Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade granite cleaner (recipe)

Posted by maire_cate (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 7:47

When we remodeled our kitchen 7 years ago we replaced our old Formica countertops with granite. The granite we chose is exceptionally dense and non-porous and we haven't had to reseal it since it was installed. It also helps that we've avoided harsh cleaners (windex, vinegar, ammonia or citrus based cleaners) that can etch the surface or strip away the sealer.

I've been using a simple homemade recipe that the installer gave me and thought I'd post it here. The Isopropyl cleans and disinfects but it's a neutral cleaner so it doesn't harm the stone. Just spray the cleaner on the surface and wipe dry. Before using this concoction I researched it online and it is the standard recipe with only a few changes - some sites added 1/2 cup alcohol or used Vodka, others increased the dish detergent and others added 5 to 10 drops of essential oil to mask the alcohol smell. While I just use a paper towel many recommended using a microfiber cloth helps to eliminate streaks.

One quart spray bottle
1/4 cup Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
1 tsp. Dawn detergent
water to fill bottle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade granite cleaner (recipe)

I guess Im in the minority when it comes to my granite. I don't worry about it. When we purchased, I brought up all my concerns about the granite. The kitchen guy would pour orange juice, vinegar etc, whatever he had available in their employee kitchen that concerned me. He let it sit there for hours, (the entire time we were designing the kitchen). Nothing happened. I clean my granite with windex, Mr. Clean, whatever I have. I then polish it with pledge every few weeks. It still looks as good as the day it was installed 7 years ago. As the kitchen guy told me, its rock, granite, if the elements don't hurt it, neither will we.

o

That's true for many granites - but granite is a rock composed of many different elements, stones and minerals and not all of them are as carefree as yours - or mine. Before buying my stone I brought home a 3' slab that was unpolished and unsealed and left it on my counter for a week - to make sure I liked the color but also to test it- we poured vinegar, wine and orange juice and let it sit overnight and we were happy to see that none had been absorbed.

o

Mine is similar:

What you can do is add a quarter cup of isopropyl rubbing alcohol into a quart-size spray bottle - add a couple of drops of liquid dishwashing detergent and then fill this to the top with water.

o

I've been using a 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol (no detergent) on my black granite for the last five years with great success. And a micro cloth.

Jodi-

o

I'm with Jodi, 50/50 and no detergent. Detergent will eventually leave a film and dull its polished surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here