SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

Weird situation

jewelisfabulous
9 years ago

Really puzzled about what happened and would appreciate other's assessment:

My 6th grade boy made a new friend this past school year (another 6th grade boy). They were in and out of each other's homes practically every week-end all year long. The "play dates" were set up by both the boys -- who would then beg for rides -- or, occasionally, by the other mother and myself.

Now that summer is here, we invited the other boy (through his mother) to join us for a day at a local water park. It was clear from the Mom's response that she has some serious water-safety concerns. We tried to alleviate the concerns (mentioning our diligence in actively watching the kids, life guards on duty, etc.). After that one conversation, we didn't hear back from her (or her son). Ultimately, we went to the water park without the boy.

Now, our son has attempted to invite the boy to our house on two other occasions since then and is getting zero response. All the ways he/I usually communicate (email, phone, or text) with the other mom/boy are just going into a black hole. We're getting nothing back but complete "radio silence".

I saw the other Mom from a distance at the grocery store earlier today as we pulled into the parking lot. She was laughing and chatting with her older daughter while loading her groceries into her car. So, it doesn't appear that the family is out of town or dealing with a crisis, etc.

I just don't know what's going on. Frankly, this treatment makes me angry on behalf of my son. Would it be too forward to send one last message to the effect, "I'm sorry if I freaked you out by suggesting the water park trip. I didn't know you had such serious misgivings about it, but certainly respect your concerns. Can we talk? Son really misses his friend."

What do you think?

Comments (14)