Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's Your Favorite Cut of Steak/Beef, and Why?

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 13:58

I know very little about steaks. I know that some are reportedly tastier than others, and some really need to be marinated in order to get real flavor. So out of the following, what do you prefer?

Filet Mignon
T-bone
Porterhouse
NY Strip
Ribeye

Any tips on any of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's Your Favorite Cut of Steak/Beef, and Why?

Ribeye!! It's the most tender!

o

My favorite is filet mignon. The tenderness, the flavor, yum! No need to marinate!

o

Porterhouse
Ribeye
filet
prime rib
no marinade but I do like sea salt and cracked pepper

o

I like them all, but ribeye is my favorite. None of the ones you mention need to be marinated, as far as I know.

o

Ribeye! So tender. No rub, no marinade. Just a hit of salt and pepper and then, when it is done (not!), I mean very rare, a bit of garlic seasoned butter on top and get out of my way!

o

Baseball cut filet mignon for tenderness. New York cut for flavor. Both on the rare side of medium. yum

o

Ribeye
Filet Mignon

o

Ribeye/Delmonico medium rare please!

o

Great! And these are all good for the grill?

(Can you tell I'm not too experienced with this???)

o

I like the tender, leanness of filet. Rib eye is good but sometimes too fatty. I think they bough would be good on the grill, don't overcook.

o

Rib eye and Filet M....rare, hot, with a seared crust. Just sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and finished off with a pat of butter.......bwaaaaaaaaa. now I'm going to crave one and there is no place local that knows how cook a steak. hey always come well done and gray inside. I'm just as bad as they are when I try to cook one at home.

o

Indeed they are Suzieque, if you like them 'pre-charcoal'!

o

The only steak I will eat is Prime filet Mignon. Family Christmas dinner is now a Prime Tenderloin roast, instead of turkey...it's worth it.

o

Ribeye
Porterhouse
Filet Mignon

Depending the steak the top two run very close but a good Porterhouse is harder to find.

Filet Mignon is for when i get dragged to a "steakhouse" a where the meat is probably going to be be seasoned and cooked by some line cook who has no clue about steak. Kind of harder to ruin.

I like my steaks well marbled and rare with a just warm center. That used to be medium rare but I always go for rare when dining out.

My father taught me how to spot a good steak in the meat department when I was quite young. Really good steaks are hard to find at the market these days due to the fear of animal fat craze.

o

If it's red meat I love it! Wish we could eat it more often than we do.

o

My mouth is watering. Ok, I'm ON this! Thanks for your opinions and advice!

o

I like all, but the best buy for my money is sirloin.

o

Ribeye here also..DH has to let the meat warm up and then he places it on the grill. When done the steak has to *rest* before we can eat it..But they are so worth it

o

Rib eye for me too. Personally I like fried chicken better :)

Sue

o

I always liked ribeye,I dont like thick meat.with kikomens sauce mmm,on the grill

o

I prefer NY strip - not as fatty as rib eye and generally not as thick as filet mignon. Don't care for the fatty taste or the big thick piece of meat.

o

prime rib

o

my favorite is ribeye first then new york strip. both are the tastiest of all, imo. i just put season salt on them and brown the outsides and serve medium rare. ummmm good!!!

o

Ribeye sprinkled with garlic powder and Hawaiian salt (sea salt).

o

Ribeye
Filet Mignon

I like mine medium, on the grill, with a little worchestershire sauce, garlic and onion seasoning, and course ground black pepper.

My favorite sides are sliced onions, green peppers, and fresh mushrooms, (onions pre-cooked halfway in the microwave) all grilled over foil with some meat drippings on the grill. Add corn on the cob and a slice of deep red ripe fresh tomato and you have a meal fit for a king! Yummmmm!!!

o

A nice thick sirloin with a little Cajun seasoning then cooked medium.

o

Ribeye
Tenderloin
Skirt Steak - marinated in olive oil, oregano and lime juice topped with cucumber and red onion salsa.
Flank steak

o

NY Strip for me!!!

o

Sirloin for me too.

o

I've been craving bone in ribsteak. I'm thinking that's ribeye with the bone, right? Prime rib cut into steaks? That's what we had growing up and its been a really long time. Second choice is strip steak.

I cut and froze a tenderloin that doesn't taste good to me. (Friend said hers was fine...shrug.) I take one of them out every now and then and cook it in spaghetti sauce.

o

From the list I'd say the top is porterhouse then rib eye but my druthers? A great burger or a pot roast.

I still have teeth and like using them. I don't like squishy meat so rare steaks just don't do it for me. But few people understand that getting a steak medium well or even well done does not mean you cremate it and turn it into a hockey puck. I usually do a short marinade on steaks but they don't have to be marinated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here