SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

My day at the polls, yesterday

Jasdip
9 years ago

A couple things of interest yesterday, while we worked the provincial election.

1) After she voted a retired lady told us that her friend never votes. She finally convinced her friend to come out and vote. Since she didn't have a voter card, she could register by showing some identification with her name and address.

She doesn't have *anything* with her address on. I asked how she pays her phone bill, as an example, and she just uses a pay as you go cell phone. So she couldn't vote, and her friend says that she'll never try voting again.

2) The other thing which literally broke my heart was a young mom with a little 2-3 yr old in her arms and he was crying his heart out. He was singing "Twinkle Twinkle little star" and reciting the alphabet in between tears and sobs.

I asked if he recited the alphabet when he gets upset and she said that he's autistic. He's terrified of fans, and there were 2 ceiling fans going. He was also out of his routine and wanted to go home and have dinner.

I felt so awful, I had tears in my eyes when she left, and my heart was breaking. That woman had her hands so full, yet she came in to vote. Her day is hectic as anything caring for this little guy, and he's brilliant, as autistic kids tend to be.

Comments (6)