SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Had any fun dental experiences lately?

alisande
9 years ago

I have an ongoing situation involving a dental procedure (more about that in a minute), and every time I mention it to someone they tell me about a dental experience of their own--always worse than mine. Clearly, dental work is a trial to be endured.

And paid for! It bothers me that dental health is ignored in most health insurance plans. Ditto vision coverage. Aren't these things important to our general health and quality of life?

Anyway, on April 30 a molar--root-canaled and crowned many years ago--broke off at gum level. I went to the dentist the next day, and they sent me to an oral surgeon the day after that to have the roots extracted.

That was on May 2, and I have not been able to chew normally since then. The surgical site and incision healed well, but a different kind of pain has made chewing on that side impossible. The diagnosis is a piece of bone "trying to work its way out" (good to know it's making the effort).

I finally realized that my partial is preventing the piece of bone from emerging. I don't know why the oral surgeon didn't figure this out before I did, but I'm going to have to go back again. I hate to do it, because I see yet another x-ray in my future, plus a possible surgical procedure to remove the piece of bone. Or maybe not. We'll see.

Okay, how about your stories?

Comments (18)