Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't sleep

Posted by jkayd_il5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 1:44

I can't go to sleep. I hit a dog with my car last night. He was chasing a rabbit. This was on a country blacktop. My car is still in the dog's owner driveway and will have to be towed, a hole in the radiator. The car can to fixed, the dog no

This post was edited by jkayd_il5 on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 1:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't sleep

sorry

o

I know how awful you feel. I hit a dog once….fortunately I was going very slowly and didn't really injure it. I stopped to tell the owner and couldn't believe the reaction. It was "oh, he's running in front of cars all the time" I was too distressed to let it sink in at the time. Shaking life a leaf. Bottom line, it wasn't your fault. I'm sure knowing it wasn't your fault, doesn't help right now but in time you will realize there was nothing you could do. (((jkayd)))

o

So sorry but some times these things happen and we have no control over them. You had to be terribly upset but it's an accident. You didn't want it to happen but it did and that doesn't make you a bad person, just be easy on yourself. We have a leash law of which I'm thankful as I hit a dog years ago, a beautiful Irish setter but it ran out in front of my car and I had my three small children in the car. I felt just like you. It will take a while to settle down. I'm sure the owners feel some responsibility for this too. Keep busy today and try to let go.

o

Sending you a cyberhug. I recently hit a squirrel--the second time that has happened to me. I felt terrible, but there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. You are a good person to feel bad about it, but please try to get past it. Accidents happen. Sorry about your car. Hugs!

o

Oh, I'm so sorry. I, too, would be devastated, but you know that you couldn't have helped it. I'm sorry for you, for the owners, and for the dog.

Please remember - not your fault.

o

I can sympathize, having hit someone's cat a few months ago. It's not your fault. I hope it was quick for him, and sorry about the car. Peace.

o

I'm sorry, for everyone and the damage to your car too. I doubt if it helps, but it was better you hit it than did a hard swerve risking great injury to yourself. I hope you feel better, and sleep better, soon - you aren't to blame.

o

That is so sad! I hope you're doing better today.

The repairs sound very expensive! Keep in mind that the owner could be liable for the repairs to your car.

o

Even though it wasn't intentional, it sure hurts to kill any animal. We just killed a squirrel the other day and we love squirrels. I think we feed every squirrel in town. But you can't sweve and risk your own life when things like that happen. We've killed a deer too. I got out of the car and cried over that poor deer. I know how you are feeling, but as others have said, it wasn't your fault.

o

I'm so sorry for all involved. It's heartbreaking to be part of an accident, but it was an accident. You had no bad intent. As a decent person, it will hurt for some time, but you have to keep reminding yourself that it's not your fault.

o

Turtles are our problem here in Florida. We have so many storm reservoirs and the little guys travel from one to another during mating season. They are smashed on the road every few miles - just makes you want to cry!

Armadillos are another animal we see lots of. They are so beautiful and I just get sick when I see one hit on the road. We are so over-populated down here during the summer, even people get hit with regularity - very sad!

I'm sorry for your mishap - I know how you feel.

o

I hope you're feeling a little better today jkayd. How awful for this to happen. Sad all around, for you, the dog, the owners. Like everyone else said, it was an accident. That being said, it's going to take some time.

Take care.

o

Thank you everyone. I took a nap yesterday afternoon and slept good last night. My car has more damage than we first thought so I have been talking to insurance agents today. Their insurance will cover the repairs. Hate to go without a car, they did offer me a rental, but we have a pickup I am driving. Just hope the repairs are done fairly quickly.

o

Oh, what a shame -- both the dog and the car. The dog should not have been running loose. I hit the neighbors dog once. Just as I was exiting our street into very busy traffic, the dog bolted from the yard on the corner. If I had not kept going I would have been broadsided. Fortunately, he only had a broken leg and he survived. I was so darn angry with the owner for not having it secured. I stopped but someone else picked it up and took it home. I continued on to work but couldn't do anything all day I was so shaken.

Hope your car is up and running soon. Glad that you got a good night's sleep.

o

This just breaks my heart. I hate when even a squirrel runs out in front of me. I feel so bad for you, I'd be feeling sick about it too, but rest assured it wasn't your fault, and there was nothing you could do.

I hope you get your car back soon.

o

At least you stopped! I was once on a country road, and some kids were walking with their dog....not on a leash on the left side of the road. I slowed down to pass them, and a pick up truck came barreling around to pass me, ran over the dog, right in front of the kids, and kept on going! I stopped, and took them all to a nearby neighbor they knew, the dog, dead in my back seat. They were hysterical, and I was bawling. Was an awful experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here