Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify this flower?

Posted by BeeOHIO (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 10:32

It grows wild in North Carolina, I'm told. I have a friend who is wondering what it is. I think it looks somewhat like a "coneflower", but I'm not sure if they come in this color?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify this flower?

Possibly a type of Gazania.

o

Or Gaillardia.

o

Yes, I think it is a Gaillardia or Blanket Flower as we call them.

o

Yes, looks like Blanket Flower.

o

Thanks so much!
I did a google images of the Blanket Flower & agree that's what it looks like!

Someone ~always~ has the right answer @ the KT!

o

It grows wild here in NW Florida and there are also some that bloom pink and there's a solid yellow one - a patch of them reminds me of a summer sunset, melting on the horizon.

o

We have one very similar called Indian blanket, it has yellow on the tips of each petal. I had dug up some on my mother in laws property and planted them in our pasture at our Oklahoma house, it spread and was beautiful. I did the same with the Indian paintbrush wildflowers. The mixture completely spread out across the pasture and was quite the sight.

Soon we started seeing both of them around in other spots near us. The winds and birds were doing a fine job of spreading the seed.

o

Right, Mexican Blanket flower. I've grown them, but never had any as completely red as that. Mine had yellow tips on the petals.

I have pictures...somewhere.

Sue

o

OOps, RC. Didn't see yours before I posted. Guess I had Indian blankets and didn't know it.

Sue

o

This is a great link, it is Oklahoma based but has lots of wildflowers

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflowers

o

I know them by the name Blanket Flower,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here