Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone use dryer balls?

Posted by salgal (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 10:38

Do you use or have you made felted wool dryer balls?

I am almost our dryer sheets - I think it has taken me about 5 years to go through the box from Costco.

Really thinking about making these this weekend.

Do you like yours?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone use dryer balls?

I have those blue pokey outey ones I got about five years ago and I love them!
I also make my own laundry soap and my clothes have never been so soft.

o

Not sure what kind of balls you mean. I use 3 tennis balls and they seem to lessen the wrinkle problem, but I hate the noise they make.

o

emma, the ones I am thinking about are hand made using wool wound into a tight ball. They are then run through hot wash and dry cycle a few times that cause the wool to felt (harden and bound together)
When used in a dryer, they help clothes dry faster and keep down wrinkles and static.

o

Hadn't heard of those. Like Carol, I have the blue balls and make my own laundry soap and wash in cold water. Usually dry clothes on the line but not always able to do that and use the dryer and the blue balls.

o

I've used the plastic dryer balls for years. I think they help things dry faster. I don't want the smell from softeners.

The thing most people don't realize is if you have static issues you're overdrying your clothes which costs you more in gas and/or electricity and it also can damage your clothes a bit too. Even in the dry winter months I have no static issues by drying clothes properly.

o

Never heard of them, but now I want to make some! Dumb question- how many do you use at a time? Just one, or two, or three? Or does it matter?

o

Hounds, after watching and reading a few tutorials, I think I am going make 8. Some people use up to 12 for very large loads. I would post a link but I am on my mobile...just google words like "felted wool dryer balls". They should last more than 5 years and no more dryer sheets! Woo Hoo!
You need to use 100% wool, not any blends or super washed. You can use yarn, batting or roving.

o

I have not heard of the homemade wool ones. I've seen the plastic balls with the rubber nibs at the dollar store. I remember when they were originally selling for $14. Now they are $1.

Tennis balls definitely work, but they are noisy, as are the plastic balls.

I too use homemade laundry soap....both liquid and dry powder for my whites. My whites are really white, and they are always soft. I too line-dry. Haven't used the dryer in years.

o

I want some! I think they would make unique gifts for friends who have everything.
I quit using dryer sheets years ago. Miss the fluff, but not the chemicals.

o

I use the plastic ones, not really sure if they work.

o

I use the blue dryer ball with bumps. Had never heard of the felted wool balls.

o

I am making some this afternoon. I will post pictures when I'm done.
I started with wool batting and finishing with wool yarn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here