SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Cabbage as an anti-inflammatory? Could be.

alisande
11 years ago

I've been experiencing pain in my left sacroiliac joint since November, and it's reached the point where it's been seriously interfering with my life. The standard treatment is pain meds, and for various reasons I've been reluctant to start. After reading up on the condition I decided to look for exercises I can do on my own, and if that doesn't work explore the possibility of physical therapy.

Meanwhile, I realized in the middle of the day on Monday that I didn't have the pain. It was pretty amazing, considering that I've had it every day, to one degree or another, all these months. As the day went on, I still didn't have the pain. I worked in the garden, practically holding my breath in hopes that it wouldn't suddenly kick in. It didn't.

I asked myself what I'd done differently the day before that might have resulted in a cessation of the pain. The answer was easy: The day before, Sunday, I'd made two kinds of cabbage salads--one for dinner that night and one in the morning to try a new recipe. Because I love cabbage salads, and because I am lazy and the salads were handy, I ended up eating them all day. Lots and lots of cabbage.

So I Googled cabbage and arthritis, and found all sorts of citations about its effectiveness at reducing inflammation and doing lots of other good things.

Here's one article from a rheumatoid arthritis website.

My plan is to let the pain come back (it's on its way as we speak) and then give the cabbage another try to see if I get the same result. If anyone here is dealing with painful inflammation(s), you might want to try the experiment yourself.

Anyone have a similar experience with cabbage?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations