Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A bouquet of flowers from our yard

Posted by jel48 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 18:40

I love old-fashioned flowers.... like the ones my grandma had in her yard. This bouquet is peonies, iris, foxglove, and penstamon, with large hosta leaves in the back!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A bouquet of flowers from our yard

Oh that's just beautiful. I love peonies but they don't grow here in Florida. Those are the biggest hosta leaves I've ever seen. You must have a really green thumb!

o

So very pretty!

o

Lovely! Do your peonies have a splash of red in the very center? Mine do. They're an heirloom variety called Festiva Maxima. Heavenly scent. Thanks for the bouquet!

o

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

o

That is so pretty.

o

That is a very nice boquet, and I like the chair.

o

beautiful!

o

Thanks everyone! Alisande, they do have a splash of red in the center. And they are very, very tall, especially the stems with the blossoms! And heavenly scented :-) I didn't know the variety so thank you for providing that!

Jemdandy, our dining room (like much of our home) is furnished in antique furniture. We have six chairs, matching table and china hutch, and a buffet. We're as nuts about antiques as we are about flowers!

o

Very pretty!! I can almost smell that lovely peony fragrance! I wasn't familiar with penstemon, so I looked it up. And I actually have a small plant of it this year. It came in a potted arrangement I got as a door prize. I just planted it outside in the ground last week.

o
RE: A bouquet of flowers from our ya rd

The Penstemon that I have is called 'Husker Red', Bee. I expect it's a relative to foxglove as it is a form of digitalis. I think of it more as a foliage plant, because the plant is large and the blossom stalk small, but it does have some pretty flowers when it is in bloom.

And scent, the house is full of the peony scent! For me, it's right up there with the smell of lilacs. I love that smell!

Here is a link that might be useful: Husker Red

o

Jel, looking @ your link, I thought maybe on 2nd thought mine isn't penstemon, but then on checking with Wiki.... there are MANY different species of penstemon. Mine has red flower & the bloom resembles foxglove, except that it is a closed blossom (or nearly so) & is a short plant 10" or so high, no spikey leaves either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here