SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 3, 2012

luckygardnr
11 years ago

Grilled Tomato Soup

by Alex Guarnaschelli

This is a good recipe when you feel like having a few late spring-early summer tomatoes when they are not yet at the height of the season. I find this is a simple and tasty way to extract the maximum flavor from them. I like to take my time with this recipe and work with the grill when it's not so hot. I really like grilling something and blending that charred flavor into others. That's why I dig this soup.

Serves 6-8 people

3 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise

2 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered

1/2 cup olive oil

Kosher salt

1 tablespoon honey

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated

2 stalks celery, thinly sliced

1 "knob" of ginger, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced

1 poblano pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced

12 ounces tomato juice

1-2 cups water (optional), if needed

Grill the tomatoes and onions:

In a large bowl, gently toss the tomato halves and onions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, a pinch of salt, the honey and oregano. Grill everything on high heat on both sides until nicely charred, but not burned. I find starting in a "hot spot" for a few minutes and rotating them constantly is a great way to begin. Then, to finish cooking them until they are tender, move them to a cooler part of the grill.

Make the rest of the soup:

Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to a medium pot. Stir in the garlic, celery, ginger and poblano. Season with salt and cook over medium heat, stirring, for about 5-8 minutes until the ingredients become tender. Puree the tomatoes and onions thoroughly in the blender with the tomato juice (and a splash of water, if needed) and the remaining olive oil and season to taste.

Pour the tomato liquid over the garlic mixture and gently heat. Taste for seasoning.

Comments (4)