SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Help! Charred coffee pot!

jel48
11 years ago

Today has not been my day!

First, I managed to tip my glider over backwards, with me IN IT!! Luckily it cushioned me very well, but how the heck did that happen? I wasn't leaning back very far, and wasn't rocking. I checked the assembly on the bottom of the chair and nothing is broken or appears to be missing!

But, that's not the reason for this post.

On to my next disaster!

We have a beautiful antique enameled coffee pot. We generally use it at camp, but always on a stove and never on the campfire because we don't want to ruin it. On Sunday, I made quite a bit more coffee then we used, so I brought it home to finish up. I do that sometimes.

Then today, I made coffee in it, while I was working. I do that whenever I have the pot at home (rather then camp) because I really like the perked coffee.

I set the timer on the stove, so I wouldn't forget and perk it too long. When the timer went off, I checked and the coffee looked ready so I shut it off and took a cup of coffee back to my desk with me. Then, at about 10:45 (probably 3 or 3 1/2 hours later) I decided to have another half cup off coffee before quitting for the day (I can't sleep at night if I have caffeine too late). I went into the kitchen and smoke was coming from the pour spout of my coffee pot!!! I must have turned the timer off and left the burner on! I had made about 12 cups of coffee, and drank one, the rest boiled out and is now coffee charcoal on the bottom of the pot.

Does anyone know the best way to clean this out without damaging the enamel? I was thinking maybe baking soda... but then thought I'd ask around first.

Thanks!

Comments (14)