Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Charred coffee pot!

Posted by jel48 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 12:33

Today has not been my day!

First, I managed to tip my glider over backwards, with me IN IT!! Luckily it cushioned me very well, but how the heck did that happen? I wasn't leaning back very far, and wasn't rocking. I checked the assembly on the bottom of the chair and nothing is broken or appears to be missing!

But, that's not the reason for this post.

On to my next disaster!

We have a beautiful antique enameled coffee pot. We generally use it at camp, but always on a stove and never on the campfire because we don't want to ruin it. On Sunday, I made quite a bit more coffee then we used, so I brought it home to finish up. I do that sometimes.

Then today, I made coffee in it, while I was working. I do that whenever I have the pot at home (rather then camp) because I really like the perked coffee.

I set the timer on the stove, so I wouldn't forget and perk it too long. When the timer went off, I checked and the coffee looked ready so I shut it off and took a cup of coffee back to my desk with me. Then, at about 10:45 (probably 3 or 3 1/2 hours later) I decided to have another half cup off coffee before quitting for the day (I can't sleep at night if I have caffeine too late). I went into the kitchen and smoke was coming from the pour spout of my coffee pot!!! I must have turned the timer off and left the burner on! I had made about 12 cups of coffee, and drank one, the rest boiled out and is now coffee charcoal on the bottom of the pot.

Does anyone know the best way to clean this out without damaging the enamel? I was thinking maybe baking soda... but then thought I'd ask around first.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Charred coffee pot!

I know its a strong chemical, but I believe spray oven cleaner will do the trick. I have often used it to get baked on stuff off my corningware. Doesn't hurt it a bit.

o

I cleaned my metal coffee carafe by putting water in it and then dissolving a Cascade Complete gel pac in it (the ones you use in your dishwasher). It cleaned it as clean as a whistle. Worth a try. I bet whatever DW detergent you have on hand would work.

And I'm glad you weren't hurt in the glider accident!

o

NOOO please don't use the spray oven cleaner! Put baking soda in the pot to cover the charred area. Add water to cover and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let sit on the burner to cool completely. Wash as usual. This WILL work. I have taken a pot that my friend thought totally ruined when she boiled soup beans dry in it and returned it to useable condition. If some of the charred area is still stuck, repeat the baking soda and boiling. Just stay in the kitchen with it while you are doing it!

Tami

o

I always soak any burns I cannot remove with enough hot water to cover the burn area and a tablespoon or more of powdered electric dishwashing detergent.

o

I do the water/diswasher powder thing too.....rinse it and add more water until it all just washes off....

o

Get out the baking soda and your Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge - it will be gone in a flash!

o

I use the powder or liquid that I put in my dishwasher put it on thick and let it sit on it till it loosens it all up I have had great success doing this, with pots I thought I would have to throw away. That detergent contains enzymes that will break down the stuck on char.

o

I have burned my pot dry dozens of times....First step, empty the pot, rinse it out, the fill water until its about an inch above the burned area. Let that sit overnight.

In the morning you can wash it with baking soda and it will be fine.

o

I use ice to clean glass burnt pots, put in bottom and swirl around until it comes off. Only takes a couple minutes. Wonder if it would work on enamal too?

o

also checked online and they say about the same thing...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ehow.com/how_5808068_clean-burnt-pots-pans.html

o

I feel for you. I did the same thing, except mine was my electric tea kettle. I had just had a call from a friend who was wanting to move back here from NC, and she was so unhappy and in pain. After I hung up I was in tears and I just had to have some hot tea. Without thinking, I filled the kettle and instead of plugging it in, I put it on the stove and turned the burner on. Yep, burned it up, completely. I hadn't had it long, and got another one just like it.

My friend was never able to get things worked out to move back here, and she died three weeks ago.

I hope you get your pot cleaned; probably you wouldn't be able to replace it.

Sue

o

If you have a dryer sheet handy, you might try putting it into the bottom of the coffee pot and adding just enough water to cover the bottom....let it sit for several hours and it should clean up nicely.

o

Boil water and a generous amount of cream of tartar, then let sit overnight. Works every time.

o

at work we just use ice and salt. Just keep swishing it around until it is all loose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here