Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 3, 2012

Posted by luckygardnr (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 2:57

Grilled Tomato Soup
by Alex Guarnaschelli

This is a good recipe when you feel like having a few late spring-early summer tomatoes when they are not yet at the height of the season. I find this is a simple and tasty way to extract the maximum flavor from them. I like to take my time with this recipe and work with the grill when it's not so hot. I really like grilling something and blending that charred flavor into others. That's why I dig this soup.

Serves 6-8 people

3 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise
2 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup olive oil
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 "knob" of ginger, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 poblano pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
12 ounces tomato juice
1-2 cups water (optional), if needed

Grill the tomatoes and onions:

In a large bowl, gently toss the tomato halves and onions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, a pinch of salt, the honey and oregano. Grill everything on high heat on both sides until nicely charred, but not burned. I find starting in a "hot spot" for a few minutes and rotating them constantly is a great way to begin. Then, to finish cooking them until they are tender, move them to a cooler part of the grill.

Make the rest of the soup:

Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to a medium pot. Stir in the garlic, celery, ginger and poblano. Season with salt and cook over medium heat, stirring, for about 5-8 minutes until the ingredients become tender. Puree the tomatoes and onions thoroughly in the blender with the tomato juice (and a splash of water, if needed) and the remaining olive oil and season to taste.

Pour the tomato liquid over the garlic mixture and gently heat. Taste for seasoning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 3, 2012

I'd use corn flakes for the coating if I don't have rice krispies.

Baked Chicken Supreme (Kellogg's)
A contemporary version of classic fried chicken, this entree eliminates the need for messy frying, but still delivers a tasty, crisp coating.

4 cups Rice Krispies (crushed to 2 cups)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
3 pounds chicken pieces, washed and patted dry
3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted

Place cereal in shallow dish or pan. Stir in paprika. Set aside. In medium mixing bowl, beat egg and milk slightly. Add flour, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Mix until smooth.

Dip chicken in batter. Coat with cereal. Place in single layer, skin side up in shallow baking pan coated with cooking spray or foil lined. Drizzle with melted margarine.

Bake at 350 degrees about 1 hour or until chicken is tender, no longer pink and juices run clear. Do not cover pan or turn chicken while baking.

o

I think I'll try that chicken, Jas. You can always make rice krispie squares with the leftover cereal.

I saw this on Foodgawker yesterday--just in time for summer cookouts. Kids will love it--including this kid! Being a marshmallow creme lover, I'll add more if I think it needs it.

S'MORES DIP (What Megan's Making)

1 14oz can sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup marshmallow creme
Graham Crackers, for serving

In a small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips and condensed milk on High 1 - 2 minutes, stirring about every 30 seconds, until chips are melted. Mix well. Pour into 9-inch glass pie pan, spreading evenly. Drop marshmallow creme by tablespoonfuls randomly over chocolate mixture. Microwave on High about 30 seconds or until marshmallow creme is softened. Immediately make several swirls through marshmallow and chocolate, creating a marbled appearance. Serve immediately with graham crackers for dipping.

o

Confetti couscous salad

2 cups water or broth
1 (10-ounce) package couscous
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
3 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 (4-ounce) package crumbled feta cheese

Instructions
1.In a medium saucepan, bring water or broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.

2.Lightly fluff couscous and place in a large bowl to cool.

3.Add remaining ingredients except cheese; mix well. Chill at least 2 hours, or overnight.

4.Stir in cheese just before serving.

o

We are having our Garden club lunch this week and it is bring a salad day, any and all types of salads, from fruit to chicken. So I am making this one. I will have it in a bowl surrounded by the scoops tortilla chips (whole grain they are best) So it can be scooped and eaten.Or just put on a plate and eaten.
I use the pre cooked Fajitas meat it comes in beef or chicken by John Soules
John Soules Beef Fajitas

Fajitas black bean salad

Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Prep time: 15 min

Ingredients:
1 to 2 cups diced cooked fajitas meat (optional)
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup fresh, frozen or canned corn kernels *
1 sm jar mild, medium or spicy salsa (your preference)
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with oregano, garlic and/or basil**
1/4 cup good-quality balsamic vinegar
1 to 2 whole avocados , peeled, seeded, and diced

* If using canned corn kernels, drain before using in the salad.

** Diced fresh tomatoes may be substituted. Add some oregano, garlic, and basil.
I like to use the tiny grape tomatoes cut in half, I do add garlic and oregano.
I also add a can of drained small black olives whole or sliced.
I also add about a half cup of grated colby jack cheese added last.

Preparation:

In a large bowl, combine meat, black beans, corn, salsa, tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate until ready to serve (best made 1 to 2 days ahead of time before serving).

Add diced avocado to mixture just before serving.
Serving suggestions:
Place mixture into the hollow of an endive leaf and serve.
Serve in a bowl surrounded by tortilla chips, preferably the scoops type.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here