1/3 cup/.5 oz /15 g finely chopped fresh chives
1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup/.5 oz/15 g freshly grated Parmesan or Gruy�re cheese
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup/3.5 oz /100 g whole grain bread crumbs, plus more if needed
Water, if needed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or clarified butter

Preparation

Combine the quinoa, eggs, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the chives, onion, cheese, and garlic. Add the bread crumbs, stir, and let sit for a few minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture. At this point, you should have a mixture you can easily form into twelve 1-inch/2.5cm thick patties. I err on the very moist side because it makes for a not-overly-dry patty, but you can add more bread crumbs, a bit at a time, to firm up the mixture, if need be. Conversely, a bit more beaten egg or water can be used to moisten the mixture.

Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat, add 6 patties, if they'll fit with some room between each, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms are deeply browned. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes and continue to cook until the patties are browned. Carefully flip the patties with a spatula and cook the second sides for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Alternatively, the quinoa mixture keeps nicely in the refrigerator for a few days; you can cook patties to order, if you prefer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 11, 2012

I haven't tried this yet, but I usually like Tyler's recipes. I may leave out the bacon, or at least part of it.

SPINACH BACON LASAGNE (Tyler Florence)

1 pound ricotta cheese
8 ounces finely chopped spinach, drained
1 tablespoon Romano cheese
2 eggs
16 no-boil lasagna noodles

Sauce:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk, warmed
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups shredded provolone
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 pound bacon

Topping:
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the ricotta, spinach, Romano and eggs in a medium bowl.
Pour 2 quarts hot water into a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Soak the noodles until pliable, and then drain on paper towels. Pour out the water and dry the dish.

For the sauce: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, and then whisk in the flour until a paste bubbles, but avoid browning. Slowly stir in the warm milk until the sauce thickens, and then bring to boil and stir in the nutmeg, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Reduce the heat and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in the Gruyere and Parmesan over low heat until melted, and then fold in the cream. Remove from the heat.

For assembling the lasagna: Spread 1 ladleful of sauce over the bottom of the baking dish, and top with 4 noodles. Spread approximately one-third of the ricotta mixture, one-third of the provolone, one-third of the mozzarella and a three-fourths ladleful of sauce on top. Repeat twice with layers of noodles and filling. Finish with 4 no-boil noodles and cover with the remaining sauce.

Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy, and then drain the bacon grease, reserving 1/4 cup. Crumble the bacon when cool enough to handle. Combine the bacon grease with the breadcrumbs in a small bowl, and then sprinkle on top of the lasagna with the Parmesan. Bake until top is brown, another 20 minutes, and then top with the crumbled bacon. Let cool 15 to 30 minutes, and then garnish with parsley and serve.

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 11, 2012

T&T Farmers casserole

3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup diced cooked ham
1/4 cup chopped green onions
4 eggs
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt

Directions
Place potatoes in an 8 in square baking dish.
Sprinkle with cheese, ham and onions.
Beat eggs, milk, pepper and salt; pour over all.
Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Let set before baking about 30 minutes.
Bake, uncovered, at 350* for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here