SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Everyone Should Have...

azzalea
9 years ago

...a lawyer like this.

Haven't been around for a while--things have been really busy around here, but I just had to brag a little about our family lawyer. He won't see it, but he deserves the accolades, anyway.

Right before he retired, over 2 years ago, my DH was assaulted at work by a customer. The assailant was charged and convicted of the offense (well, the charge was watered down, but at least his guilt was established). Our lawyer advised not suing, because the guy had since filed for bankruptcy. We all decided my husband would just go for the workman's comp he was entitled to for the incident (he was slightly injured, and did recover, thank goodness, but the way he was assaulted could potentially have turned into a life or death situation). So when, this past winter, my DH's workman's comp case was settled, we were satisfied and thought the incident was finally over.

Imagine our shock, yesterday, when we got a letter giving us a court date (in a week) for civil court. ??? When called, our lawyer told DH, "Oh, I decided to sue him, after all"! Apparently, it's pretty much a done deal, and our appearance in court is to rubber stamp whatever the lawyers have decided. We don't know yet what the settlement will be, nor if we'll be able to collect it, but our lawyer must feel it's worth HIS while to travel about 2 hours to a court 2 counties away from his office.

Anyway, he's one of the good ones--he never nickel and dimes us, he goes out of his way to do right by his clients, he's even reduced his fees, or done work pro bono for us when he felt it was warranted to right a wrong. I just feel that so often lawyers are maligned, that it deserves to be noted when one goes above and beyond.

Have you had any really positive professional encounters lately?

Comments (9)