Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did you carry a bridal bouquet?

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 15:19

Someone asked me about my wedding today, and that started me thinking about wedding bouquets. My wedding was very small (12 people including the bride and groom), but somewhat formal as it was held at Fifth Avenue Presbyterian, my grandmother's church. I loved my bouquet, which was made of gardenias and ivy. I tried to root the ivy, but didn't succeed. It didn't help that we left on our honeymoon the next morning.

What flowers did you carry at your wedding?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you carry a bridal bouquet?

Yes, I had a bouquet of 'Sterling Silver' roses -- a pale silvery-pink variety.

o

I had a bouquet of red and white roses that were made out of some kind of thin foam. I think they fell apart now. That was in 1974

o

My first wedding was Jan. 1, 1969 - I carried a large cascading bouquet of red roses with a big white Gardenia in the center. WOW, that was a long time ago!

o

50 years ago and I forgot~

They were realy flowers, I remember that.

o

Mine was daisies with baby's breath...my favorite flower at the time and still fond of now.

o

Nope. We eloped. I was lucky that my husband surprised me with a ring 47 years ago.

o

First wedding was standard white bouquet that florist put together
Second wedding 3 years ago was less formal, in chapel.
I forgot to order a bouquet.
Remembered that morning, right before going to hairdresser's. On the way home stopped in supermarket and grabbed a small vase of flowers, and bought it. Came home, took flowers out of vase and wrapped stems with white surgical tape out of medicine cabinet.

And, this is what they looked like !

Photobucket

o

Just a standard cheap bouquet, heck, my wedding gown only cost $25.00.

Maid

o

Today is our 30th anniversary, but it seems like just the other week.

I carried a bouquet of white roses.

o

None. I only knew my husband for 2 weeks before we got married. Nothing fancy, just close family. We were married by a JP. My mother-in-law said to me it would never last but we are still going strong after 46+ years.

o

I can't remember the first time but I think I had a bouquet of some kind.

The second time, I carried a little bouquet of white roses. It was a justice of the peace wedding, nothing fancy.

o

I think my wedding drss cost 69.00 and it was ordered out of the jc penney catalog same with the bridesmaid dresses and they cost about 19.00 I think. We had about 500 people at our wedding with a reception and dance too. My uncle thought I was pregnant when I got married and 3 years and 7 weeks later we had our first child. That was after taking birth control. lol

o

I had a bouquet with a variety of brightly colored flowers. There were reds, yellows, orange, purple, blue and green. I'm not sure even what all kind of flowers I had except I didn't want roses because it was a fall wedding.

o

I'm pretty sure I carried flowers but I don't remember them at all. It was a small wedding, just family. Now happily divorced.

o

yes, I had a bridal bouquet. I had artificial flowers.
Off white, and rust colored I believe. I also had
flowers on my veil headpiece. I don't remember what
the flowers were by the minister. hmmmm lol

o

This is my bouquet (sorry for the quality, it is a scanned picture). After the wedding, I popped the roses back onto their stems. Twelve and a half years later, they are still decorating the entertainment center.

o

Yes, I had a bouquet, and I also had a circlet of flowers in my hair. This was in the mid-1970s, and we were still a little hippyish. Still together.

o

If I answer this question truthfully then everyone will know I've not been exactly "lucky in love," LOL. Being the ever-hopeful romantic I am, I do love weddings and everything traditionally related to them so I'll add my bouquet(s), too.

At my first wedding (1975, very young, "white wedding") I had a small white orchid corsage made from one blossom with silver and white ribbon streamers, pinned to a satin and lace book cover. The cover was on Grandma's Bible and the satin and lace were left overs from the dress I made.

Second wedding, 1980, older and wiser (?), I carried a tussey-mussey nosegay of pink and white carnations with a ton of baby's breath and long white knotted streamers.

Third time (1989 and old enough to know better) is not a charm. I had a bouquet made from a full, huge purple and lavender orchid in a background of greenery with white freesia as filler. More long streamers. I designed it; the florist constructed it. I had a hair wreath of tiny dendrobium orchids, too.

No bouquet when I married Wes. I did have an alter display with white, purple, and mauve carnations, lots of English Ivy and babies breath as a filler. I rooted the ivy and still have it growing everywhere. It's the source for all the English Ivy I leave everywhere. I still have some growing in my living room.

It wasn't a "wedding," but we did marry in a Church, I wore a skirt/suit and we had six guests with us. We celebrated 20 years this month.

o

Caroline, it sounds as though in the end you were very lucky in love. :-)

o

Yes, I had a bouquet. I think it was red and white carnations. We had a Christmas wedding (Dec. 28). I wanted roses for the bouquet but we were paying for the wedding ourselves and roses were out of the budget.

o

I wanted to somehow incorporate a lace hanky that was my grandmother's at her wedding in 1917. I was able to use it as the fabric of a fan in which silk flowers were attached. So no traditional bouquet for me. My bridesmaids also carried fans. That was 31 years ago. I have mine displayed in a shadow box and get to admire it everyday.

o

My first wedding was small -- in the living room of my mother-in-law's house the Sunday before Christmas, 1970. My husband's father died in April, my mother at the end of July, and my father at the beginning of September of that year. So we said "to heck" with the big church wedding that we'd been planning and severely downsized it. My "bouquet" was one long-stemmed red rose.

Fast forward to May 1986. My second (current and final) wedding day was the 5th anniversary of the day when we started "going together." Still a somewhat small wedding. Jodi should be familiar with the place, because it's not too far from where she lives. We were married at Tivoli Terrace, which is on the grounds of the Laguna Art Festival location.

Anyway, my bouquet had five roses (one for each "anniversary") that were white with pink edges (although in the photo they look almost completely pink), and one white rose.

This is a (partial) screen shot of a scanned photo, but it will give you a general idea...

o

My Mother did ALL my wedding planning, long-distance as I was living 500 miles from home and planning to be married in our back yard. She ordered me a small bouquet. I caught the bouquet when my sister got married 4 years after me. I kept it a long time, it dried out and I broke the flowers into a sort of sachet, like "dust" .

o

With my first wedding I had yellow roses. Wedding gown, church wedding etc.

Second wedding was a small outdoor wedding, with just immediate family. I wore a navy and white dress and carried bouquet of cascading white flowers. I remember lilies were the prominent flower.

My now "DH" and I are not married, but living together.

o

I carried a "borrowed" bible. The same small white bible my MIL did. It had a few red roses attached.

o

All these flowers sound lovely. Thanks for sharing, everyone.

Lindsey, now we want to see your face!

o

Married in 1947. Carried white roses with something else mixed in (don't remember just what) My one bridesmaid was my only sister.
Marriage, a very happy one, lasted for 57 years.

Second marriage at age 85 to the man whose proposal I turned down in 1945. He had had a 55-year marriage. I wore an orchid corsage. Going on 5 years now!

o

My first wedding in 86, I carried a bouquet of mauve and white roses...My second and final one in 89..I carried one.white roses with blue accents..

My daughter just got married last Sat and she carried red roses, white lilies and daisies..

o

Seniorgal, that's impressive!!

o

Married in 1953 at the Submarine Base Chapel in Honolulu Hawaii all white wedding, with all orchids. Butterfly ones in a streamer, and some larger ones. Made on the base. Not big but so pretty. Hubby in the Navy.

o

SeniorGal.............are you 90???!!!!!!!!!

o

Yes, I did. I was new in the USA, and my future mother in law did one for me with plastic flowers. I hated it, but did not know how to tell her so. Thus, I carried it.

She was the nicest mother in law anyone could have hoped for. I miss her.

Moni

o

To Jasdip
To answer your question. Not 90 just yet,will be in Sept.
DH will be 94 just 4 days later. A couple of kids still.

o

White lilies and white roses with tulle. Could have been more there but I can't remember (it was 1990) and I didn't take my wedding pics with me when I left him.

o

Wow Seniorgal... that's awesome! Love that you rekindled a old flame.

I didn't have a bouquet at my first wedding, but had a small corsage on my dress. That was a very small (maybe 10 people in attendance) wedding.

My second wedding I had a faux white bouquet with bits of blue in it. I still have it. Hubby and I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary.

o

wedding #1, a beautiful white rose one...

wedding #2 a simple floral one

o

For my first marriage, which was in Israel, I carried trailing sweet peas. They must have been what was blooming in Jerusalem at the time.

Second marriage, at home in Arizona, I carred a large bouquet of alstromeria, my favorite flower at the time. The wedding cake table also had arrangements of alstromeria. The next day, when we left for our homeymoon, we put the rest of the cake and all the flowers in a cooler and drove to San Diego. And there we set the flowers in vases around the room.

o

I carried yellow roses. The bridesmaids dresses were black, something that was not done 24 years ago. My Dad had a fit, but I stuck my ground and the wedding was beautiful.

o

Yes I did but honestly that was so long ago, I couldn't tell you anything beyond the fact that it was made out of white roses.

o

Married by a JP. No bouquet.

o

No bouquet either. We had just graduated college, no money, but he had a job, so we didn't even marry at my hometown but in Scranton where he was just employed. Just a few relatives attended. Kinda sad all I missed out on. I don't know what the rush was. I wasn't pregnant, but my mother kept saying people will think you are. So what. If they could count , then 12 months later , a baby was born. WAYYYYY too young to get married and yes, it's the only marriage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here