SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satine_gw

Empathy

satine_gw
10 years ago

Good morning. Yesterday I picked up a friend from the hospital and drove her to a rehab/nursing facility. She is recovering from cancer surgery and needs wound care etc. I helped in getting my friend to her room and settled. I left there feeling so deflated-maybe even depressed. There were so many residents mingled on her unit-dementia, physical rehab, nursing etc. They had tables set up in what I assume had been an atrium and that is where the patients ate their dinner. I was both shocked and saddened to see so many mostly elderly people who appeared lost and empty. I was torn between wanting to sit and talk to them and fleeing as quickly as possible. My mother suffered from and died from complications of dementia so I am familiar with it. I just can't get that picture out of my mind. I wish I could be the kind of person who could do something to make these patients' lives better in some way. I know I am rambling because it is hard to put into words how I am feeling. I have to go back today to bring my friend some clothes and I bracing myself. What happened to my empathy. I feel like such a cold person. Please give me your thoughts. Satine

Comments (13)