. Tonight we start at 6 pm with a celebration at Reiman Gardens with a BBQ, municipal band concert and then fireworks, Everyone will bring their lawn chairs or blankets.Tomorrow morning is the parade. Tomorrow afternoon we are attending a friend's wedding and then more activities on Main St. Saturday will be all-day activities. My DS and I are both volunteering at these various activities.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

We will watch the fireworks from our back deck, but I'm not planning any social activities. We will probably see friends later in the weekend, but not tomorrow.

• Alice_sj
    9 years ago

We always stay home on the 4th for the pets and to make sure the neighbors don't burn the house down. DH might be in the local parade, but I forgot to ask him if the team had decided to go or skip this year. I'll be canning some strawberries and blueberries. Our friends do their own things with family or other friends, so we spend a quiet time at home.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ellendi, last thanksgiving we invited all of our immediate neighbors (those directly behind us, on either side, and across the street) to join us. It was a lot of fun and a great chance to forge some friendships.

This event wasn't even my idea, but a neighbor's brainstorm, which makes me happy.

So far, I know that people are bringing burgers, dogs, and brats, and we're going to grill chicken legs and wings. There will be a layered salad, pasta salads, steamed and grilled corn, plenty of fresh fruit and veggies, cherry and blueberry pies. I'm going to make short cakes and cookies, and have plenty of ice cream. There are going to be six kids and ten adults.

I'm off to the store!

• satine_gw
    9 years ago

Happy 4th to everyone. I sure miss the picnics, fireworks etc from years ago. I have no plans but on the 5th two of my three daughters will be at my house in the evening so I think I'll grill some steaks and serve a salad and maybe corn on the cob. Maybe some star shaped sugar cookies for the grands. Satine

• satine_gw
    9 years ago

Happy 4th to everyone. I sure miss the picnics, fireworks etc from years ago. I have no plans but on the 5th two of my three daughters will be at my house in the evening so I think I'll grill some steaks and serve a salad and maybe corn on the cob. Maybe some star shaped sugar cookies for the grands. Satine

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Nothing special. Hope the weather permits 3 days of beach parties with the mobs. Will cook a slab of ribs for munching when the need arises. Sit out at dusk to watch the neighbors lite up the sky and create lots of smoke. Happy 4th to all.

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

Playing golf, weather permitting (thanks to Arthur) and going out to dinner. For years I ran a golf tournament for 16 and had everyone back afterwards for a cook out. I got tired of doing it and no one else picked up the ball. This year our club is running a tournament with a food and beverage event after but I'm just going to play in my normal Friday golf group.

• mojomom
    9 years ago

On a lark, DH and I just loaded up the dog after work today and are headed to the Smokies for a long weekend. We will spend some time just wandering through the park, then meet up with a friend who lives out on nearby river. And probably spend some time at the Highlands before heading home. For years we spent every holiday weekend out there kayaking some really great rivers and probably will visit some old haunts. Feels weird without boats this time, but on the other hand we will get to do more hiking and the dog is going to love it! Weather is supposed to be in the 70s during the day and high 59s at night. Perfect!

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

the guys are golfing, then picking me up to go to ds1...we bought a bunch of ribs and dil was going to slow cook, then finish off on the bbq...we'll be the first to leave....

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Sewing and painting...we'll eat too...lol..

We are having a big housewarming/23rd anniversary party in two weeks...the house isn't quite ready for show yet.

• sjerin
    9 years ago

Nothing but watching a little soccer.

• Orchidllauraga
    9 years ago

One of my old friends from high school and her boyfriend are coming over. We re-met last weekend when I went to her Pampered Chef Party last weekend. So I am looking forward to them coming over.They will come over around noon & we will cook hamburgers & hot dogs for lunch and then when we get hungry again we will grill some pork chops for supper. I am making baked beans, pico de Gallo, and she is making a pasta salad & bringing dessert plus we have a watermelon we can cut..

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

I had planned to do as little as possible, but now I have a fallen tree in the backyard that I need to finish cutting up. I was using my Jeep to haul tree trash to the local compost yard. however, on my last trip, I noted the engine temperature was out of control - It would approach normal and then fall back to cool. Indications are the thermostat has failed. I got all the supplies to service the coolant system and that has to be done tomorrow if I am to use the Jeep on saturday. (The compost yard is open only Monday evenings and part of Saturdays,)

So tomorrrow, I'll be changing the thermostat and while I am at it, I will also change the radiator hoses. The hoses are at least 10 yrs old.

There went my plans to do as little as possible.

We will finish making plans to see our granddaughter on her birthday at the end of July. She is 800 miles away and we will be driving the distance. We will include side trips to sight see and I might stop in Northern Indiana to say hello to my cousin I discovered while researching the family tree.

We'll finalize plans for a second trip in September when I will attend my 60th high school class reunion. It was thought that after the last reunion, there would be no more, but a few classmates who still live in the area managed to arrange for yet one more reunion. Its a little sad because half of us have passed away.

• Hellion
    9 years ago

We have a golf cart parade this morning in our community. We parade from the front to the back to our community center. They put on a great show and then there is a hot dog lunch. Later in the afternoon we will go to a small party with friends and have drinks and supper. I am making deviled eggs and beans.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy 4th of July! Does everybody have their flag up?

I'm getting ready to finish up the deviled eggs this morning. The coucous salad turned out well, the homemade buttermilk ranch/herb dip will be yummy with all of the garden veggies. I made ginger cookies, peanut butter cookies, and shortcake yesterday.

Robert is outside spraying down the patio and furniture, cleaning the Weber, and doing an under the furniture spider check and I need to go and cut some flowers and greenery for the house and tables.

This is fun! And it's a perfect day here; not too hot or muggy, sunny, a bit of a breeze.