Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabbage as an anti-inflammatory? Could be.

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 11:31

I've been experiencing pain in my left sacroiliac joint since November, and it's reached the point where it's been seriously interfering with my life. The standard treatment is pain meds, and for various reasons I've been reluctant to start. After reading up on the condition I decided to look for exercises I can do on my own, and if that doesn't work explore the possibility of physical therapy.

Meanwhile, I realized in the middle of the day on Monday that I didn't have the pain. It was pretty amazing, considering that I've had it every day, to one degree or another, all these months. As the day went on, I still didn't have the pain. I worked in the garden, practically holding my breath in hopes that it wouldn't suddenly kick in. It didn't.

I asked myself what I'd done differently the day before that might have resulted in a cessation of the pain. The answer was easy: The day before, Sunday, I'd made two kinds of cabbage salads--one for dinner that night and one in the morning to try a new recipe. Because I love cabbage salads, and because I am lazy and the salads were handy, I ended up eating them all day. Lots and lots of cabbage.

So I Googled cabbage and arthritis, and found all sorts of citations about its effectiveness at reducing inflammation and doing lots of other good things.

Here's one article from a rheumatoid arthritis website.

My plan is to let the pain come back (it's on its way as we speak) and then give the cabbage another try to see if I get the same result. If anyone here is dealing with painful inflammation(s), you might want to try the experiment yourself.

Anyone have a similar experience with cabbage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabbage as an anti-inflammatory? Could be.

Well, how very interesting. My mother eats a lot of coleslaw and has pain, but then she's 91 with fairly severe osteoperosis. However, who's to say she wouldn't have much more if she weren't eating it? I'll be very interested to read more about your little experiment.

o

I should add a note about the kind of cabbage I buy. I see two kinds of regular green cabbage in the supermarkets: One has dull leaves, and the head is hard. Inside, it's sometimes more white than green. The head might be slightly ovoid. The other kind has much shinier leaves, and the head is either round or slightly flattened. The leaves are folded (crinkled?) in some areas. (I'm not talking about savoy cabbage.) This second variety is more tender and juicy than the other, and it's the kind I always buy. My favorite source for cabbage is Walmart, believe it or not.

I don't know if there's a nutritional difference in these two kinds of cabbage, but I know the one I buy is more fun to eat. :-)

o

Would that be Napa cabbage?

Here is a link that might be useful: Napa Cabbage

o

Nope, I'm talking about regular green cabbage.

Here's one I just took out of my fridge.

o

It's worth a try. Did the information say anything about it having to be only un-cooked cabbage? I supposse cooking it would not have the same good properties. (?) I like cole slaw. What other recipes do you use?

o

if you have thryoid problems do check with dr..cabbage family can interfere with synthroid, as do fiber tablets...

o

My understand is that cooked cabbage is fine, and the other members of the cabbage family are helpful too. When we used to grow our own I made a really good French cabbage pie. I'll have to look for the recipe. I stir-fry with cabbage a lot.

Cabbage actually does affect my thyroid, Susan. I was so relieved when I discovered this several years ago, because I had no idea why I was so fatigued, depressed, and losing hair. Now when I eat a lot of cabbage, especially raw, I make sure I take a kelp supplement.

I know it doesn't affect all people in this way. I was treated for thyroid problems as a child, so I suppose I have issues....

o

My understand is that cooked cabbage is fine, and the other members of the cabbage family are helpful too. When we used to grow our own I made a really good French cabbage pie. I'll have to look for the recipe. I stir-fry with cabbage a lot.

Cabbage actually does affect my thyroid, Susan. I was so relieved when I discovered this several years ago, because I had no idea why I was so fatigued, depressed, and losing hair. Now when I eat a lot of cabbage, especially raw, I make sure I take a kelp supplement.

I know it doesn't affect all people in this way. I was treated for thyroid problems as a child, so I suppose I have issues....

o
RE: Cabbage as an anti-inflammatory ? Could be.

Hmmm......Got a message that my message hadn't posted. Instead, it posted twice.

o

I'm a firm believer that the earth provides everything we need to maintain great health - most people just don't eat enough quantity/variety and eat too much stuff made in factories. I'm so glad you are feeling better!

o

Thanks, Chi! Coming home from my writing group tonight, I was hungry. I knew I needed some protein, and I didn't want to cook. I ended up chopping some cabbage and adding canned tuna, scallions, green olives, and capers. The dressing was olive oil and fresh lemon juice. It was delicious!

o

There is no good reason you can't eat when taking thyroid meds. That's why you take the meds on an empty stomach and don't eat for an hour so they are absorbed into your blood stream. Once in the blood they are unaffected by food and most other medications.

I am quite sure that cabbage probably does have anti-inflammatory properties. But the question is how much would you have to actually eat to b get the real benefits. Most modern medications have their historical roots going back to things found in plants and nature. However it similar to drinking cranberry juice to ease the pain of a bladder infection. You would have to drink gallons. One AZO pill or gallons of juice? I'll take the pill.

o

Well, the reason the Germans were called Krauts is because their ships had saurkraut rations daily to prevent scurvy, the scourge of seamen of yore. The same reason the English had the nickname limey, from eating limes for the prevention of scurvy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here