Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 31, 2012

Posted by luckygardnr (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 2:06

Zucchini Pancakes

Ingredients

1 medium zucchini, diced small (or grated)
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
1 egg, lightly beaten (you can use egg substitute if you prefer)
3-4 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray or butter or olive oil

Directions

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except cooking spray/butter/oil, and mix well with a spoon or a whisk.
Spray a large flat pan with cooking spray (or butter or olive oil) and heat over medium heat. When the pan is hot, drop heaping soup spoons of batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 31, 2012

Here are some dressings/marinades for grilling. From Fine Cooking

Italian Dressing Marinade

Bottled Italian dressing is a popular marinade, but this is so much fresher, and you can change the herbs to suit your taste. The small amount of mayonnaise helps emulsify the ingredients. Use for steak, pork, lamb, chicken, fish, scallops, shrimp, or vegetables.
Yields about 2 cups, enough to marinate 2 lb. food

2/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. mayonnaise
3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
1 tsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. dried minced garlic
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Fine sea salt
1 cup olive or canola oil

In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar and wine. Whisk in the mayonnaise until the color is milky white and there are no lumps. Whisk in the fresh garlic, parsley, oregano, sage, dried onion and garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Slowly whisk in the oil until completely incorporated.

The marinade will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Asian Citrus-Ginger-Sesame Marinade

Most Asian-style marinades are heavy on soy sauce, but it's used just as an accent in this bright, citrusy marinade. Confectioners' sugar may seem an odd ingredient here, but it's an ideal substitute for granulated sugar because it dissolves so easily.

This marinade is great for steak, pork, chicken, fish (especially salmon), shellfish, vegetables (especially asparagus and zucchini), or pineapple.

Yields about 1-1/3 cups, enough to marinate 1-1/2 lb. food

1 medium orange, finely grated to yield 1/2 tsp. zest, squeezed to yield 1/3 cup juice
2 medium limes, finely grated to yield 1 tsp. zest, squeezed to yield 1/4 cup juice
2 Tbs. Asian sesame oil
2 Tbs. canola oil
2 Tbs. lower-sodium soy sauce
5 medium cloves garlic, grated on a rasp
2 Tbs. finely grated fresh ginger (from a 2- to 3-inch piece)
1 Tbs. Sriracha or Asian chili garlic sauce
1 Tbs. confectioners' sugar
Fine sea salt

Combine the orange zest and juice, lime zest and juice, sesame and canola oils, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, Sriracha, confectioners' sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a medium bowl.
The marinade will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Spicy Mexican Marinade

Mayonnaise is the perfect base for a marinade. Here, it takes the place of oil and keeps the marinade ingredients suspended. The lime juice cuts through the richness of the smoky chipotle marinade, and the beer adds depth of flavor. Use for steak, pork, chicken, or fish (especially tuna or halibut steaks).
Yields about 2-1/2 cups, enough to marinate 2-1/2 lb. food

1 7-oz. can chipotles en adobo
1/2 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup dark beer (such as Negra Modelo)
1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice (from 1 medium lime)
Fine sea salt
1 cup mayonnaise; more as needed

In a blender, puree the chipotles and the adobo sauce until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl. In the blender, puree the onion, beer, cilantro, lime juice, and a large pinch of salt. Transfer the mixture to a large nonreactive bowl. Fold in the mayonnaise and 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the chipotle puree, to taste. (Refrigerate the remaining puree for another use; it will keep in an airtight container for at least 1 month.)

Three-Mustard Bistro Marinade

This marinade combines three favorite mustards with classic French ingredients: butter, white wine, and scallions. Honeycup is a brown sugar and spice mustard available nationally; if you can't find it, substitute a honey mustard. Use for steak, pork, lamb, chicken, fish (especially salmon), or vegetables (especially mushrooms and potatoes).
Yields about 3 cups, enough to marinate 3 lb. food

1 8-oz. jar Dijon mustard
1/2 cup grainy mustard
1/4 cup Honeycup mustard
1 cup white wine
4 oz. (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
4 or 5 scallions, trimmed, white and green parts chopped
Fine sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, whisk together the Dijon, grainy mustard, Honeycup mustard, and white wine.

Melt the butter in a 3-quart nonreactive saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the mustard mixture, scallions, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper and heat, whisking, until the sauce has emulsified. Cool completely before using.

Red Wine and Coffee Marinade

The wonderful thing about this marinade is that you're likely to have most of the ingredients on hand. It doesn't contain added salt, so remember to salt your food just before grilling. This marinade is especially good for steak or pork.
Yields about 2-1/2 cups, enough to marinate 2-/2 lb. food

1 cup brewed espresso or very strong black coffee, at room temperature
1 cup full-flavored red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, or Zinfandel
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 medium cloves garlic, grated on a rasp grater
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1-1/2 Tbs. packed dark brown sugar
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Coarsely ground black pepper

In a medium nonreactive bowl, whisk the coffee, wine, olive oil, garlic, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cinnamon, and 2 tsp. pepper until well blended.

o

July is about over. Only one more month of purgatory and our weather should cool off some here. I'll be glad!

This supposedly tastes like KFC. I haven't tried it yet.

BAKED FRIED CHICKEN (Our Life Uncommon)

Put thawed chicken strips in a bowl of milk and marinate 20-30 minutes.

Mix together:

1/2 tsp. Salt
1 T Season All
3/4 tsp Pepper
1 c. Flour
2 tsp. Paprika

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut 1/2 stick of butter into a few pieces and place in a 9x13 pan. Melt butter in pre-heated oven. Shake excess milk off of chicken and completely coat each piece with the seasoning mix. You can either shake the chicken in the bag, until coated, or dip each piece in the bowl until coated.

Place each piece of chicken in the pan. Cook for 20 min. Turn each piece of chicken and continue cooking for 20 more minutes, or until brown.

o

I had this sauce in Key West with conch fritters and t'was delicious!

Key Lime mustard sauce

1 cup mayonnaise
5 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/3 cup key lime juice
salt and pepper Directions:
1 Combine mayonnaise, mustard and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with seafood or as a dip for shrimp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here