SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_in_delaware

slugs! ughhhhhhh

We have a ton of slugs again this year. Seems as if each yr its worse than before. Ive been scooping them up and disposing them into an tall lidded garbage can, carefully not to get that god awful sticky slimey stuff on my hands. Ive heard of the salt or beer method, which seems incredibly cruel to me, but what are some other methods you all use?

Comments (20)

• glenda_al
    9 years ago

I used the beer method in an aluminum pie pan. Worked!

• socks
    9 years ago

That sounds like a horrible amount of slugs.

Didn't you ever salt slugs or snails as a kid? Yes, it works, they foam and die. Maybe it is cruel, I don't know. It is satisfying when they are destroying your plants.

I've used beer in a lid in the garden and caught a few. The most effective is the slug bait you buy with metaldehyde in it. It is toxic to dogs and kids and probably not good for the environment either. I do not use it because I nearly killed my dog with it many years ago.

I use Sluggo which is a much safer product. I think there are some store brands of the same product which are cheaper. It's iron phosphate. You have to put it out often, like every 7-10 days.

Tidy up--Clean up any boards or stuff laying on the ground which gives them a place to hide, don't water any more than needed. Lift up any rocks or decorative items to find any slugs hiding. I just smash them with a rock or something.

• alisande
    9 years ago

I'm another Sluggo user, with much success. It is safe to put around--won't hurt anything but slugs. Not every slug bait product is safe, though, so be sure to check labels if you shop for one.

• susan_on
    9 years ago

I sprinkle crushed egg shells around the base of my plants and they hate crawling over them!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

I use crushed egg shells around plants too. I fill a windex bottle with ammonia and water and spray the slugs when I see them. You need to go out on an early morning patrol with the spray bottle. I also like to sprinkle That's It around the bad areas. I have learned to water in the evening and then dribble some Deadline among the flower bed plants to get the little buggers too.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

One thing about ND===NO Slugs or snails or those yucky green tomato worms.
    Just cold weather.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

What is That's It? It's worth warning Kathy that the 'Deadline' is made of the highly toxic metaldehyde. Many opt not to poison nontarget critters such as birds and toads, including pets.

I've seen egg shell experiments and there's zero results that they work as a deterrent against slugs. Slugs have enough slime to crawl over them without a problem. Fresh crushed shells even attracted the slugs.

If you have just a few plants to protect, a well known deterrent is a small barrier of copper (screen, stripping, foil, flashing, etc.) Slugs will not cross a copper barrier.

The best luck I had controlling slugs was when I used some canteloupe pieces to lure them in, then sprinkled Sluggo bait conservatively in the location.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

A simple 10% solution of regular household ammonia and water (i.e., 1 part ammonia, 10 parts water will do it). Spray on a slug and watch it melt. It won't hurt your plants -- it actually acts as a fertilizer because ammonia is a source of nitrogen. If you know a spot where there are a lot of slugs and their eggs, like under leaves of plants like hostas that provide them shady/cool/moist conditions, you can spray/saturate the area.

• pkramer60
    9 years ago

My hosta's seem to be quite religious as they are holey after all the rain we have had but the infestation is not as bad as past years.

We are now using "Escar-Go" from Gardens Alive. With each $50 order they credit you $25 so it is a great value in addition to working well. It is safe around pets and kids too.

I am going to try the ammonia spray also, so thanks for the tip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens Alive

• sjerin
    9 years ago

Another Sluggo user here, for snails--works pretty well. However, I never could seem to keep them out of my single Hosta--man, they love that stuff!

• socks
    9 years ago

Sjerin, I dug out and threw away my hostas just deciding that they are not meant for my garden. It's really difficult to keep the slugs from eating them up. When I see big beautiful hostas in garden photos, I just wonder how they do it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

In case you haven't done so, you should visit the popular Hosta Forum just tk do a 'search' on slugs. There are hundreds of posts about slugs over there!

• ont_gal
    9 years ago

I have grown hosta for years,and have always used egg shells-have the picture book hosta beds and no slugs

• susan_on
    9 years ago

I wash the egg shells, dry them and crush them and keep them in mason jars until I sprinkle them around the plants. All I know is that I used to have slug problems and now I don't. I'm happy that I'm not hurting the environment and my problem is gone :)

• vicki7
    9 years ago

For some reason, the slugs don't care for my hostas, but love to eat my dahlias. I've had great success with surrounding the plants with a coat of very coarse sand... not the smooth white sand that children play with. They don't seem to want to crawl across it.
    Hubby says 'why don't you just put a layer of salt all around the plants?' But I'm sure that would eventually kill the plant.

• chessey24
    9 years ago

I've always used the tin plate of beer - it works and they die happy.

• oldgardener_2009
    9 years ago

Hubby goes out looking for them in the early morning, uses a sharp stick on them. I can't even watch. :(

• sjerin
    9 years ago

Socks, I guess big, beautiful Hostas = lotsa pesticide. Unless they live in ND. :)

• Kathy_in_Delaware
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the responses. Sorry but I just cant do the ammonia or slice method (insert icky face here), lol. A trip to Lowes is gonna have to work for now, at least I have an idea what to look for, thanks everyone, Im gonna give the sluggo a try!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Ortho slug bait is excellent!! I also hunt them. Me, a hand held sprayer filled with at 10% household ammonia solution and watch out slugs! It is very VERY satisfying work. Hunting is best early morning after a rain...