Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 29, 2012

Posted by luckygardnr (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 2:21

I had this at dinner at a winery in British Columbia. It was absolutely delicious and I can't wait to make some!

Triple Cheese Soft Polenta
Bon Appetit

yield: Serves 6

Ingredients

2 3/4 cups (or more) canned chicken broth
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 5-ounce package soft garlic herb cheese (Boursin makes a good one)
2/3 to 3/4 cup grated Swiss cheese (about 3 ounces)
2/3 to 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese (about 3 1/4 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Preparation

Combine 2 3/4 cups broth and cornmeal in heavy medium saucepan. Place over medium heat. Cook until mixture leaves sides of pan, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in all cheeses and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thin with additional stock if desired.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 29, 2012

White Gazpacho

Two cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 C. sour cream
1 cup plain yogurt
3 C. chicken stock
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper

Combine cucumbers and half the chicken broth in blender. Pour into large bowl. Add remaining stock, sour cream, yogurt, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend and add to cucumber mixture. Mix together and chill at least six hours. Before serving, garnish with chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes, toasted almonds and chopped parsley.

o

Both the polenta and the white gazpacho sound so good but I'd have to eat the entire dish by myself as DH wouldn't ouch them, however I think either of them could be cut in half.

This recipe by Patricia Cornwell, author, appeared in today's Parade sesction of our local newspaper. Jasdip, I particularly thought of you.

Wild Rice Salad with Cashews

1 C uncooked wild rice
4 C chicken broth
3 T. olive oil
1 1/2 C chopped red or green bell pepper
3/4 C cashews, coarsley chopped
2 green onions, sliced

Dressing:
3 T seasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 T olive oil
1 T Asian sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teas. salt
Dash of freshly ground pepper

The interesting part: She is a licensed pilot, and apparently has her own helicopter. Several years ago, she packed a picnic basket, took off in her helicopter and flew to western NC to share this dish with a childhood friend.
How cool is that!!

jude

o

Wow, the white gazpacho sounds delicious! Might take to next potluck!

o

Jude, thanks, I'll be making that one!
I like Patricia Cornwell, and how cool would it be to fly with her!!

BTW, the chicken recipe that I posted yesterday morning (sticky chicken) is a huuuge hit. Hubby couldn't moan enough, eating it! LOL

o
RE:: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 29, 2012

This is in my to-try binder, and all the reviews were excellent.

Linguine with Lemon-Garlic Shrimp (Fine Cooking)

Kosher salt
1/2 lb. dried thin linguine
1 lemon
1 lb. extra-large (26 to 30 per pound) shrimp, peeled and deveined
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
3 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced (1 Tbs.)
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
2 Tbs. thinly sliced chives

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the linguine in the boiling water according to package directions until al dente. Reserve about 3/4 cup of the cooking water and then drain the pasta.

Meanwhile, finely grate 1-1/4 tsp. of zest from the lemon and squeeze 2 Tbs. of juice. Toss the shrimp with 1/2 tsp. of the zest and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper.

In a 12-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat until the foam subsides. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic just begins to brown, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook until just opaque, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and lemon juice, bring to a boil, and cook until slightly reduced, 1 minute.

Add the drained pasta, mascarpone, and 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Toss well, adding more cooking water as needed, until the pasta and shrimp are coated and the sauce looks creamy. Remove from the heat. Toss in the remaining 3/4 tsp. lemon zest and the chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

o

I want to try every recipe posted today.

Georgysmom, your white gazpacho sounds good. The recipes I've read have white grapes added, which seems odd to me, but maybe it's good. I think I like yours best.

Jude, I had the Parade magazine in front of me ready to post the wild rice recipe. Doesn't it sound good?

Luckygardnr, I've never made polenta because I've heard it's just like grits (which I love). But I'm going to make your recipe when our granddaughter and her DH come next month. In fact, I think I'll make all three recipes. Thanks for the menu help, guys!!

This is more of a cool weather dish, at least for us.

CREAMY CROCKPOT SPAGHETTI (Picky Palate)

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or salt
3 jars 26 ounce pasta sauce
1 pound spaghetti noodles
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
4 ounces cream cheese
1-2 cups chicken broth

1. Cook/brown beef into a medium skillet over medium heat until crumbled and browned Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Drain fat from pan if necessary.

2. Pour one jar of pasta sauce into bottom of crock pot on high heat. Break spaghetti noodles in half and place noodles over sauce. Pour cooked beef over noodles, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and top with cubes of cream cheese. Pour another jar of pasta over cream cheese, close lid and let cook on high for 3 hours. After 3 hours, give a good stir (will be thick) and add last jar of pasta sauce and 1-2 cups of chicken broth (more if you want a thinner sauce). Close lid and let cook another hour or until ready to serve.
Makes 10-12 servings

o

The directions for putting together the wild rice recipe are missing, so I'm adding them for Jude.

WILD RICE SALAD WITH CASHEWS (Parade Magazine, Patricia Cornwell) by Jude@KT

1 C uncooked wild rice
4 C chicken broth
3 T. olive oil
1 1/2 C chopped red or green bell pepper
3/4 C cashews, coarsley chopped
2 green onions, sliced
Dressing:
3 T seasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 T olive oil
1 T Asian sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teas. salt
Dash of freshly ground pepper

In a strainer, rinse wild rice. Drain well. In a 3-qt. saucepan, bring rice and chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain excess liquid and set rice aside.

In a medium skillet, heat 3 Tbsp. oil over med.-high heat. At peppers and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add cashews and green onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until nuts begin to brown. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, stir wild rice with bell pepper mixture.

For dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. Serves 6.

o

Well, duh, Patti. Thanks! I think I got a little carried away. All the above recipes sound good to me. Choices, choices, choices.

o

Incredibly delicious! Had this for lunch one day cruising.

Caribbean Pepper Pot Soup

Serves 6
2 TBSP Vegetable Oil
1 Cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 cups sliced okra
1 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup choped green pepper
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup diced yams
1 cup quartered and sliced plantain
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Spaetzle
1/2 lb flour
1/2 cup water
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Directions:
Heat oil in Dutch oil; add onions and garlic. Cook until tender. Add okra, red and green peppers, potatoes, yams and plantain. Saute until lightly browned. Add stock and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 to 3 hours or until soup thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, for Spaetzle, combine flour, water, egg and parsley to form a smooth dough. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Pass dough through a spaetzle mill or colander with large holes. Cook about 3 minutes or until cooked through. Drain; rinse with cold water.
Add Spaetzle to soup. Garnish with Cilantro.

o

Made these over the 4th of July. Everyone said they were good. I don't eat strawberries. :)

Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries

Ingredients:
-1 lb large strawberries
-8 oz. cream cheese, softened (can use 1/3 less fat)
-3-4 tbsp powdered sugar (4 tbsp for a sweeter filling)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-graham cracker crumbs

Directions:
1. Rinse strawberries and cut around the top of the strawberry. Remove the top and clean out with a paring knife, if necessary (some may already be hollow inside). Prep all strawberries and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Add cream cheese mix to a piping bag or ziploc with the corner snipped off. Fill strawberries with cheesecake mixture. Once strawberries are filled, dip the top in graham cracker crumbs. If not serving immediately, refrigerate until serving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheesecake Strawberries

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here