SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

Dilemma at Work

kittiemom
9 years ago

Not quite two years ago, I moved within my company to a position in a different department. I was hesitant about the move for several reasons. The main ones were that I really liked my supervisor at the time, Ann, and knew enough about my new supervisor, Pat, to know that she would be much different. One of the main reasons I switched was that our VP, Maggie, wanted me in the new position. I knew that I could turn the job down, but I was afraid that it would make me look bad and disappoint Maggie, though she was also very happy with me in my first position.
There have been a couple of personnel changes since I moved, and each time Ann has tried to get me to come back to her dept.

I have become increasingly frustrated in this position for a number of reasons. One of them is the ever-increasing workload with no extra staff to help with it. I've been told not to expect that to change next year due to budget constraints. Another is my supervisor. Pat is pleasant enough, but I never feel like I can please her. No matter how hard I work or how good a job I do, she never thanks me or tells me I've done a good job. I'm not one of those people who needs or expects constant praise or thanks, but an occasional acknowledgement would be nice. She is also very controlling and not easy to talk to or go to with problems. I have talked to my co-manager and she feels exactly the same way I do about Pat. I asked her if she would apply for this transfer if she had the experience to do the the job and her reply was, "Absolutely!".

One of Ann's staff has now resigned and there is an opening in her dept. I've talked to her and she immediately told me that the job is mine if I want it. However, Maggie, our VP, will have to approve the transfer.

Maggie will want to know why I want to change positions, particularly since I'm changing from a management to a non-management position. Ann's thoughts, and pretty much mine, are that I will go to Maggie and tell her that while I've enjoyed the job and appreciate the experience I've gained in another area, that I miss what I used to do and would like to go back to doing that.

I don't want to get into my not being really happy with Pat, because Maggie will insist on talking to Pat about it. Then, if she doesn't approve the transfer, I will be in a bad position. And the truth is, I do miss what I used to do. The job I have now is very stressful, with constant deadlines and following up behind other people. I have also considered mentioning to Maggie that with trying to deal with the needs of my dad, who has dementia, that I would like to move to a less stressful position at this time.

Thoughts?

This post was edited by kittiemom on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 21:00

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x