SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

what can you tell me about washing machines?

socks
9 years ago

I'm thinking of replacing my top loading washing machine. It's important to conserve water, and I've looked seriously at those agitator-free machines which use just a little water. Apparently you cannot add clothes after the cycle starts. I wonder if anyone here has one of those and if you like it or have any thoughts about that kind of machine.

Comments (46)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I have one that is about 3 months old (an LG) although it is still a top loading one. But I HATE it and if there wasn't a 25% restocking fee I would have returned it.

The cycles, just to TRY to get the clothes clean takes, on my machine, 1 1/2 hrs. The clothes come out so wrinkled, and I have the spin cycle on the lowest level, that even for those no-dryer clothes I have to put them in the dryer for a couple of minutes to try to relax the wrinkles.

Don't ever leave the clothes sitting in the machine for any length of time at all because they will smell so bad and the wrinkles will be even worse.

I hope the thing stops working soon because I will be buying one with an agitator unless, like light bulbs, they become obsolete.

• socks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG, that's horrible! Thanks for the input, and I'm so very sorry about your troubles. Honestly, I wonder if maybe you should "bite the bullet" and return it. Buy an inexpensive, old-fashioned washing machine. You might be happier with the least expensive Home Depot machine!

I'm going to the library today to read Consumer Reports, even tho' it's often difficult to find the exact machines they rate. The articles often give the reader additional things to think about when making a major purchase.

Thanks again. (Glad to give you a chance to vent! LOL)

• Related Discussions

What can you tell me about Blanco Silgranit Sinks (pics please)?

Q

Comments (152)
    I commented on this thread a while back when I was trying to decide between the silgranite white or a darker color. I really wanted white because I thought it'd be prettier but I was afraid of the potential staining problems. Well I went for it and got the silgranite super single sink in white from home depot online. Even though the pictures don't show it, I bought the matching grate as well. I think the grate is a good investment as it protects both the sink and your dishes if you happen to drop them. It's been about 7 months now and I'm still so happy with my choice. I haven't had any problems with staining. I am careful with it as I would be with any item that cost me $300+ but I don't feel it's extreme. I always rinse out the sink after I use it and do at least a weekly clean with a liquid soft scrub unless I've done a lot of cooking. I have a bunch of microfiber cloths I got from Amazon that I use to wipe off any water spray on the counters' edge by the sink. I am meticulous about this because I have very hard water. Overall I love this sink. It's functional and beautiful.
    ...See More

Can you tell me what pasta machine is best...

Q

Comments (3)
    elery bought the KA attachment and I haven't been able to use it successfully yet, partly because by the time I set the KA on the counter and have to reach up to push the dough down the tube, I have to stand on a chair, I'm too short. I've also not gotten the pasta to stay shaped, they tend to clump together and I've decided I need three hands, one to push in the pasta, one to catch the strands as they come out the other side, another to cut off the pasta and lay it to dry without gumming it all up around itself. Nope, don't like the KA pasta attachment much..... Annie
    ...See More

essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?

Q

Comments (8)
    Totally agree with Hvtech42 about the built-in heater. That's because by the time your water travels from your hot water heater to your washing machine, it has cooled so that it is not hot enough to get your clothes really clean. And even if your washing machine is right next to your hot water heater, usually hot water heaters aren't set at a temperature hot enough to wash clothes really clean. That's why you need the extra heat boost of a washing machine's built-in heater. You really should post on the Laundry Forum rather than on this forum. Here is the link: Gardenweb's Laundry Forum
    ...See More

essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?

Q

Comments (9)
    My 10 cents worth: -it must clean clothes (stating the obvious) -absolutely can't leak (we value our house) -must stay in one place when run (again - we value our house) -reliable (you press go - it goes) -durable (they are expensive, you don't want to have to buy one every 3-4 years) -must be a reasonable cost for the projected life expectancy (I require 12-20 yrs) -cycles must be quick (laundry at my house never ends) -must deal with out of balance loads (I wash lots of rugs, shoes, etc) -must offer at least a normal and delicate cycle (wife relates to concept of delicate) -must be energy efficient (money doesn't grow on trees last I checked) -should spin out at least to 300G (I pay for the drying) -has to be simple to operate (no rocket scientists in our house) -must be easy to load and unload (I'm not getting any younger) -must be reasonably quiet (mine is on the first floor, but I can shut a door) -must be offered in materials and colors that are timeless (1970s orange, green,...nasty) -exterior must be easy to keep clean (detergent compartment in particular) -exterior appearance should withstand 20 years of use (and interior for that matter) -should be easy to install and later remove (I do my own appliance installs) -parts must be available when needed (again laundry at my house never ends) -qualified service personnel must be available (doesn't do wash when it won't run) -must come from a company on firm financial ground (see parts and service notes above) -must come from a customer focused company (decisions based on customer needs, not company needs) Things that may have some value to the right person (based on quite a few posters here): -adjustable end-of-cycle signal, at least one loud enough to hear 30 feet away -electric heater - for the times the $&@# hits the fan and you need to nuke the germs -nice styling (ours is in a back room that nobody sees when visiting) -pretty colors (although I would rate stainless steel more timeless) -steam functionality (not sure how this works - see electric heater) -built in detergent/softener/bleach storage and dispensing Always a tough decision since you need to live with it for years unlike the purchase of a vacation. Like picture-in-pictures hocked as a gotta have on TVs 10-15 years ago, do you really need all the bells and whistles touted by the sales guys on the floor? It's just laundry at the end of the day, and we would all prefer to be doing something different if given the choice. laundryvet
    ...See More
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

DD has a front loading LG that is a few years old. I have an old top loading Kenmore/Whirlpool. We both prefer mine. We wanted to soak some stained pj tops and undershirts that her 4 year old has stained badly. She cannot do that in the LG. So finally I had her bring all his pj tops on her next overnight visit here. I did the famous soak in detergent and dish washer detergent overnight, and they came out great. Now I need to remind her to bring her old dishtowels for soaking too since she cannot soak anything in her machine. The companion dryer does a poor job of getting the clothes dry. Seams and collars are usually quite damp as well as thick fabrics sometimes.

This post was edited by sheilajoyce on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 1:16

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

When I needed a new washer, I asked for suggestions here. The overwhelming answer I got was Speed Queen. Well, I bought one that is a heavy duty large capacity top loader with stainless steel tub. It works great and has never given any trouble during the two years that I have had it.

• angelaid
    9 years ago

Ditto sweet betsy. I researched reviews on the Speed Queen after reading about them here. They were a little pricey, but we love, love, love them and they will probably last the rest of our lives.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I have two different sets of friends that had front loading machines installed in their new homes. Both hate them. The smell and the dingy clothes were the biggest complaints.

You're not saving water if you have to wash a load twice. There are other ways to save water, as a household. I'm conscious of it all day. That would be an excellent topic for a new thread!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I was one that recommended Speed Queens, I had the commercial size with all stainless insides the washer and dryer. They were excellent machines. They were still working great when I changed over to the Samsung front loaders I now have which I dearly love too. So I still recommend Speed Queens and also now Samsung. I passed my Speed Queens on to a friend and they are still using them.
    I got my speed queens at a contractors supply store, my contractor told me to go pick out what ever I wanted in appliances and he got them for his contractors price.

• sjerin
    9 years ago

Funny you should ask. Was just talking to my mom who lives with sis, and once again her front-loader sucked up socks and stopped working. She has had several repair calls in the few years she's had it.

• clubm
    9 years ago

We are die hard whirlpool fans when it comes to refrigerators washing &
    dryers. I never had a front loading washing machine always top loading.
    Always had good luck with Whirlpool and they made in USA.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

We've had a front loader for over 12 years and have been extremely happy with it. Top loader agitators batter clothes to death, you'd be surprised how much longer clothes last when instead they tumble gently in a front loader. Our clothes are cleaner and brighter than they ever were before.

Many people wash their clothes using too low a water temperature and also with too much laundry detergent. The amount necessary is often one-third or less than what's recommended on the box. Dirty clothes (of course not delicates) need higher temperatures to get clean, not more detergent. Most front loaders also have fast spin cycles so that clothes dry much faster, whether outside or in a dryer.

Soaking can be done in a bucket or a sink. Spray and Wash (or other similar enzyme products) is a parent's best friend, food and other organic stains need to be treated before they dry and get set into the clothes.

Those who have performance or odor problems with a top loader have had the bad luck of buying the wrong models or brands. They're like anything else, there are good choices and bad ones. There isn't enough money in the world to get us to use a top loader again.

Edit for PS:

There's a Laundry Room forum on this site, I'll bet that's a good place for useful information.

This post was edited by snidely on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 17:40

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Like blfenton I have a top load LG with Wave Force technology that is 21/2 years old and have had no problems with it. You can add clothes..it just stops, unlocks and you put the clothes in and restart. The clothes come out clean...even on speed wash. Of course DH and I work in offices so how dirty do our clothes get? When I do have stains, I use Zout, put the soil level on high and the stains come out. The dryer is fine..clothes don't come out any more wrinkled than any other dryer I've had.

Blfenton....perhaps you are overfilling the machine which is why clothes don't come out clean and are wrinkled from the dryer....just a thought. I never fill it more than halfway

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

I just got a new one a few months ago. After researching here and on line, I bought a Speed Queen. It is nosier than my top of the line Whirlpool front loader which lasted all of 6 years, but I am happy with it. I like the fact that I can lift the lid while in progress and throw something in.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I have a GE agitator less top loader, stainless steel drum. It says you can wash 3 loads of clothes in it....not! They won't get evenly wet or clean. BUT....if I wash a normal size load in it....it's fine.

It does make loud high pitched squeaking noises the whole time it's washing....I wouldn't recommend it.

This post was edited by nicole__ on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 18:21

• chisue
    9 years ago

When we built this house in 2001 I bought the cheapest front load washer, figuring I could replace it three times for the cost of some more heavily advertised brands. If a house-sitter had not overloaded it, I would still have that machine, but I did have to replace it. Now I am still only 'out' $650. It's fine. The dryer is fine too. This is a Frigidaire. (Says 'Heavy Duty' and 'Super Capacity'.)

I love that it spins so much water out and uses so little water and detergent. I use 1/4 cup of Tide per load and 1/4 cup of white vinegar in the 'softener' compartment. I can stop it to add clothes any time before it goes from 'wash' to 'rinse'. I leave the door and dispenser tray ajar to dry the interior when I'm finished using it.

I had our carpenter build a simple wood platform for washer and dryer. I could have stacked these as the controls are on the front, but I wanted to be able to use the surface.

We are just two adults, so I can't attest to how much of a 'work horse' this is.

Why would I want a stainless steel interior in a washer or dishwasher? (Maybe if you have hard water?) I've had enameled interiors for 50 years without any problems.

• frogged
    9 years ago

Have had a whirlpool front loader for 6 years no smell, cleans well, the only draw back is takes longer then a top loader but is easier on cloths, Had a Viking front load that was made in the 60's really great machine just too small.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

My GE that I bought 6 months ago is so quiet, I cannot tell if it is on while I'm in the basement with it. It also has a HUGE tub (3.9 cu ft) so I can now easily wash king size comforters. So far I love it and the price was extremely reasonable at Lowes. Have heard nothing but complaints from two of my friends who have front loaders. One of them cannot close the door to her washer without it stinking. Kinda inconvenient because her laundry room is in a corridor between her kitchen and her powder room. Yeah, she knows there are products you can buy/use to combat the odor, but that is just ridiculous!!!

• linda_in_iowa
    9 years ago

I still love my Frigidaire top loader set I have had for almost 9 years now with no problems. No odor, I leave the washer door open an inch or 2 between uses. I wash most everything in cold water with minimal amount of LE detergent and use white vinegar for fabric softener.

• workoutlady
    9 years ago

I have a front loader. It works fine for me and DH. He gets pretty dirty at work to. My DD just bought a top loader with the agitator but it is low water usage. She noticed that her husbands clothes were not getting clean and the machine was making a loud squealing noise so she called the place that installed it. They fixed the squealing noise (I can't remember what was wrong) and they showed her how to override the low water usage. According to this guy, he said that all machines on the market today have the ability to override the low water usage cycle. Not sure how she does it, but it works fine now. She washes her clothes on the lower water usage cycle and his work clothes on the high water usage cycle.

• renee_fl
    9 years ago

I just bought an LG top load washer (Model: WT1101CW) about a month ago because my washer suddenly stopped working. I decided to try an extra capacity high efficiency washer. I was very, very concerned about the how long a load takes (1 hour +) but it does almost two regular size loads in one so it pretty much balances out (I fill it up). I have always left the door vented on my washers to let them dry (which is one reason I did not want a front load machine) so I never had or have a smell issue. I can stop the machine to add clothes (another reason I did not want a front load machine). My clothes come out clean - even the dirty garden clothes. The model I bought was rated well in Consumer Reports. I did not have high expectations for this washer - I even wondered if I would hate it because of the time factor - but I really like it and am going to buy the matching dryer.

• Rose_NW_PA
    9 years ago

I have a front loader, a 15 year old Maytag Neptune. We bought it to conserve water because of having a well. It does take a longer time to wash a load, but the clothes are clean (and I have washed some pretty dirty work clothes in it). You can add something to mine after it starts by pressing the pause button , then it stops and the door unlocks. I do any presoaking in a small plastic tub in my laundry sink.
    I like it and don't mind the longer cycle time because I do a couple loads of laundry each day instead of many loads one day a week.

• alisande
    9 years ago

I'm another one who recommended the Speed Queen top loader. I love mine. I know several people who have front loading machines and complain about mold and mildew smells.

• ont_gal
    9 years ago

Whirlpool top loading Cabrio-and I love it-I s'pose the only "beef" I would have is that it takes an hour to do a load-no matter how large or small.

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

have the duet set, front loaders...can't complain at all...I have from the 90 minute cycle (but that is for extra large loads, or what they call super white) for dh's dress shirts, it's about 35 minutes...no complaints and when it stopped on me, actually found a u-tube vid and we fixed it ourselves....(a bath rug had shredded, and clogged the drain)

• alisande
    9 years ago

I didn't realize some washing machines use a very long cycle. Sounds like my dishwasher, which surprised me (not in a good way) with how long it takes to wash a load of dishes.

I do my laundry after 7 p.m. because I have one of those electricity plans that gives me free power from 7 to 11. I would hate to have to wait so long for a load of laundry to be done.

• chisue
    9 years ago

Front load washers have to seal tight or you'd have water on the floor. It's no biggie to leave the door ajar an inch to let the interior dry.

My front load washer can be paused at any time during the 'wash' cycle to add something -- more soap, more laundry. Mine has a soak cycle, but I pre-bleach items in a small bucket, then add the contents before starting 'whites'.

I think all water-savers take longer *because* they use less water. My dishdrawer has a very long cycle except for 'rinse only'.

• socks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all. Not sure what I'll do but I doubt the agitator-free and definitely not front load.

• Lindsey_CA
    9 years ago

"Top loader agitators batter clothes to death, you'd be surprised how much longer clothes last when instead they tumble gently in a front loader."

We have a GE top loader with an agitator, but it is so gentle that when it's "agitating" all you hear (and you have to be close to the machine because it's so quiet) is a gentle "swish" noise.

And, the agitator is so gentle that I cannot use it to "felt" knitted items!

• lindaohnowga
    9 years ago

I was another in that other thread who praised the Speed Queen top loader with stainless steel interior. IF ours ever dies, that is the "only" kind I would want to replace it. 44 years and ours is still going strong.

• kittiemom
    9 years ago

I have a front load LG that is about seven years old. I really like it and have no problems with it. I can add items during a load. Prior to that, I had a front load Kenmore for several years and liked it as well.

I always hated my top load with the agitator because it was difficult to wash things like quilts or blankets. It is easy to do in a front load, plus they hold a larger load than the machines with agitators.

• iowagirl2006
    9 years ago

I have a top loader LG. Hate it with a passion.

It DOES NOT CLEAN. If your laundry isn't that dirty to start with, maybe it would be ok - but I have actual dirt, mud, blood, poop, hay, grass, oil, grease, ketchup, sweat, and other assorted icky stuff on my laundry.

I sometimes have to wash things 3 times to get them clean. I have finally figured out how to trick it into filling with more water and that helps.

I have to babysit that #@%! damn machine to get things clean.

It goes off balance easy too. I have one towel that is bigger and heavier than the others. It is a nice thick beach towel. If I happen to have that towel in a load with other regular towels - I cannot get it to finish the cycle. It is always off balance.

Also note that you CAN NOT wash water proof things like rain coats or mattress pads.

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!

I caution anyone from buying any LG top loader machine.

Ok - I feel better now.

:)

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

About 6 years ago, I bought a GE top loader. It is a simple machine - no electronics - controlled by an old fashioned drum switch rotated by a clock motor. It works great.

It washes by oscillating the drum to and fro. There is a center spindle, but that is not powered in the usual sense. It looks like an agitator but is not. The only mechanism it has is a one-way clutch in its hub. It is turned one way in a ratchet fashion by the water sloshing back and forth. It purpose is to roll the wash load over and it does that by pushing the center part of the load down with the outer part of the load rising.

One nice option is a choice of a second rinse or not. We often use the 2nd rinse on our underwear and toweling. I use only a single rinse for everything else.

The machine has been reliable and has performed onvery small loads to very heavy loads. In my opinion, it does the best job on small loads, but performs as well as any other machine on big loads.

• chisue
    9 years ago

If you want to save water...reconsider a front load washer.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Iowagirl.....Are you pre-treating all your stains and using the "Heavily Soiled" feature on your washing machine? I am really impressed with Zout for stains and always use the heavy soil setting when I have sprayed items with Zout. Everything comes out clean in my LG top loader....I haven't had any problems.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I now have a Speed Queen. I had the Duet for over 10 years and was happy when it was time to replace.
    I agree with all the above posts about it becoming smelly etc. but my biggest complaint was not knowing how much detergent to put in. Too much and clothing had a strong detergent or fabric softener smell, too little and you aren't cleaning the clothes.
    I love bring able to open the top and add a little more detergent if needed.
    A repair man suggested Speed Queen, and he certainly had no investment to do so.

• chisue
    9 years ago

I don't understand posts that complain about front loaders becoming 'smelly' or say you can't add to a wash load.

A front loader has to have a sealed washing chamber or it couldn't BE a front loader -- kind of like those heavily advertised 'walk-in' bathtubs.(*) You need to leave the door open after washing to let the chamber dry out. (Perhaps some models have vents that open for this purpose when the machine is not in use?)

You can pause the machine anytime during the wash cycle. The water will settle below the door and the door will unlock. You can add your Whatever to the wash, then resume the wash cycle.

I use white vinegar in the 'softener' dispenser to rid the laundry of residual soap. Soap-free laundry isn't stiff or hard -- no need for 'softener', especially if you use a dryer.

As for time consumed doing laundry, the washer takes longer, but the spin removes so much more water that the drying takes less time.

* I don't understand the appeal of walk-in bathtubs. Wouldn't you have to get in, lock the door, then sit there naked while the tub fills -- and wait again until it is completely empty and the door unlocks to let you out? Brrr.

• socks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chisue, do you have to leave the door open to dry it out? I'd like to try front loaders, but the look of a machine door hanging open in my kitchen would bother me.

As for the walk-in tubs, some people cannot get in and out of a tub easily or at all, thus the appeal of the walk-ins.

I'm still thinking about what machines to get. No rush as mine are still working. I had just about decided to get the LG with no agitator (in spite of iowagirl's hate of her machine!). I went over to the Laundry Forum to see if there was anything new, and there was a conversation that the HE machines do NOT work well with tankless water heaters. I was shocked to read this since we have a tankless, so I wrote LG for confirmation and got a nice reply back quickly, that yes, its true that they do not work well with tankless water heaters because of the sporadic way they fill. Wow, I was glad to find that out because we nearly made a bad mistake.

• ruthieg__tx
    9 years ago

I have a 17 year old Hotpoint that keeps going strong...I bought a new dryer because when we moved here there was a gas package "rebate of $500 so it was like a free dryer...I still have my electric dryer in the garage...wouldn't buy one of the super expensive washers no matter what..I am not a wash fanatic...just want things clean in the easiest, quickest and cheapest way..and I don't think you need one of those big expensive machines to do it...

• monica_pa Grieves
    9 years ago

I don't like my top loader.
    One BIG reason....I have to stand on my toes to get clothes out of the bottom....pulled side muscle more than once, and have to watch losing my balance and falling in !
    I'm 5'1".

• chisue
    9 years ago

Socks -- I leave the door ajar about an inch and the dispenser open even less -- usually just overnight.

The front loader also adds water as needed after the load starts.

(Eliot is barking a hello to Oski...or maybe some dog walked by on our street without applying for his permission.)

• socks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awww...Oski is sending a bark back to Eliot! I hope Eliot is doing well.

Here's the perfect picture of Oski, posing in front of my washer and dryer! LOL! Sometimes I tie him there if I don't want him walking around the house. (Actually, he's not tied, he just thinks he is.)

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by socks12345 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 18:28

• stacey_mb
    9 years ago

Socks - what a cutie you have there!

• joann_fl
    9 years ago

I have a Samsung front loader and I don't really like it. It takes too long to do clothes. average 2 hrs. I would much rather have a top loader again.

• chisue
    9 years ago

Oski looks freshly laundered! Eliot is 14 1/2 and still on the $3/day canned food. He ran a little fever last week; cleared up by Clavamox -- which he tends to throw at his usual hour of 3 a.m.

Re: Washer. I'm fine with our bottom-of-the-line Frigidaire set. Gas dryer is 13; it's matching washer was overloaded by a house-sitter, but the replacement is now seven.

• kitykat
    9 years ago

Always owned top-loaders with a standard agitator. I use the 'perma-press' setting (regular wash speed/gentle spin) on all but towels, using fast spin for them. My machine also has gentle wash/gentle spin as an option. Clothes are clean/fresh/not tattered. I lightly dry, then hang most clothes to finish. We are just two adults, but did the same with three kids.

I did use a front loader for six months in temporary living until a new home was built... HATED IT! Yes, I am yelling. Wrinkles galore, NOISE, huge vibrations even on a tiled/concrete floor, maintenance (leaving door open, smell, gunk on the gasket, undissolved detergent in dispenser) and length of time to complete a load. But, I say to each his own. If you have one and love it, good deal! We are all different in our needs and choices.

However, I do have a question regarding the 'high-efficiency' aspect. Unless someone lives on well water that is slow to recover, or lives in a water challenged area, what is the justification for most users to save water, yet use the extra electricity that 1-1/2 hours to complete a load of wash requires???

I do not condone waste of resources, but this seems like an either/or situation. Comments?

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

I also wonder, most front-loaders are more expensive than a top-loader that uses more water. I'm not sure that your water savings makes up for it.

• marilyn_c
    9 years ago

Iowagirl....that is the same things I have on my clothes...grease, manure, sweat, ground in dirt, and that is my concern too...that our clothes are dirtier than average. A friend of mine went through a crisis a couple of years ago, and for five months, I "house sat" for her, so I used her washing machine to do laundry. It was a new front loader with all the bells and whistles and if any water was in it, you couldn't see it by looking through the glass in the door. It took forever...and a day...to do a load of laundry. I have never had my clothes look so dingy. Once in awhile she came by the house and did some laundry, and one time she put some of my clothes in the washer with a towel that she had mopped up dog pee. First of all, I would never, ever do that...but when they came out of the washer, everything I had smelled like dog urine. I have a plain old GE top loader...very basic. Cleans wonderfully well. I dread the day when all the older machines like that are gone. Yeah, it fills up with water. I don't care. I use a lot of water here anyway. I will conserve some other way.