SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti43

Would you rather have a different first name?

patti43
12 years ago

I've always liked the name Caroline. Kathleen is a close second and I also like Elizabeth.

What are your favorites?

Comments (59)

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    12 years ago

I was always happy with my name.

• chisue
    12 years ago

I was never called by my first name, just my middle name, Sue. This has become a problem now that everything has to be 'legal'. I have a hard time recognizing and answering to my first name. (Big confusion once in a recovery room after surgery. Now I make sure medical records and the card I carry in my wallet show that I answer to SUE!)

• Related Discussions

Would you rather have wind, snow or 20 below?

Q

Comments (29)
    I love winter but this year we broke all records for snowfall. We have had it all - the bitterly cold, the wind and the snow and I went through all this with a broken window in my attic which meant my house always had a chill no matter how hard my furnace tried to keep up. Thankfully that window was replaced a few days ago and the temp in my house has remained steady. Didn't help that my thermostat was next to the attic stairs where the draft would hit it. So glad my 46 year old furnace is one of the good ones. More snow this week and cold temps.
    ...See More

Which would you rather have?

Q

Comments (4)
    I am having this similar dilemma. I asked about the speed ovens in the appliance section, and my take away is that there's nothing like an oven for baking. However, it's not even the $3k price tag for the oven. The double oven induction is a hard to find beast. They have terrible reviews, and vendors are dropping them. It seems like the induction draws too much power to also support 2 ovens, and they burn out? So I might be able to swallow the $3k for an amazing oven. I have trouble spending it for an unreliable oven. I think I may be going for the double oven with traditional electric cooktop. I can replace it in a few years when induction gets more mature. 2 other options are a second wall oven ($$$), or a toaster oven.
    ...See More

Would you rather have...

Q

Comments (27)
    We use our extra sink in our only bath to hold dirty socks for the most part! Really, it is never used as a sink but makes a good area to hold things, so it ends up being used for laundry. I would rather use DH's nasty sink he shaves in so that I can clean it as part of my tooth-brushing routine. After spitting and rinsing my brush, I take out my handy little cleaning brush and scrub the sink and give the faucet and handles a polish. Then I wipe any drips off the counter just before I walk out of the room and the bathroom is ready to face another day! It is our only full bathroom, not a private retreat where I could leave "his sink" yucky until he decides to clean it. He does a pretty good job of washing whiskers away!
    ...See More

What would you rather have in Master Bathroom...

Q

Comments (53)
    >>a house needs a tub unless it is in a retirement community and even then, if there is more than one bathroom, it should have a tub>> Hmmmm....maybe, maybe not. I'm 65 and like the majority of my friends, prefer showers. When we remodeled our MBa it has a custom shower and a double vanity, plus a matching 6' tall linen closet. Plus an alcove with another 3-drawer cabinet in that. I'm a firm believer in lots of storage, LOL. My MIL loved baths, hated showers. When she moved to a nearby retirement facility, she had a choice - shower or bath, both with attendant. Eventually she gave up bathing for the walk-in shower, saying it was easier and faster. One reason she moved: she was terrified of falling in the bathroom during her bath, when she lived with us. We thought about putting in one of those walk-in tubs, but she did use them at the senior facility instead before she switched to the shower. It's a reasonable alternative, but forget trying to wash a dog in them [smile]. They're pretty tight-fitting inside, with the built-in seat taking up a lot of interior volume. I can tell you that when I broke my leg at age 54 (I was out gardening and fell on concrete stairs), it was IMPOSSIBLE to lift the cast high enough to step over the (rather short height) tub-shower on the main floor, at first. It was almost 5 weeks before I could do it, wrapping the cast in a plastic bag. That tub is only 16" high at the rim - but it could have been a mile high as far as trying to get into it, when disabled. My vote is double vanity, linen cabinet, shower (3x5 is ideal and I wish we had that). Add in safety bars and a good vent fan, too.
    ...See More
  • jennmonkey
    12 years ago

I've never been a big fan of my name, Jennifer. Too common and boring. I don't think it's a very pretty name. I always wanted something more unique, or at least prettier. I'm a big fan of names with lots of vowels, especially beginning with vowels.

bulldinkie, I'm the opposite of you, my middle name is Ann, and I always wished I had the extra E.

I would have preferred my middle name as a first name also (with the extra E). :)

• sue_va
    12 years ago

My name is Sue Ellen. I always explain that I was before Gone With the Wind and Dallas, so that makes me the original.

Growing up I did not like my first name, because my family name was also one syllable, and I envied kids in school who had long names.

Sue

• dotmom
    12 years ago

Growing up, I hated my name, Doris Evelyn, then when I got married I had to get a copy of my birth certificate and found out my name was Dora Eva. even my Mom was surprised, When I was born, my Mom wanted Doris Evelyn, and my Dad wanted Dora Eva, after his Aunt. He made out the B. certificate, put down what he wanted to name me, but told Mom he put down her choice. Actually I don't really care for either name. I have gone by Dottie most of my life, but now that I'm an old lady, I've been going by Dora.

• alisande
    12 years ago

Dotmom, that's a funny story! How did your mother take the news?

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

My name is Anne, and I'm ok with it now. As a kid I hated being called Annie, but it was usually my Mom or Dad. Now hubs and others call me Annie, and I kind of like it. I always wanted my sister's name, which is Janet. I loved that name, now not so much. I named my DD Alexandra Paige and I think she likes it.

• patti43
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dotmom, that must've been a big surprise! I'd like to know what your mother said also.

Aunt Audrey, I like your name, too. Also like Andrea.

Jennmonkey, Jennifer is a name I always associated with really pretty girls. Knew lots of Jennifer's and not an ugly one in the bunch. :-) Plus, I've seen your picture so you're keeping the tradition alive.

• User
    12 years ago

As long as people spell it right (short form) or pronounce it right (long form), I'm learning to live with my plain Jane name: Debby. Or Deborah. THREE syllables! Not Debbie. Not Debra. I hate when people spell and/or pronounce it wrong. It's De-berr-ah.

My sisters all have very pretty names. Mine? Boring.... But I can't think of a name I would change it to if I could.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    12 years ago

When I was in elementary school I didn't particularly like my first name. I was the only one in the whole school and I always knew the first day of school when the teacher called the roll and paused for a minute she was trying to figure out how to pronounce it! LOL

I always wanted my name to be Laura. I thought it was a beautiful name. My DSIL's first name is Laura and I think that it was pure serendipity that I would wind up with a "sister" named Laura. She's my DB's wife.

My mom loved the name Greta and my brother was five when I was born. He asked her a few days later (for the fortieth time) what my name was. When she told him he said, "I can't remember that old name. Can I just call her Susie!?" LOL Every once in awhile I still get called "Sister Susie"! LOL

Now that I'm an adult I love my name. There aren't many Gretas but it's easy to spell and it pretty much fits my personality, I think. I kind of feel like a Greta, I guess! LOL

• jkayd_il5
    12 years ago

I don't really like my name Judy but I don't hate it either. My older sisters named me. I'm glad they did because my parents didn't do a very good job of naming them. Actually I think Dad always got his way and he was gone in the service when I was born. I always thought the name Nancy would suit someone my age.

• sandy_in_ia
    12 years ago

My siblings named me....thankfully. My grandmother wanted Mary...very badly. My mom told her that could be my middle name.

I hated Sandra while in elementary school, there were 2 of us, Sandra S. and Sandra J. Then in HS I didn't mind Sandy so bad. Since I have been married, when I introduce myself, I go by Sandra, as Sandy becomes almost a tongue twister with my last name! LOL But then most people call me Sandy.

Never really wanted a different name...mainly because I know I was named by my siblings..I think that is kinda neat.

We named our girls unique names. They have to correct people often..and sometimes they just don't. We had great 'family' that made sure they received alot of personalized things for their gifts. There have been times that they would have liked to change theirs. Kalie was planning to change her spelling to Kaylee when she got married (like her dad wanted it spelled...I got to put it on the birth certificate Kalie before he told me that tho! LOL), but she forgot about it when she went to change it! She did ask us if it would be okay with us. I like it either way.

• donna_loomis
    12 years ago

I hated my first name, middle name, AND last name. I was born in 1955 and when I was in grade school the Beverly Hillbillies came on the scene. The kids would taunt me with, "Donna Mae, you go milk them cows now." Always said with a country twang. And nobody spelled or pronounced my ONE SYLLABLE last name correctly, even when they tried.

Now I kind of like my first and middle name actually.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

I like Beatrice...ha lol no I dont just kidding

• dotmom
    12 years ago

To answer the Q's about my Mom's reaction to finding out, 18 years later about my Dad's deceit, they divorced when I was less than a year old, so she said that was typical of him. Oh, well it was water under the bridge, by then. We lost contact with my Dad because he was a roamer and drinker, but when I was a young married with three young kids, I was notified that my Dad had died, and my name was in his personal effects, and what did I want done with him. We didn't have much money for a funeral, and when I contacted his sisters about his death, it turned out his Aunt Eva, who I was named for, had carried a small insurance policy on him all these years, so she sent the bit of money up, (from Texas, where he was originally from) so we put on a small funeral for him. I always felt bad that I never really knew my father, but did stay in contact with family on his side untill their passing.

• marylmi
    12 years ago

I always liked 'Julie' and also 'Lori'. Also liked Jennifer, but my last name was long so a short first name was better! Hated my middle name 'Alice' and hardly ever use it. My mother had a good friend with that name so that is how that came about.

• marygailv
    12 years ago

I just wish they'd made the birth certificate out for the name they always called me from the time I came home from the hospital! Legally, I'm Rosemary.

• chisue
    12 years ago

My DH has never liked his first name. I suppose he could switch to his birth name, but it's not a lot better -- and then he'd have to change the surname too. Big hassle. (He was adopted as an infant; his first name is that of his adoptive father; different middle name but same initials.)

Each of my grandmothers hated one of my names. My paternal grandmother was jealous of my grandfather's favorite sister, Sue. My maternal grandmother didn't like my first name. There was so much fighting over naming me that I was first registered only as Baby Girl (Surname). Oh, WELL!

• vannie
    12 years ago

Yes, I'd like a different first name b/c I go by my middle name and it has been a PITA from the time I hit college. I get 2 jury summons--one in each name, some of my scripts are in one name, some in the other. MY DL and PP are in my first name--so yes!! If I'd had good sense, I would have gone to the court house years ago and switched the 2 names, but it's a little late now. Texas has a law that your DL's has to have your first name, maiden name, and married name--I should have switched it all before they passed that law, cause then my PP has my first name. It's a terrible thing to do to a child, so if you don't like your first name, you can change it, but I think it's A LOT of trouble.

• vicki7
    12 years ago

Now that I think of it, as a child I hated my name and always wanted one of the more 'popular' names of the day such as Debbie, Linda, Patty, Lynn, etc. I'm sure it's just because I wanted to fit in more and BE popular (I was painfully shy). Of course now I realize that names don't determine how many friends you have, lol. Nowadays, I don't really have any feelings about my name, it's ok I guess.

• maryanntx
    12 years ago

Growing up, I hated my name. It was so common. And I really hated it when they left off the Ann and called me Mary.
    I'm okay with my name now. But you will notice that I write it together, MaryAnn, cause I still hate to be called Mary.

• workoutlady
    12 years ago

I didn't like my name growing up because it was so different. I don't mind it now though. If I could have named myself when I was younger, I wanted to be named Patricia with a shortened nickname of Trisha. I hate that name now lol!

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

I hate hate hate my first name.... June. My middle name is Gail, don't like that either. When I was very young, my dad called me Ginger. I wish that had stuck. I like it and I see myself as a Ginger. I always wanted to change my name..... to anything other than what it is.

• liira
    12 years ago

Ausilia- need I say more? All my life I had to spell my name for people and tell them how to pronounce it. My parents were from Sicily and I was born in Canada, but my name isn't that common there either. Never met another person with my name, so, unique in one way, but also a pain.

• Nita__AZ
    12 years ago

Growing up I always hated my name, I was named after my Grandmother and Aunt. Then about the 9th grade one of my friends started calling me Nita and it stuck. Very rarely am I called Juanita.

I was supposed to be Penelope but my father got to City Hall before my mother got out of the hospital. He named me Juanita much to my mothers dismay. I am so glad he did that because I absolutely hate the name Penelope.

• sue36
    12 years ago

My father picked my name (Suzanne). I'm pretty happy with it. It is versatile and not too common. Other names my parents considered included Catherine (good) and Amanda (glad they skipped that one). All in all, no complaints.

• Kathsgrdn
    12 years ago

Yes, just not sure what. I always get called other names, Katherine and Kathy after I tell people my name. My name was written on a patient's board in their room yesterday and all day he called me variations of Katherine. I also would have liked a middle name. No one ever believes you don't have one when you tell them, they think it must be really bad so you're lying to cover it up. lol.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

My name is Frances and I like being called Fran, but never liked being called Frances or Franny. I think the name suits me. Can't think of anything else I'd rather be called.

• patti43
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kath--Harry's daughter doesn't have a middle name either. I think it's strange, and he can't remember why (or ain't tellin').

• sheesh
    12 years ago

I've always wished I had a solid first name with a nickname, instead of a silly nickname for a first name. I think parents do their kids a big disservice when they name their kids cutesy things, or names with silly spellings. When they are grown up, how can other adults take a person with a made-up name seriously? Except that nowadays, an awful lot of babies are being saddled with awful names, so I guess they'll either all accept each others silly names, or they'll change them like my doctor did - from Morgorette to Margaret!

• cardamom
    12 years ago

At times Karen was okay, at times I wished it was spelled differently. Karin, Caren,just something a bit different.

Sue_Va...knew a Sue Ellen in school in NJ with a one syllable last name also long before Dallas. It's a long shot but was your mom a Girl Scout leader?

• creekdweller
    12 years ago

No, I think my Mother and Father did a good job in naming all their children.

Even if I didn't like it, I don't know what I would rather it be. LOL

And, if you don't like your name, you could always pay and have it changed. LOL

• whidbeykathy
    12 years ago

My Dad named me, it was hard as a kid when the teachers said "put your full name on the each paper" ( it had 23 letters total!) so I always wanted something shorter.
    Now I just sign my initals and married last name. It would be nice though if people knew Kathleen is not Kath-a-leen LOL!

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

I don't mind my first name, wouldn't want to change it.

What I do mind is being brought up called by my second name, which I consider to be my "real" name, and having everyone outside my family call me by my first name (which most people use, of course), which makes me feel like I'm using an alias. LOL

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I've always liked my name Sherry. I didn't know any other Sherry's growing up. There are a number of ways to spell it, but most people spell it right.

I like it that it can't be shortened to something cutesie, although Mom often calls me Sher..just a shortened version.
    I have been asked if my real name was Cheryl, but only by a couple of people. They thought Sherry was a nickname of Cheryl.

I always said if I had kids, I'd want to name my daughter Lindsay. I love that name. That was well before the Lindsay boom....now there are a lot of Lindsays. Also Sydney (when I had my little baby squirrels I named the female Sydney).

Sherrman, isn't your name Sherry? I must be mistaken, as yo mentioned having a silly nickname as a first name.

• jannie
    12 years ago

My original name was Janice Marie Wood. Now don't go Googling that! I didn't like Janice, and some people called me "Jan Marie", which I thought sounded French and very exotic. My Mom said she wanted to name me "Holly" which would have made me "Holly Wood." Hahaha! When I came to GardenWeb and Kitchen table, I wanted to register under Janice or Jan, but they were taken, so I used "Jannie" a nickname given to me by my Grandmother, long ago.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

Yes, jasdip, my name is Sherry, and yes, I still think it's a silly name. I'm happy for you that you like it, but I'd much rather have a serious sounding name. If my name was Brunhilda, I could be called Bunny! Sherry would be a good nickname, say for Sharon or Cheryl, but I'd just rather have a serious name. Maybe it's because two of my brothers are Gary and Jerry. Ugh. Sherry, Gary and Jerry.

I have been asked many times for my "full" name when I've said my name is Sherry. And Sher is my nickname, too. So is Sheesh!

Sherry

• patti43
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Strange thing in my family. I have five sisters and all six of our first names end in "A". Mother didn't even realize it until after the 4th was born and someone pointed it out. Here's the names:

Barbara
    Sara
    Patricia
    Diana
    Anita
    John (who should've been Ira)
    Rhonda

• zeetera
    12 years ago

Yes. Phoebe or Deidre.

• jennmonkey
    12 years ago

Names are an interesting subject. My coworker was in a documentary called "The Sweetest Sound". A man did a search and found every person in the world he could find with his same name, Alan Berliner. He flew them all to the same place to meet. It's an interesting documentary about names and how people feel about their names. You can find the documentary on Netflix if anyone's interested.

I think my sister Rachael got the best name out of all my siblings. My boyfriend's sister's name is Lucia (Loo-see-a) which I also think is beautiful. His parents gave all their children two middle names each, which makes for some long names.

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

My name is Ruth Dell and I was named after my Grandmother and my favorite Aunt so I always loved my name. I don't remember how or when people started calling me Ruthie ....but in the south you are often called by your first name and middle name so I was Ruth Dell I think until high school. I was a twin and my Mother thought she would name us Earnest and Earnestine. Lots of Earnest's in the family...I'm glad that she didn't get her way..

My Daughter's name is Susan and that is my other Grandmother's name and I love the name.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Holly Wood!! LOLOL. Your Mom had a sense of humour Jannie!!

Speaking of names. Does anyone know of any people with very unique names?

I knew a girl named Summer Brooke Orchard. Very pretty and "naturish". :)

• liira
    12 years ago

Patti43: I just realized that myself and my sisters names end in A, as did my mothers. My brothers end in O

Rosaria-mother (Sarina for short)
    Mariya-sister (Mur for short)
    Silvana-sister(Sil for short)
    Ausilia-me (Aus for short)
    Franceso-brother (shorted to Frank)
    Egidio-brother (Jid for short)
    Can't forget my dad who was Salvatore, but called Tore.

• suzieque
    12 years ago

I like my name now. It's not too common, but not that unusual, either. As a child, I wished it were more common because I wanted things with my name on them and they just weren't readily available. You know what I mean - those things, like key chains, shoelaces, zipper pulls, stickers, etc. None came with my name on them.

That made me vow that, when I had children, I'd always give them a name that wasn't so uncommon that they'd not be able to have personalized cheapo items!!!

But - I like my name now. It's fine. From what my mom and dad told me, they were going to name me something that was a contraction of their 2 names. It was pretty and I'd kind of like to have that now, as it would be an honor to carry their names. But - in the end, they chose a name they loved and that suits me fine.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I have never liked my name. For generations the first daughter on the maternal side was called Sarah Jane,mother , grandmother, greats..., but my mother changed the tradition only keeping the middle name. Hate my name and have never had a nickname, My kids have good names..not trendy and they both like them.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I'd rather have a common-enough name that people easily know how to spell it, or at least come very close.

It seems nowadays, parents want to take a common name and change it up so that it's unique. The kids will be forever spelling out, or correcting the spelling of their names. Teachers, friends, co-workers will always have to remember the "correct" way of spelling their names, just because their parents wanted something different.

Suzie, I like the idea of blending both parents names.

• dotmom
    12 years ago

Holly-Wood, that is a hoot. I knew a gal at our old church who's name was Holly Hock. Then another who's first name was Letha and her married last name was Roth. My daughter said she wish she has stuck to some of our old families names such as Lucille,(my Mom) and Cecelia, (My grandmom), but I do like my granddaughter names, Shannon and Lindsey.

• chisue
    12 years ago

TRADITION! (Think of it as sung in "Fiddler on the Roof".)

That's why I am Sue. Eldest girl in my paternal grandfather's line has *always* been a variant of Susan, going back to the 1600's along the Swiss/French border. It makes genealogy a challenge. You get twenty families in three villages a mile apart, all with the same surname, each with a long line of Susans...what a tangle! A Susan who died as a baby would be 'replaced' by the next girl to be born, who was the new Susan.

• samkaren
    12 years ago

I like Karen but I have always loved daphne, josette, and angelique.. Okay...yes I watched Dark Shadows.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I'm Kathleen Minnie.I always liked my first name,but when i was younger i didn't like my middle name.Then as i grew up i realized i was named after my mom who passed when i was 9 years old.Then i started liking it.Most everyone calls me Kathi,and that's what i go by except on legal documents.

My dad had a very unusual name,VIVAN,and i only ever knew one other with that name and it was my oldest brother.

My siblings are:

Vivan (Van)
    Wallace (wally)
    Helen Elizabeth (betty)
    Dorothy Marie
    Joan Constance
    Eileen G.
    Ronald L.
    Roberta B
    Marilyn Glenda,(glen or Glenda)
    Me
    Carlton Ivan
    Elaine Ingrid

Kathi

PS
    When giving my name i always have to say,Kathleen with a "K" Minnie (like the mouse.