Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All vacationed out!

Posted by alice_sj (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 18:12

My husband and I are back from the Alaskan cruise. (I know I've been gone a long time, but that's another post. And thanks, again, to everyone who answered our pre-cruising questions!) We had fun , but I don't think we're cruise people. (He deals with motion sickness, and I have been dizzy for several days after getting home.) I'm glad we tried it, though.

It was really cool to see orcas "playing" and dolphins swimming alongside the ship, and we really enjoyed the few shows and excursions we did. The steakhouse restaurant on the ship was the best we've ever eaten at.

Glenda, I think you had a much better naturalist on your ship then we had. I wonder if ours was inexperienced, as she had lots of technical difficulties and she kept telling incomplete stories about when her "family came here" to the US, instead of talking about the nature. And then she'd say things like "we passed it a half hour ago, but that was..."

All in all it was an adventure, and my husband and I will laugh for years about the comment from one vacationer from New York who was disappointed the trip and scenery wasn't "more Alaskan."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All vacationed out!

That's sound like my son's wife, on her comment when I went to AK the first time: "Aren't you afraid to go" lol

Yes, we had an excellent naturalist. My GS anticipated the nightly "story telling" by him. Even bought a book signed by the naturalist.

Here's his name, book and excellent reading:
Inside Passage: Living With Killer Whales, Bald Eagles, and Kwakiutl Indians
Michael Modzelewski

Glad you had a great adventure, and have wonderful memories with your husband.

o

What cruise line were you on? My whole family is going on an 11 day cruisetour with Princess end of July. Any pointers?

o

When GS and I went to AK, we were on the Golden Princess, and had a mini suite! Fantastic!

Be sure and indulge in The International Cafe in the lobby. All free! Everything was delicious!

They continually bake and serve chocolate chip cookies and pb cookies. Afternoon they walk around with small glasses of milk to enjoy with your warm cookies!

o

Thanks, Glenda, I've been on Princess before and highly enjoy the IC. The last cruise I was on they had this peanut butter and chocolate pudding thing that was out of this world! I think it's a much better place to eat than the Horizon buffet, which at times was lackluster to say the least.

o

Alice, I'm glad you got to see the big sharks and a lot of nature. I'm sure it was wonderful. I'm not a cruiser. I get motion sickness, too. Not bad, but it affects my equilibrium and a walk around looking like a drunk person--come to think of it, maybe I was :-)

o

It was a Princess cruise. It was our first time, so I don't know that I have any real useful pointers. I do highly recommend the Crown Grill for an extra special (and super filling) meal. For us, it was well worth the money.

I guess, I did find having a couple of light scarves with me to be very useful when it got chilly on the ship or to keep the sun off of me when it was warm on land.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here