Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery plant

Posted by ravencajun (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 20:22

I have two potted plants that I have no idea what they are. I bought 2 poinsettia plants for Christmas, they eventually died but I kept the pots with soil to re use. They stayed out in the atrium all winter some what sheltered. So fast forward to spring, I was digging in the pot for some dirt to put in another planter, I kept hitting some thing hard, figured it was rocks. My husband was digging in the other pot, same thing happens but he digs down to see what it is. Well it was some sort of fleshy bulbs big sort of pink. So we cover them back up and lo and behold we now have these big nice plants and they are now putting on what looks like buds or pods.
We have been calling them the mystery plants.
Now why these were down there in the bottom of the poinsettia plants is also a mystery.

Please help solve the mystery.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery. plant

Close up of pods

o
RE: Mystery plant

One more

o

Hard to tell but the leaves have a stripe to them, they are not flimsy but not really fleshy. I thought they were going to be some sort of lily. But the bud is small.

o

Anyone??

o

I was thinking of lily too... hmmmmmm do you have another
shot? like a profile shot? I put 2 of these photos in
google images search and couldn't find anything. I wonder
if a side shot would do better? I used the first and
last photos/

o

Wow -- how fun is that to find these planted beneath the poinsettias! I can't help you on an ID, maybe after the blossoms open that will give a better clue. But, how odd that they were there in the first place. And in both pots! I'm guessing the grower had "bulb plant" planted in the pots and for some reason they didn't grow. And then somehow those pots ended up with the bunch of pots that had been filled with soil to start the poinsettias. I wonder what would have happened if the poinsettias had lived.

o

I am guessing that they put bulbs into pots then either forgot or mixed them up. I still had the dead poinsettias in the pots lol
I have a few more pictures, I can take more. We are hoping those things are going to be blooms and then we might be able to id it.
I will post more pictures in the morning, they are on my phone and it's on the charger.
I appreciate any suggestions.

o

It looks a lot like some Asian lily plants I have that are not doing very well.......wait and see what the flowers look like.
I bought cheap bulbs and maybe that is why mine look so puny.

o

could it be false solomon's seal? I couldn't find a picture with just the buds

o

I like it just for the leaves! But I'm partial to foliage plants.

o

I am just guessing here because I don't know much about plants but I am wondering since it came in a poinsettia pot if it could be a type of amaryllis but then again it doesn't look like any amaryllis I have seen

o

It's an oriental lily, lucky you! Mine are blooming now and they smell heavenly.

o

Definitely lilies of some sort. :0) They look like a zone 4 perennial that you could plant outdoors in the fall.

o

I agree that they are some form of a lily, with small buds due to lack of root space. I had some in a tiny little commercial pot; they lived over winter and sent out many buds this spring. Tough plants.

o

What a fun surprise! Please keep us updated. Take the pictures (or the plants) to a good nursery/garden center. Hopefully someone there can ID them.

o

I have lots of Asian lilies in the beds outside but these are much smaller and the buds are really small. They get plenty sun in the atrium but the leaves remain the yellowish striped color.
The way the buds are arranged seems different from the other lilies.
I too think it is a lili of some kind.

It has been providing a bit of fun just wondering what will happen, I look forward to seeing it every day.

I will get more pictures.

Thanks for the ideas!

o

Side view

o
RE: Mystery. plant

Another

o
RE: Mystery plant..

Close up

o

Might it be ginger?

a relative of ginger?

somebody that went to school with ginger?

o

well, I got a perfect match when I googled that photo. It matched THIS POST! lol it has to be a lily of some kind. should bloom soon I would think!

o

It looks like a Stargazer Lily to me.

o

RC, I put your plant pic on Name That Plant here at GW. Some thought it was Asiatic, but one said no, not Asiatic, but asked to have a picture when it blooms.

So if you will post it here, I will post it there. Should be blooming soon.

Sue

o

I also think some type of lily..

o

I will definitely post pictures of the blooms.
I would love for it to be a stargazer they are my favorite flowers.
Do you have the link to the name that plant I didn't know there was one.
Thanks

o

Definitely a lily.

o

Here you go, Raven:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/namegal/

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

o

RC, this started out, hopefully, to be a surprise for you when someone IDed the plant.

I first went to the Test Forum to be sure I could post the pic successfully. I knew there was a forum to ID plants, but didn't remember the name, and glanced through the long list of forums and didn't see it. So I then went to the Garden Party because there are helpful folks there. I told them this was not my plant, but was someone's at the KT.

A poster there gave me the link, and there I was asked to post a pic when it blooms.

So much for trying to surprise you! Remember the old saying: "No good deed goes unpunished."

Someone will able to ID it, I'm sure.

Sue

o

Well thank you for that! I'm impressed you went to that effort. I thought I would link to here so anyone else could have access to the other various angles of pictures.
I am glad you did that because I had no idea there is such a forum and I have now spent a lot of my time looking at all the strange plants needing identification!
One I found very interesting was the Indian pipe I have never seen anything like that.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here