SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20093016

what was the best thing your mother taught you?

User
10 years ago

Of course there were many things that my mother taught me but one that has stood me in good stead over a lifetime is "Take your courage in your hands and DO IT!'

Comments (48)

• monica_pa Grieves
    10 years ago

Many things:

She taught me to not wait for others to give me what I want, but to work for it myself.

She taught me to cook, and also to appreciate fine food, both at home and fine restaurants.

But, most of all, she taught me to appreciate family and family heritage.

• Jodi_SoCal
    10 years ago

Always return whatever you borrowed in better shape than when you got it.

Always respect people's property.

And always remember ... this too shall pass.

Jodi-

• Related Discussions

Things my Mom taught me....

Q

Comments (1)
    My Mom told me..."no answer" is also an answer.
    ...See More

And Now: What was the best thing your father taught you??

Q

Comments (38)
    A love of languages. Just because you are good at something doesn't mean you have to WIN all the time, you still want to have fun playing the game. This is a hard lesson. There are things I could do blindfolded (playing pool, mini golf, euchre and so on) so the game became boring to me. But I never learned how to play for FUN. Now I am not saying that I am a poor loser........I just sometimes have trouble having FUN playing things. Observe. If you want to know about a person, look at their shoes. Pay attention to how they treat animals and "service" people, their parents, and their siblings. Dances.
    ...See More

Mother of Pearl--My personal "Best of the Year." What's yours?

Q

Comments (5)
    Subk3.. I ordered a mother of pearl for my spring order. How many times did I pass it by at Home Depot ? Haha yours looks wonderful. Beautiful bouquets and photos up above!! I really can't pick one favorite. If I narrowed it down I would say plum perfect, soul sister and fire opal were my favorites. I leave out flamenco Rosita bc I talked about it so much I think y'all will roll your eyes if I mention it again! :) I bought quite a few Austins as well this spring and my favorite of those would be wollerton old hall and I am really enjoying Evelyn now that the weather is cooler . Oh and the few blooms I got from dames de chenoceau just about brought tears to my eyes they were so beautiful and smelled so wonderful. Honestly you are better off asking me which roses I didn't love :) . Subk3.. how's your Phyllis bide
    ...See More

What's the best thing you ever got for Christmas as a child?

Q

Comments (59)
    I think I got turned off on dolls b/c of the “can’t play w/them” rule. My grandma had a cabinet full of dolls, I wasn’t allowed within two feet of the cabinet, ha. I distinctly remember a doll dressed as a nun. I was mesmerized by it. The dolls ended up in the garbage as nobody wanted them when granny was ready to part w/them. Mom adored dolls and her fave was Roberta, a baby looking type of doll which she had in her bed til day she died. Brother threw in in the trash when she passed. I had a fake Barbie, Ken, Midget and I loved sewing outfits for them more more than playing w/dolls themselves. my fave neighbor had an incredible collection of Madame Alexander dolls which went into storage but she eventually abandoned storage and I guess dolls ended in the trash.
    ...See More
  • sudiepav
    10 years ago

Make sure you go to the bathroom before you leave the house. I follow that to this day.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

That things and money don't make you rich.

• nanny98
    10 years ago

To sew. To look at the bright (positive) side of life and its' trials (she was very negative).

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

I am sitting here, thinking... thinking... and the only thing I can really come up with isn't the kind of thing you all are looking for.

Through my mother I learned not to hang around when a husband becomes violent.

Moni

• kim_okla
    10 years ago

Never crack an egg directly in your mixing bowl. Crack it in a cup in case it's bad.

LOL Not the best thing she taught me but it was my first thought, it obviously stuck and I do it. I've never actually seen a bad egg either.

• dances_in_garden
    10 years ago

She taught me that sometimes, there comes a time when you have to roll up your sleeves and do something that needs to be done. Cry/complain/puke about it later, but right now you do what you have to do.

And I am lucky that I can switch it on when I need it, just like her.

Dances.

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

"Make sure you go to the bathroom before you leave the house. I follow that to this day."

And never pass up a clean restroom when you're out, too.

• linda_in_iowa
    10 years ago

She always told me "Your hair is your crowning glory".
    She constantly corrected my grammar. I am forever grateful for that.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

I was raised in foster care, so my mom instilled self esteem in me and my sister. She always said 'believe in yourself and stand up for what you believe is right'.

She taught us that you put everything back in its place when you are done with it, which caused my sister and I to develop O.C.D.! I am 63 and I am still big-time O.C.D. because of her perfectionism.

I am not complaining, but because I expect the same from my children and grandchildren, they do complain sometimes.

• satine_gw
    10 years ago

Always leave the party while you are still having fun.
    Satine

• maid_o_cliff
    10 years ago

Always wear clean underwear when you leave the house!

I have always wondered what was the consequence if you had on dirty skivvies . . .

Red

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

"Tomorrow is another day"

She also was very correct in her grammar usage. My kids hated that about her, though!!!

• sleeperblues
    10 years ago

She has taught me to be kind to people.

• joann23456
    10 years ago

Don't worry what people are thinking about you. They aren't - they're thinking about themselves.

Always put yourself in someone else's before you criticize.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

She taught me how to eat well, work hard, and respect others.

Ironically, I'm teaching her things now that I am older (I'm in my mid-40s). It's a hard row to hoe, but I'm trying to teach her to go with the flow and relax, it'll all work out without trying so hard.

And even more ironically, my son teaches me stuff all the time, things my mother should've taught me. He blows us both away. Must be nice to be such a wise soul. How can someone who is supposed to be learning know more than the teacher? :)

• casey_nfld
    10 years ago

Get your education, you never know when you'll need it. I followed her advice and graduated from university with 2 Bachelor's degrees.

• dees_1
    10 years ago

I honestly have to say I learned more from my dad than my mom. I'm the youngest of 4 so my education came from watching them get in trouble.

Dad taught me how to fix cars, do basic plumbing and construction work. I know what a power tool is and I'm not afraid to use it! He told me to do what I wanted and be confident doing it. He was the one that showed up when I (rarely) got hurt as a kid. He was there for important life things. We laughed about stoopid things (and still do).

Like Moni, I learned what NOT to do from her. Fortunately, there was no abuse in our home. They married young so a lot of the behavior I saw was childish, well into my adult years. I learned that selfishness is unbecoming; be social to a point; there are things people just don't need to know. Most of the stuff is about social interactions. I do miss mom.....she's been gone for 10 years now and was only 64.

• AnnaKay
    10 years ago

If you get something out, put it back where you got it. And, don't talk about your business. She also taught me to always be frugal, though that was by example, not an adage that she repeated. It was a matter of necessity at our house.

• chisue
    10 years ago

My mother was raised by an open and giving father and a suspicious, hard mother. She took on her father's trust in the good in people. My father's betrayal of her trust was devastating, but she soldiered on after their divorce and had a successful career -- while caring for her widowed mother and me.

Everyone loved my mother. I think it was because she was genuinely interested in people. She really *listened*.

When we read "My Last Dutchess" in high school, I immediately thought of my mother, I realized that my father had been jealous not to be the only person she cared about. A year before he died he told me that my mother should have been 'the mayor's wife', concerned about the welfare of others.

It's a hard act to follow. I am something of a 'cause lady', quick to see and try to correct injustices --but I don't possess the same ability to *listen*!

• kathyg_in_mi
    10 years ago

Don't leave house in dirty underwear.
    If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!

• mare_wbpa
    10 years ago

My mother was a great cook and housekeeper, besides being a wonderful mother and all around good person. She taught me everything I know about cooking, and housekeeping. She also taught me how to work hard and never quit.

• sandiefl
    10 years ago

Don't gossip. Don't correct everything someone says.
    Don't hold on to hurts. Concentrate on tomorrow. Mom has been gone for 22 years and sometimes I will still pick up the phone to call and ask for advice...

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    10 years ago

This made me miss my mother today. My stay-at-home mom became a widow with 3 children at the age of 34.
    She picked herself up and went to school to become a
    nurse. Her example taught me never to give up and that
    I can make it no matter what. I lost my best friend and
    teacher when she passed on seven years ago.

• samkaren
    10 years ago

Never co-sign a loan for friends or other family members

Always have an emergency fund of at least 1 years bills (rent, car payments, etc.)

• blfenton
    10 years ago

My mother taught me to accept everyone for who they are and that it is not my place to question people's life choices. I'm not sure I'm explaining that very well but for eg my niece (her granddaughter) used to be a nephew. She had a sex change operation and my 84 year old mom is like - whatever. We have several mixed marriages in our family - my mother doesn't see race, religion or colour. That is a great view to have and we have all learned that by her example.

My MIL on the other hand has taught me how not to be a mother-in-law and by her own behaviour, how cruel gossiping can be. My children have been taught not to gossip and they know why they have been taught that.

• themommy1
    10 years ago

You can always find something nice about everyone.(it might be very small , but you can). And if there is water there is no reason to be dirty.

• susanjf_gw
    10 years ago

there were various things, but nothing profound...

• patty2430
    10 years ago

My parents taught us honesty, faith, and trust. And, maybe not so terribly important, but not a bad thing either, work hard at your job and be so good at it that when you are out for a two-week vacation or gone for good, they'll truly, really miss you!

• juellie1962
    10 years ago

Oh so many things! Like Linda, my mom taught me correct grammar and I too am grateful! She also taught me to give back to the community and to continue to learn, also when I had kids, she taught me to only say no when I meant it, so that my kids knew that no meant no.....very little whining that way!
    Miss my mom more than I ever imagined it was possible!

• chloecat
    10 years ago

She didn't teach me much. She wasn't/isn't much of a cook or housekeeper. She admitted to me when I was a new mom that she had NO IDEA why she had me or what to do with me, and that I pretty much raised myself.

I guess she taught me (or tried to teach me) these things:

It doesn't cost anything to be nice to someone.

Never be the last to leave a party.

• natesgram
    10 years ago

She told me that a marriage is hard work. I didn't believe that could be true when I was engaged, everything seemed so easy. But she was right, it does take work, and I am lucky to say I have had over 4 decades of happy marriage (most of the time)!

She also said don't leave the house without clean underwear.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

To get a degree to prepare me to support myself and high standards of behavior and achievement.

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

She always said to me "monkey see monkey do" when I wanted to do whatever everyone else was doing. This is etched into me now and I absolutely hate all this doing what everyone else is doing stuff I see nowadays. So to be my own person and NOT be a follower.

She taught me how to be frugal too. But she pretty much taught me everything I ever needed to know. :)

• jannie
    10 years ago

Most things turn out well. I inheirited 9or learned) her basic optimism. She taught me to knit.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Personal accountability - your outcome in life is the result of your personal choices and actions; you accept responsibility for the consequences of your choices and actions - good or bad. You don't blame someone else if you fall on tough times and you don't expect someone else to bail you out. You pull yourself up by the bootstraps deal with it.

• frogged
    10 years ago

Life is not always easy and the only one you should rely on is yourself. Get a job and keep it, no calling in sick unless your actually sick, sometimes you have to put up with an ass for a boss cause he is paying your check, If you want something work and save for it. Stay away from things you know are trouble. Not really a fun lesson but her example has been very valuable.

• lindaohnowga
    10 years ago

My mom was an outgoing person, a people lover who taught me that all people are good until they prove themselves to be otherwise.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

She taught me to be independent.

• kittiemom
    10 years ago

My mom taught me my work ethic. She was probably the hardest working person I've ever known.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

She didn't get a chance to teach me much as she passed when I was 9,and that was back in the 40's so things were a lot different then.Plus I was #10 of 12,so most of my learning was thru my siblings,my dad and grampa.

She would be proud of all of us though as we all turned out well,and my sisters and I always say we know she would be proud.

So in retrospect I guess she did teach me how to get along with others.
    I did inherit her love of gardening,sewing,and crafts.She was a millner in her days,and was involved with the pta,the womens club,church and many other things.Don't ask how she did all that,as I wonder myself.
    Kathi

• yayagal
    10 years ago

When in doubt, do nothing. I've used that all my life and it always pays off be it a remark, an action, etc.

• katlan
    10 years ago

Something Mom always told me, and I now tell my kids, nieces and nephews etc......NOTHING every stays the same. Unfortunately not the good, and thankfully not the bad. So enjoy every single blessed, happy moment you get.

Family is everything.

And my mother also said, "This too shall pass".

• rosemaryt
    10 years ago

My mother taught me how to really appreciate, admire, cherish and LOVE old houses.

And that changed my life.

When I was a little girl, she'd walk around our house and say, "I'm so blessed to live in such a beautiful home. Just so richly blessed."

Such things make a deep impression on a little girl.

Rose

• Sally Brownlee
    10 years ago

I resisited most things my mother tried to teach me! She was/is a wonderful cook, housekeeper, mother and wife.

I was a tomboy through and through and tried her patience severely!
    I am still a tomboy of sorts...I would rather be working or playing outside than in. I like to fix and build things. I am very independent. I work in a male dominated field.

BUT somehow or another I managed to inherit or learn quite a few things from her. I am a very good cook (hated when growing up), I am a pretty good gardener (weeding was my chore!) I know how to properly set a table, which dishes to use, and can be a gracious host at a party.

I try very hard to not gossip like she does...I cringe when she tells me something...I smile and try not to say anything to add to or encourage the conversation.

She has never been overly affectionate...but I think the nicest thing she ever said to me was after I told her my exDH had been cheating on me for years. (she loved him dearly)
    She asked me "why did you put up with it for so long?"
    It may be hard to understand, but I heard that comment as support, love and affirmation that I did the right thing and she supported me.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

My Aunt Ruth told me that the best thing "Mama" (her mother, my grandmother) taught Ruth & her 7 sisters was:

"Girls, when you go to town, keep your money in your purse & keep your pants on."

How could anybody improve on that?

• chisue
    10 years ago

Sylvia -- Thanks for the chuckle. Doesn't get any plainer than that!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations