Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any rubber stampers here? Ink pad question

Posted by jannaz (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 12:48

I have an ink pad I got at a thrift shop. It's a RubberStampede Neon Ink Pad with yellow, pink, green and orange colors. It must be ancient, because I couldn't find any reference to it on Google, but the ink is still moist enough to be revived.

Problem is, I can't tell if it's dye or pigment ink. I suspect dye, but would hate to ruin it by using the wrong "stuff" to refresh it.

Is there an easy way to tell which is which?

(I looked at the scrapbooking forum, but their most recent post was back in January, so I'm trying here.)

Thanks,
Jann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any rubber stampers here? Ink pad question

Can't help, Jann, but I can recommend someone who can answer your question, probably. Call or email Stamp Connection. If they can help you, they are fabulous. I have no connection to the company, just a regular and happy customer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stamp Connection

o

Jann, by the looks of the web site I will link, it looks like it should be a dye base ink. I am not postive, but that's what it looks like to me. It's thier ink pads listed, but not that particular one. Hope this helps. One thing that might help you figure it out is, dye base dries quickly, pigment ink stays wet longer. If you have any embossing powder, try embossing with it. If the embossing powder sticks to the ink and puffs up like it's supposed to, then it's pigment.

Tami

Here is a link that might be useful: ink pad

o

Sushi, thank you. At first glance, their site looks more like something for commercial stamps and inks, rather than art-stamping inks. I'll look again if nothing more specific turns up.

Tami, I think you're right--it's probably dye. I think my pad is so old, they weren't making pigment stamp pads yet--lol. It's not "juicy" enough to make embossing powder stick, so can't test that way. I may sacrifice the green (it's not a very pretty green) just to see if the refresher for dye works.

Thanks,
J

o

Jannaz, did you try to reink the pad yet? If the pad is made of a sponge-like material, it is likely pigment ink. If it is like a thick cotton pad with a fabric top layer, it is likely dye ink.

o

I did some investigating and RubberStampede made dye based ink pads. I could find no menion of them making pigment ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here