Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happens to a blocked person's email?

Posted by justlinda (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 7, 09 at 21:48

I use Outlook Express, and was wondering what kind of a message, if any, does a sender get when I have put their email address on the "Blocked Sender" list?

Do they get a gobblety-goop sort of message saying their message couldn't be delivered, or are they informed that they are on a 'blocked' list, or maybe just nothing happens and they think their message was delivered and I'm just not responding.

Always wondered about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happens to a blocked person's email?

I can't say definitively for Outlook, but normally, it's put in a spam folder and/or deleted. There probably would be nothing sent back to them unless they asked for a receipt and you allowed it.

o

I have Outlook Express and mine go directly to the "Delete" folder.

patti

o

Hi pattico,

We had a suspicion that such was their destination when they arrived in your "Inbox".

Actually, if you'd blocked them, they wouldn't be delivered, so you'd not know that they'd been sent, unless your provider so notified you, would they?

But the original poster was asking what kind of message the sender would receive about a message arriving after you'd blocked them.

Have a lovely late spring week ... it's cool here tonight (and they had snow on the Prairies - came up fo WY and MT, we heard).

ole joyful

o

I use Outlook Express, and was wondering what kind of a message, if any, does a sender get when I have put their email address on the "Blocked Sender" list?

If you would like to do a test, you could block me, and I could try emailing you and then post here if I get an email from the 'postmaster' or whatever saying my email was undeliverable.

Just post here, or drop me an email, if you would like for me to do a test with you. I would then email you privately, and not via GW as sometimes GW email is not reliable. I'd post here once I had emailed you, and also post if/when I got an email saying it was undeliverable....or not

LMK...Sue

o

The sender does not get any message.

With Outlook Express - you are just directing the blocked mail to your deleted file. You are still getting it - you just don't see it.

This is from Outlook Express help:

When you block a sender or domain, no e-mail or news message from that sender or domain will arrive in your Inbox or in the news messages you read. E-mail from blocked senders goes directly into your Delete folder.

o

I'm guessing then that they would maybe get some sort of a postmaster email if they were blocked with your email provider...ie Hotmail, Yahoo, or with your ISP, etc.

o

If they DO get a notice (which I don't think they do) it sure hasn't stopped one of DH's buddies from forwarding 100 emails a day! LOL
We have him blocked to avoid jamming up our Inbox. It all goes to the deleted folder. We noticed something happened after about a year of him being blocked. NO emails! That was great, the DH talked to him on the ham radio and he was asking for everyones email addys cause his computer crashed and he'd lost them all! LOL This guy is well known for this and DH gave him our addy again, doesn't matter it goes directly to the deleted items and we just hit delete all and empty it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here