SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldfixer

Magazines

oldfixer
9 years ago

Do you buy - subscribe? I read them at the Dr. office. I've bought a dozen old ones at the library for 10â and taken them to the VA waiting room.

Comments (27)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

The missus and I subscribe to 7 magazines and the missus gets about 4 complimentary professional journals. we also subscribe to our local daily newspaper.

Our attitude is that we gotta feel them. Books, Magazines, Newspaper. Once read, I take the magazines to our county-owned nursing home.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Morning, OF! We subscribe to several magazines, some after they drop the rates to $10 or less. I also recieve a couple of professional journals. I carry a bagful to a senior center every month and some go to a women's shelter.

Sadly, we no longer subscribe to a local paper. The quality began declining dramatically after a consolidation with an out of town publisher. Once they started publishing three times a week....no more for us! It really saddened me; I'd been a daily paper reader since I was a child. That's a very difficult habit to have to break.

Books? I'm utterly satisfied with my kindle and find that I read much more than BK (before kindle) .

• Related Discussions

Country Home magazine--out of business

Q

Comments (30)
    I wasn't happy when I got my March 2009 issue (in Feb) and found out that Country Homes was discontinued and I would be getting Better Homes & Gardens. Here it is June and I haven't seen any issues of BHG. I e-mailed them- they couldn't answer my e-mail (?) so I called them today (6/15). I was told I would get my first issue in OCTOBER! That is 7 months after my last issue of Country Home. Their "customer service" rep told it is was because they didn't have enough magazines yet for all the Country Home subscribers. And then she told me they were extending my subcription until 10/10- two months after my Country Homes subcription would have expired. How is that extending my subcription when you give me 2 extra months but I have to wait 7 months to get the 1st issue. I told them NO THANKS-even though it wasn't a big amount of money I told them send it back and keep your magazine,
    ...See More

Get Latest Magazines Technical Entertainment Magazines For Free

Q

Comments (1)
    No advertising S.V.P. - Audric
    ...See More

WANTED: Very old Workbasket Magazine issues

Q

Comments (127)
    Would love to know what you did with them, as I am in the same position with some that were from both my grandmothers, my mother's and mine, so they go back fairly far. If you have a suggestion I would appreciate it Linda @ salinapalpurple@yahoo.com
    ...See More

Anyone subscribe to the New Yorker magazine?

Q

Comments (18)
    Around here the mail really doesn't like New Yorkers. I have late copies all the time. Last spring I missed 5 copies/weeks in a row, sadly cancelled my subscription, then all 5 arrived the following day and I cancelled my cancellation. Now I haven't gotten an issue since the Dec. 27th one. No one has any explanation, the post office just shrugs.
    ...See More
  • OklaMoni
    9 years ago

I get the family handyman. Great magazine! Lots of hints and articles I kept.

Moni

• alisande
    9 years ago

I used to subscribe to quite a few--and read most of them. Then in recent years I realized many were just piling up, unread, until I donated them to the library for their free basket. So I started dropping them. Now I'm down to Smithsonian, which a friend gives me for Christmas every year. I miss The New Yorker, Poets & Writers, and O, but not enough to resubscribe and have them pile up.

PS: Years ago I loved Good Housekeeping and other women's magazines. Now I look at the covers at the supermarket and roll my eyes at the sameness of every issue: "Secrets" of weight loss, decluttering, anti-aging, and money management revealed--every month! But I still pick up Women's World once in a while, hoping to get published there again (and losing weight, getting rid of clutter, and looking younger while I wait). :-)

• grandma_bonnie
    9 years ago

Reader's Digest and National Geographic here - I also get the Family Handyman...

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

There are 3 National magazines in Canada.....Canadian Living and Chatelaine are women's mags and Style at Home is a decorating magazine.

Chatelaine and CL used to be so good! Full of recipes and ideas, but the past several years it has far too much advertising and they now focus on fashion much more than food. They are also 1/4 of the thickness they used to be. There are 4 pages of food, and the rest is all about style. Catering to the younger crowd, obviously.

I still read them in a waiting room, but I would never ever pay the price to subscribe.

• maxmom96
    9 years ago

I haven't subscribed to any magazine in years, although a few friends gave me their frebbie subscriptions to Vanity Fair, which I enjoyed. I can usually read donated magzines during my volunteer time at our local Friends of the Library shop, although I much prefer reading a book.

Our local newspaper is pretty bad also, and has been for years, but I'm so used to having that morning paper and doing the crossword that I'd really miss it. Seems I only do the puzzle and read the obits to see if I'm still alive.

• chisue
    9 years ago

We subscribe to print and online versions of The Chicago Tribune and The New Yorker. I don't know if DH could eat breakfast without "The Intellectual Section" (Trib Sports Section).

I bring a book to a waiting room or the beauty shop. I still prefer a small book to lugging and holding a heavy tablet.

• naughtykitty
    9 years ago

I get 5 magazines, but Real SImple is the one I can't live without. When I am done I give them all to a co-worker. I like to read thru them on the weekend while watching tv.

• nanny98
    9 years ago

We get a bunch. I dropped all Women's magazines years ago, except for Consumer Reports. DH gets military ones, motorhome ones which I read, and National Parks. The National Parks one is usually too beautiful to toss.... like Geographic which we also no longer take. The photography in the USMC and Military Officer Mags is usually wonderful. I have a hard time recycling them so they do pile up until someone goes to the Salvation Army.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I subscribe to the digital versions of a few magazines and buy e-books. I don't enjoy reading them as much that way, but I love the lack of clutter and waste of paper, so I'm willing to live with the trade-off.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I get a lot of free magazine subscriptions and I have several in digital format including Real Simple which is a nice magazine.
    I have both print and e versions of Diabetes Self Management and Arthritis Self Management. I have not paid for a magazine subscription in many years.
    My neighbor and I swap out with each other on a few we get.
    I share them at our Garden Club meetings and put them out free at our sales, others I donate.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Many public libraries, as part of their internet/digital collections for cardholders, offer access to a service named Zinio.

It may vary, but my library's Zinio subscription includes an incredibly wide range of magazines, including most popular ones you can think of.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I've cut back on magazines over the years. They have Architectural Digest, some of the more expensive where I get my hair done and I enjoy those every 6 or 7 weeks when I'm there, occasionally I'll make a note to look up something online when I get home.

We do get (very inexpensive) Montana Outdoors for the wonderful wildlife photos. Cooking Light, and Traditional Home.

Our paper began just delivering 6 days a week a few years ago, and now it's down to three - 2 afternoon papers and one on Saturday morning. I don't have subscription but DH brings home the Seattle paper most days, often taking his BIL's, sometimes buying. I read through CNN website every day, and check the paper online for events and news in my mothers town for things that might be of interest or concern to me. Her paper allows 15 online log ins a month without a subscription and so far I haven't had to buy one. I do keep a subscription of Birds and Blooms current for her, she gets so little mail, but I don't receive that one myself.

• carol_in_california
    9 years ago

I go to our local library and read the magazines. Especially when it is hot here....the library is air conditioned and our house is not.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I use the zinio app for accessing my digital emagazines. It is a good free app.

• marilyn_c
    9 years ago

Quarter Horse Journal. I used to buy a lot of magazines, and subscribed to quite a few. Once in awhile I will buy a magazine about Flea Marketing and decorating with vintage things, but they are usually around $10 apiece, so I scan through them at the magazine stand and there has to be something really wonderful in there for me to buy them any more. I used to always buy various gardening magazines and Martha Stewart....now I read People and Architectural Digest at my doctor's office. Since I watch almost no tv and haven't been to a movie since 1999, I have no idea who most of the people are in People Magazine....and don't care.

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

We get Time, Forbes and Southern Living.

• Alice_sj
    9 years ago

We get one that gives us a weekly update on all the major news happening around the country and world. My husband likes it when I read it aloud for us. We sometimes take it to dinner with us to read while we enjoy our meal. We have a lot of good discussions.

• Tally
    9 years ago

We only have one subscription to a magazine, and it's one I've subscribed to for 35 years, so can't let that one go.

Most everything else I find on the internet.

I've noticed that a couple of my doctor's offices have stopped offering magazines in the waiting room. I asked one of the nurses why, and she said they decided to stop them because of the number of people handling them daily/weekly. They wanted to minimize the spread of germs, particularly during the flu epidemic a couple of years ago.

I thought that was a real excellent point! I bring something to read on my phone and I don't pick up magazines in any waiting room now since I thought about it. Sick people!!

• pekemom
    9 years ago

Not anymore, but I haven't given up my newspaper yet.

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

I still get Vanity Fair and Southern Living.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Son and I each have one subscription which we read on the tablet. I like it better than a hard copy. For some reason, I would keep old magazines for no good reason. Couldn't bring myself to throw them out! Finally, I decided I would rip out what I loved to re-read, and made notebooks for the pages. I'm down to two notebooks where I revisit old magazine pictures all the time. Recycled what was left. Now, I just flip through virtual pages and that's enough. I also like that I can make a portion of a picture really large when I am trying to see very specific things within the picture. My subscription is so unnecessary, but I love looking-Elle. I am not fashionable, but I love to see the clothes, styles, and really, the ads. My son loves Popular Science. Daddy gives him a hard copy subscription to Smithsonian and National Geographic. Those are fun to look at over and over too.

• lisa_fla
    9 years ago

My rule for myself is they must be $5 or less. I get-
    US Weekly-free 2 year subscription
    Star-$5 year for 2 years
    Famly Circle-free
    All You_$4.99-pays for itself with good coupons in it
    Allrecipes-I think that was $4.99 too-I really like that one!
    Golf Digest-free for DH
    Ladies Home Journal-was free but I think they just quit printed mags
    Wine Entrepeneur-free-don't like it. Going in my garage sale for 25 cents an issue
    Smithsonian-free-DS wasn't reading it. Giving them to DD's BF.

One that was more-Mad Magazine for DS(15). I pay $15 per year-it was a gift which I did renew once.
    Newspaper I think works out to $40 a month. 3 of us read it. DH does gripe about that one. One of these days we might give it up. or go to weekend. After all, it is online.

• User
    9 years ago

I don't like magazines anymore. All they are now is advertisements. There is maybe every other page that is about a magazine article. I also don't like the cheap paper they use now. I don't buy them or subscribe.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

My sister-in-law bought me a subscription to a magazine named "The Week", a weekly news magazine. I was initially not especially interested since like joann_fla said magazines are mostly advertisements. And about half the remaining content are thinly veiled puff pieces that are little more than advertisements. And the rest of the content is obviously slanted towards the political views of the publisher.

However after receiving and reading "The Week" I have been pleasantly surprised. Only about 7 pages out of 44 are ads, the rest is a fairly thorough coverage of the stories from the past week including coverage of how others covered some of the stories.

I'm not sure if I will renew the subscription but I find I read most of the every issue when I receive them.

• monica_pa Grieves
    9 years ago

Only 1 - Good Houskeeping