Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glenda's Tomato Pie Recipe

Posted by pkramer (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 8:09

Glenda (or anyone else), could you post your recipe again for me? I did a search but no luck.

Thanks!

Peppi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glenda's Tomato Pie Recipe

Hi Peppi,
Here are 2 good recipes. One from Ruthie TX and the other from Glenda.
I plan on making both of them when I buy my bushel of Romas.

Tomato Pie Ruthie_TX
6 servings

1 9-inch pie shell
1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
3-4 plum tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, seeded, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 leaves)*
2 cups grated cheese (combination of sharp Cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozzarella)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon (or more to taste) of Frank's Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
*To slice basil, chiffonade them by stacking the leaves on top of each other, roll them up like a cigar, starting at one end slice the "cigar" crosswise in thin slices.

1 Preheat oven to 350F. Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or longer until lightly golden. If you are starting with a frozen crust, you'll need to cook it a little longer.
2 Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a potato ricer.
3 Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.
4 In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snow ball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
5 Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes. Ruthieg tx

Tomato Pie--- Glenda
3 cups chopped tomatoes, put in colander, salted to pull the juices and squeeze with paper towel.**I used Roma.
MAKE SURE YOU GET AS MUCH JUICE OUT OF THE TOMATO AS POSSIBLE - let set in colander at least 20 minutes to drain, then squeeze with paper towel.
9 inch pie shell, slightly browned, bottom pricked and egg wash.
1/2 onion thinly sliced (much better if you caramelize)
2 cups Italian cheese, grated, or Cheddar will work**I used Kraft Italian
3/4 cup mayonnaise, NOT Miracle Whip
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp Italian seasoning

Place onions, then tomatoes, then top with basil in pie shell.
Mix together mayo, cheeses, garlic and Italian seasoning.
Spread over pie
Bake 350 25-45 minutes. Let cool completely, serve at room temp or slightly heated. I ended up cooking it 45 minutes.
I baked it last nite, put in refrigerator, took it out when I went to water class, and had it in the oven and timer set. Heated it at 250 until warm, 1 hr or less, and I put an aluminum tent over it.
You need to let it set if you are serving it that day, to warm or room temp so it won't be runny.

o

Up here, Tomato pie is made with a thick crust(1/2"),spread with meatless tomato sauce(Italian parsley,garlic and basil), and topped with fine grated Parmesian cheese(the kind you put on spaghetti and meatballs).

And eaten cold.

o

Jasdip, thank you. They both look great.

Monica, here in Chicago we call that pizza for breakfast!

o

This is IT, and is delicious! I used Roma tomatoes. Place where I first had it was a a local tea house and she recommended using Roma tomatoes, so I did.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Glenda's tomato pie recipe, tried and true

3 cups chopped tomatoes, put in colander, salted to pull the juices and squeeze with paper towel.(not finely chopped but coarsly)
9 inch pie shell, slightly browned, bottom pricked and egg wash.
1/2 onion thinly sliced (much better if you caramelize)I didn't but will next time
2 cups Italian cheese grated or cheddar will work
3/4 cup mayonnaise **Hellman's
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp Italian seasoning
Place onions, then tomatoes, then top with basil in pie shell.
Mix together mayo, cheeses, garlic and italian seasoning.
Spread over pie
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the top is lightly golden.

Let the pie rest for about 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature

o

pkramer, I make my own notes when I first made the pie, so please read this from the first recipe

Bake 350 25-45 minutes. Let cool completely, serve at room temp or slightly heated. I ended up cooking it 45 minutes.
DEPENDS ON YOUR OVEN

You need to let it cool for a while, allowing it time to "set"

o

The recipe I posted is copied from one that Glenda posted. It's all her wording, so it's her recommendations.

I haven't made them yet, but will, later this summer.

o

I made this last week and it was delicious! I used much larger, well-drained tomatoes and cheddar cheese. Thanks, Glenda!

o
RE: Gleffffnda's Tomato Pie Recipe

jasdip, you are absolutely correct, in that is the recipe I shared, and I also added a bit to the 2nd one which is the same.

I do that to a lot of my recipes, as I am sure you do as well.

Same tomato pie recipe, just my tweeks :o)

o

jasdip, you are absolutely correct, in that is the recipe I shared, and I also added a bit to the 2nd one which is the same.

o

o
RE: Glenbbbda's Tomato Pie Recipe

mamatoad, you are most welcome! Glad you enjoyed it!

o

Glenda,thank you for posting. On the menu for tomorrow night.

o
RE: Glennnnda's Tomato Pie Recipe

Hope you enjoy as much as I do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here