SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

scented candles

glenda_al
9 years ago

I purchased, today, the most wonderfully scented candle I think I've ever smelled.

Whenever I want a special gift I always go to English Ivy, and always walk away pleased with my purchase.

Today was no exception.

Bought from their Swan Creek collection of candles one with a lemon thyme scent. Such a light clean fragrance. I might have to go back and gift myself with one.

This is what it says about the candles: Lead Free, Fragrant American Soybean Wax Candles!

Not into strong smelling candles and think this one will do the job :o)

So do you have a fravotie candle scent?

This post was edited by glenda_al on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 16:30

Comments (25)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I absolutely love Circle E brand candles. Every scent I have tried was wonderful and not over powering. I have scent allergies so many candles I can't tolerate but those don't bother me. I think my favorite is tropical paradise. I can imagine I am on a tropical island!

Here is a link that might be useful: Circle E

• kathyg_in_mi
    9 years ago

Unscented!
    Most of them will leave me gasping for air. My DSIL all ways wants us to stay over, but I would probably be dead by morning! I can be around vanilla, but if there are any floral scents, look out!
    Stopped going to church years ago because of perfumes. Even had to leave one sons college graduation because of perfume over load. WHY do people spray so much on? Why don't they just shower daily?
    Sorry for the rant Glenda, just needed to get it out I guess.
    People will give me candles and they go direct to St. Vinnies or the trash.
    Kathy G in MI

• Related Discussions

HAVE: patriotic scented candle crock for ...

Q

Comments (1)
    Thank you!!
    ...See More

Candle soot on walls!

Q

Comments (1)
    Any number of products will work, but the end result will depend on how durable your paint is. If you are renting an apartment and the owner uses cheap builder's grade paint on the walls in a flat finish, any real scrubbing is going to take the paint off. Here are some suggestions: 1/4 cup ammonia and 1 gal warm water, OR TSP substitute in warm water, per the package directions, OR 1/4 cup Dawn liquid dish detergent and 1 gal water. You will have to rinse these products off the walls after cleaning. My sister swears by a concoction of borax, ammonia, and liquid dish detergent, but I don't know the formula.
    ...See More

candles!

Q

Comments (18)
    Anytime I see the word "candles", I just have to check it out!lol I work in a candle shop here in where I live. The lady that started it, started out in her kitchen (as a hobby) and within a couple of months she had to rent and move into a building. A year or so later, she had to move into a much bigger building (where we are now) and the business is booming! We ship candles all over the US and have a few burning in Iraq! We also do wholesale and fundraisers for groups/Churches/Schools,Etc.!! Our most popular and best selling candle is the Pomegranate! I can't post a link here, but if you'd like a link to the website, just email me. (countrybumpkin @ microxl.com) I do know we add more scent to our candles than Yankee!
    ...See More

scenting a candle.....

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi - Thanks for responding. My hubby ordered some scented candle wax for me (cause it was cheap). When it arrived - it was all in a box (several different scents)- nothing was labeled. We have had everyone we know, smell them & know one can figure what the scents are. Some actually stink, that is why I asked about re-scenting them. Appreciate the advice, guess I will toss it out. Tina_2
    ...See More
  • glenda_al
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vanilla, cinnamon are two scents that are very strong for me, and I do not enjoy them.

That's why I shared about the lemon thyme. So light and fresh scented.

I well remember going to church and sitting by a person loaded down with perfume and how miserable I was the rest of the day with nose being irritated by the strong perfume smell.

Completely understand Kathy.

• pekemom
    9 years ago

I have a lot of Yankee candles, then I found Better Homes & Gardens candles at Walmart that had good scents (others from Walmart did not work well) I have quite a few of both of them now and have stopped buying them for awhile. Recently I bought Himalayan salt tea light holders, for the glow, not the scent (although there are scented tea light candles too.)

• Orchidllauraga
    9 years ago

I like the the candles from Bath & Body Works right now I have the Relax Renew scent. I also like Winter and Bellini Cafe. That is what I have in my bedroom. Usually in the afternoons I light them all and take a nap.. I sleep so soundly. And I do wake Relaxed and Renewed...I wish I could shop at English Ivy, but my finances say no.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Oh, I dislike scented candles!!
    In fact hubby and I both get headaches when we walk down the the laundry detergent aisle, and hold our breath walking by a candle store. Even going down the baby lotions aisle to get to someplace else , I wonder how the poor little things can breathe!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I like PartyLite candles (though haven't been to a party, I buy those on Ebay), Archipelago , couple of others, all too expensive to burn regularly ;)

Cannot tolerate vanilla, eucalyptus, evergreen or most cinnamon scents.

I do like the citrus....lemon, lime, lemon grass, grapefruit, even apple and pear. Not the blossom scent, the fruit scent.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I make soy candles..most florals are not my favorite..but I get requests so make them..
    I'm a fruit and bakery girl.

• Alice_sj
    9 years ago

I love citrus herb scents, but I do not use candles. I am too concerned about accidentally starting a fire or getting melted wax all over.

• Tally
    9 years ago

Gave up candles several years ago because of the soot.

I only use tarts now and heat them up in an electric warmer. It gives off a pretty light, and wonderful scents. I buy from e-tailers on line or Yankee, although most Yankee scents don't last long.

Tarts tend to have a higher concentration of scent because the oil content can be higher owing to no contact with flame.

Home fragrance is so wonderful. I really enjoy the scents in my home.

This post was edited by tally on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 0:17

• chisue
    9 years ago

No scents here, and candles only on a birthday cake -- unless there's a power outage.

Once I almost passed out when we checked into our condo. A prior guest or maid had put left plug-in dispensers in every room, including the front hall. Ugh!

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

My house is also a scent free zone, I detest scents of any kind. Nothing smells better than fresh air from open windows.

The two most dreaded situations for me are when there's someone reeking of scent in an elevator and also in a restaurant. You're stuck with nowhere to go. In a restaurant situation, I can't properly taste the food when there's an overwhelming pungent odor.

A few times, I've asked to be moved to a different table when an adjacent diner is stinking up the place. Amusingly, each time I've done that the restaurant staff has laughed and agreed with me about the problem.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so pleased with the fresh smelling lemon thyme.

Think my friend will enjoy as well.

Right now I have my windows up, doors open, until it heats up in the afternoon.

Love fresh crisp air for sleeping.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Don't hardly ever buy smelly candles.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    9 years ago

I don't mind at all candles with a fragrance, but I do not buy them. If I have any they are a gift and usually burn them when the electricity goes out.

Sue

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

We went into a shop in Camden, Maine this past summer that sold Maine-made crafts, art, gifts and tchotchkes. And scented candles. Even though I was looking for a Maine-themed gift for our pet sitter, I could only spend 15 seconds in the store before I had to leave, because of the overpowering candle scent.

My favorite "candles" are the tiny electric tea lights. Smell free, flame free, smoke free, wax-dripping free.

Maybe this preference is partly because I made a winter-themed table centerpiece as a kid-- with twigs to simulate trees, cotton balls to simulate snow, and a candle in the middle all in an aluminum pie plate. I decided to put the centerpiece in place, and light the candle, and then went to get everyone so they could see it. We came back into the kitchen, and the whole thing was aflame. My parents doused it with water, but it was destroyed, and it had melted a hole in the middle of the brand new table cloth and scorched the table beneath it. Traumatic.

• angela_nor_calif
    9 years ago

I usually buy Bath & Body or Yankee Candles. I'm not a floral person at all. I like the more earthy scents or bakery. Love the Fall scents like pumpkin and all pumpkin variations. I have a collection in my closet now waiting for Fall lol. I buy them on clearance after the season for the next year.

• Charlee_MO
    9 years ago

I use the tarts in an electric warmer now. I used to burn candles all the time. I have some battery operated candles that I use.

The fragrances I like now are called "clean cotton" or "fresh linen" etc. I use cinnamon, vanilla, apple scents etc. usually in the fall and winter.

I'll have to check out the lemon/thyme one, Glenda.

• maxmom96
    9 years ago

No scented candles for me either!

I agree about being stranded in a place, like church, where someone is wearing a heavy scent. Actually makes my stomach feel upset. Those cinnamon bun places in malls make me feel the same.

I used to wear perfume until I realized how some people react to it. Now it sits on my dresser, unused.

Men don't seem to care for the smell of scented candles either, I've found.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Well my husband loves a nice smelling candle. He seems to like the vanilla scent which is fine with me because I like vanilla also.

Mostly I use the Scentsy or other waxes. Here lately I haven't really had much luck finding scent that we both like though. They do not have a GOOD vanilla scent at Scentsy, they are way too sweet for our taste. I've been buying the little candles in vanilla from Dollar Tree, I love them!

I'm glad that I'm not real sensitive to fragrances...that would be a total pain in the ...

• ruthieg__tx
    9 years ago

I agree with the no scent people...I can't imagine bombarding my self or friends with artificial smells...

I just about die every time I go to my precious daughter in laws because she loves scent...she and her husband both complain of allergies and I keep thinking (to myself..good little Mother in law that I am) throw away the damned scents and you will be fine....

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

I'm another one who cannot tolerate candle stores. The overdose of scents gets to me. I will admit, though, at Christmas if I can find a candle that has a real pine scent and not something they call pine, I enjoy a mild aroma of the pine.

• nancylee_ky
    9 years ago

At Christmas, I bought a Better Homes & Garden brand candle at Walmart called Freshly Baked Bread. I loved it but could never find it again. It was marketed as a Christmas candle but really could be used any time of year. I'll look for it next Christmas and will buy more than one!

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Why not just bake some bread to get the scent?

• kittiemom
    9 years ago

I love scented candles, but I don't like the overly strong ones nor the ones that just smell completely artificial. In the summer I like fruit scents, especially citrus. In the fall and winter I like things like vanilla or "baked goods" scents. One of my favorites is Woodwick's Cinnamon Chai. During Christmas, I have a Woodwick Frasier Fir burning almost constantly. It smells so much like a real tree and reminds me of going out to get the tree when I was a kid. Floral scents and "linen" scents give me a headache.

This post was edited by kittiemom on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 21:34