SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enjoyingspring

Old Wives Tales, Superstitions

enjoyingspring
14 years ago

I just love old wives tales and superstitions, do you have any that you would like to share.

One that I like is that when you see cattle laying down in the fields it means it is going to rain. My uncle on the farm told me that one years ago. Next time you see a cow laying down in the field check the weather forcaste and see if it is going to rain.

Comments (38)

• taigen_gw
    14 years ago

I also heard that one.
    My family was very superstitious...it could drive you nuts at times.
    How about never cut your nails or hair on a Friday or Sunday..religious luck
    When ever you give knives as a gift, include a coin for luck. Something about the sharpness of the blade.
    Never give a purse without money in it...the person will always be broke
    If you put your clothes on backwards or inside out don't change them...it is lucky
    If you fall going up stairs it is lucky.
    Never pick up your own fallen gloves.
    Shall I go on LOL!!! As I said it really could drive you round the bend hahaha

• lindyluwho
    14 years ago

The way I heard the one about giving a knife as a gift is it will cut your friendship. You should always get paid for the knife. I always charge a penny.

Linda

• Related Discussions

Is this an 'old wives tale'?

Q

Comments (3)
    I've never bought into that whole theory. Mostly because you can't 'catch' a cold outside. Germies thrive in warm environments, and can't live outside. Having said that, I think the whole 'supressing your immune defenses' theory might be more of a reason why you may have caught the cold INSIDE, but you won't catch it outside. If there's no cold germs hanging out in your environment, going outdoors isn't going to make you any more susceptible to catching one unless you are exposed to a place where they are already living (inside). Like kiddies at school. They go outside, lower their immune defenses by getting cold, then come inside where a plethora of lovely germies are just waiting to kick you when you're down. The home-schooled kid who plays outside at home and there's no cold germs in his home environment is not going to be subjected to the germs cuz they simply aren't there for him to catch, regardless of the state of his immune system at the time. And that's my logic, and I'm sticking to it.
    ...See More

old wives tale - maybe - hopefully not

Q

Comments (3)
    Turns out there's some truth to that, but only to the extent of WHAT plant you're talking about. We actually have an allelopathy forum here at GW, and here's a link I just found. Found a couple other sources, but since this one was an edu, I thought it more reliable: Here is a link that might be useful: Perdue University
    ...See More

an old wives tale - maybe - hopefully not

Q

Comments (2)
    Sunflowers sure grow under my birdfeeders, but I am not sure if they are the only things that will grow there. I wonder where we could go to research that tidbit? Janie
    ...See More

Strange plant beliefs, old wives tales, and legends

Q

Comments (11)
    rhizo_1 the grits myth is halfway true. If you soak the grits in bacon grease and borax, they will kill the ants. Fire ants are drawn to grease, which is why Amdro works. It's just coarsely ground corn meal with cooking grease & insecticide. Rita, that fruit tree trick works. From what I was taught, what happens is that the vessels that carry food and water up and down the plant get clogged, and hitting it gently loosens up the clogs and allows the tree to grow and bear. Usually, trees get blown around by the wind, so everything stays clear, but older trees with thicker trunks stand pretty steady in winds, so they need some artificial battering. My grandma (father's mom) told me that if children climbed apple trees, they bore better. Same principal, I would think.
    ...See More
  • petaloid
    14 years ago

Taigen, my great grandparents were from Canada, as you are, and I wonder if some of our superstitions originated there.

Grandmother Ida also taught us what you mentioned, that if you put your clothes on backwards or inside out you should leave it that way for good luck.

If you get a sore bump on your tongue it means you've told a lie.

If your skirt or trouser hem is turned up or your shirt label is sticking up behind your neck, you get to make a wish before you fix it.

When a beverage, especially tea, is poured, any bubbles in your cup represent money, so we say, "You've got money in your cup. Take your spoon and drink it up!"

• litereader
    14 years ago

My Mom was a bundle of superstitions. And, try as I might, it is difficult to ignore some of them (LOL).

For example:

It's bad luck to go back into the house once you leave to go somewhere (the one time she did, they had an accident!)

Never sew your clothes while wearing them -- you will die in them. This was followed up by the story of some relative whose skirt was torn by a rabid dog while she was riding a horse, she stitched up the rip and got rabies.

She also had all sorts of sayings -- if you drop a knife on the floor and man will come visiting from the direction it is pointing; if you drop a fork, it will be a woman. She used to add that if you dropped the dishcloth, some slouch would show up!

• phyllis__mn
    14 years ago

....and right palm itching means meeting someone and left palm itching means money coming.

• barbara3
    14 years ago

Litereader, my grandmother used to say "Sew your clothes upon your back, you'll never have another tack!"

If we put clothes on backwards, we couldn't take it off because the fairies would take you away. I still turn the shirt, etc. around but don't take it off over my head so technically it is still on me.

I've heard most of those superstitions before. Many of them are quite common here in Newfoundland. I wonder if they come from Britian/Ireland where many of our forefathers came from.

Also......
    Itchy feet = walk on strange ground
    Sleep with a piece of wedding cake under your pillow = dream of your future husband
    Two crows flying together = good luck
    13 people at a table = bad luck. My uncle absolutely refused to sit at a table with 12 others. He would take his dinner and eat elsewhere in the house.
    Enter and leave a house by the same door. If you leave a house by a different door than you came in through, you would take all of the luck from the house.
    Two people passing on the stairs = sign of a wedding

And I'm sure you have all heard this little poem....
    See a penny, pick it up
    All day long you'll have good luck.
    If you give the penny away,
    You'll keep your luck for another day.

When you pick up a penny, you have to give it to someone else to have a second day of good luck.

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

Hats on a bed and/or shoes over your head both invoke bad luck.

Owl hooting in the daylight means a death.

Wild bird in the house brings an argument with your spouse.

Cross the palm of your fortune teller with silver to insure the good luck. That means you pay the person who does a fortune telling for you, not necessarily do you have to give them silver, just a payment of some kind.

Those are just a few I've heard not listed yet!
    About the knives, the way I heard is, giving a knife as a gift will cut your friendship. You should always get paid for a knife. I too always charge a penny. If you give anyone any type of money holder, a purse, change holder, wallet even a money clip it should have money in it to insure it will never be empty.

CT

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

My mom used to say if you left the house with no money, dogs would pee on you. I used to hear so many old wives tales, I can't remember them. I didn't pay any attention to them.

• lucinda_grow
    14 years ago

Sweeping a floor after dark brings bad luck. Throw spilt salt over your shoulder to ward off bad luck. Whistling at the table means you'll marry a fool.If you use the words,"Good-Bye" when parting you will never see that person again.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

If someone gives you a plant, you must not thank them or the plant will die.

Sue

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

How about, "You can't get pregnant if you "do it" standing up!"?? LOL

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

Phillis-What if both palms are itching? LOL Maybe I'm going to meet someone that is going to give me money.Mine have been itching a lot lately but I haven't seen any money yet.LOL

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

Red sky in the morning, sailor's warning; Red sky at night, sailor's delight.

A greenish band of color in a rain cloud means that it contains hail. (Farmer's observational data.)

If the chickens goes back out into the rain, it means that it will rain most of the day.

Peaches, peaches, my nose itches. Someone's coming with a hole in their britches.

Step on a crack, break your mother's back.

A bird hitting a window indicates a death, or impending death in the family.

• maryanntx
    14 years ago

Walking under a ladder is bad luck.

If your palms itch you will be handling money, but only if you don't scratch them!

Knocking on wood is something I still see people do often. In fact I do it myself sometimes.

• jannie
    14 years ago

My Mom thinks if you leave milk out during a thunderstorm, it will curdle. My MIL used to give me a purse or wallet as a gift, but always included a ittle money "for luck". She was Italian, I suspect She was part Gypsy.

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

I don't have any superstitions, but do act as if I do every once in a while. I pick up dropped pennies because it's money, someday you may need that penny. I would love to believe it is a penny from heaven.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Don't forget getting warts from toads when the ever dangerous black cat crosses your path while you're wishing on a falling star, getting the larger part of the wishbone...

There was an OLD, old friend of the family who always insisted on watching the sun set to see if it'll rain the next day. After all, if the sun goes down in clouds, it'll rain the next day.

We can chuckle about a lot of these, but what's amazing is the superstitions and wives's tales that so many people actually believe!

• casey_nfld
    14 years ago

Some I remember my parents saying when I was growing up.

-May snow is good for sore eyes.

-If you sing at the table you will marry a drunk.

-Eating your crusts makes you sing.

-When gulls flock to shore there's weather in store (bad weather).

-If you drop a fork that means you will have company that day.

-If your foot is itchy you will walk on strange ground.

-If you sneeze you will kiss a fool, or if you sneeze someone is thinking about you.

-If you cross your fork and knife on your dinner plate someone will die.

-If your palms itch either you will get money or lose money depending on the hand (can never remember which is which, right or left to win or lose money).

-Dream of the dead, hear from the living.

-Buy a broom in May, sweep your life away.

-Bringing a loaf of bread to someone who moves into a new house is supposed to bring them luck.

-If you buy your girlfriend a watch it means you will break up.

-Never open an umbrella inside the house.

• caflowerluver
    14 years ago

My Mom had a million of them. She was always saying them. Here are a few.
    Clare

Think of five or six names of boys or girls you might marry, As you twist the stem of an apple, recite the names until the stem comes off. You will marry the person whose name you were saying when the stem fell off.

Also peel the apple in one continous peel, toss it over your shoulder and it will be the letter of the name of the man you will marry.

It's bad luck to put a hat on a bed.

Never take a broom along when you move. Throw it out and buy a new one.

To prevent an unwelcome guest from returning, sweep out the room they stayed in immediately after they leave.

If your ears suddenly feel on fire, someone is talking about you.

It is bad luck to light three cigarettes with the same match.

It's bad luck to pick up a coin if it's tails side up. Good luck comes if it's heads up.

It's good luck to find a four-leaf clover.

A cricket in the house brings good luck. Or rain.

Crows: One's bad, Two's luck, Three's health, Four's wealth, Five's sickness, Six is death.

If an eyelash falls out, put it on the back of the hand, make a wish and throw it over your shoulder. If it flies off the hand the wish will be granted.

Pulling out a gray or white hair will cause ten more to grow in its place.

If your nose itches you will soon be kissed by a fool.

It's bad luck to let milk boil over.

To break a mirror means 7 years bad luck. The cure: to bury the pieces, or run them in a stream.

Do not place shoes or hat upon a table, for this will bring bad luck for the day, cause trouble with your mate and you might even lose your job as a result.

The devil can enter your body when you sneeze. Having someone say, "God bless you," drives the devil away.

A wish made upon seeing the first robin in spring will come true - but only if you complete the wish before the robin flies away.

Bad luck will follow the spilling of salt unless a pinch is thrown over the left shoulder into the face of the devil waiting there.

All wishes on shooting stars come true. If you tell someone your wish, it won't come true.

Knock three times on wood after mentioning good fortune so evil spirits won't ruin it.

Two people pull apart the dried breastbone of a chicken or turkey until it cracks and breaks, each one making a wish while doing so. The person who gets the long half of the wishbone will have his or her wish come true.

The number of Xs in the palm of your right hand is the number of children you will have.

Cover your mouth when you yawn, or your soul can go out of your body along with the yawn.

If the person buried lived a good life, flowers will grow on the grave. If the person was evil, weeds will grow.

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

I heard that when cows were laying down in the field, it meant the fishing was poor.

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

"My Mom thinks if you leave milk out during a thunderstorm, it will curdle"

There is an element of truth in this one. We used to make cottage cheese, and it seemed that the best curds also formed the quickest, when there were thunderheads around. Apparently, the bacillus responsible for making cottage cheese is more abundant in the air under these conditions.

"I heard that when cows were laying down in the field, it meant the fishing was poor."

Cows normally lay down for part of the day, most often after they have grazed and filled their first stomach. On a hot day, they will seek the coolist spot, lay down, relax, and "chew their cud". They also lay down to sleep. Horses, on the other hand, must remain standing to sleep, else they may sufficate.

• bengardening
    14 years ago

dream of a funeral and there will be a death dream of a
    wedding and there will be a funeral yellow lighters are unlucky if you borrow them rain on the open grave means they are going to heaven if your neckalce clasp comes all the way to the front you can make a wish

• ronf_gw
    14 years ago

If there is a ring around the moon a storm is coming. If there are stars visible inside the ring the number of stars is how many days until the storm.

Ron

• whidbeykathy
    14 years ago

Oh, Mom always said " you have to wait a hour to swim after you eat so you don't get a cramp". WRONG, my kids ate while floating on their water mattresses in the pool!
    We lived in the San Joaquin Valley and it is hot hot hot! I was lucky they got out long enough to run to the bathroom !

• kacee2002
    14 years ago

re: sneezes
    one's a wish
    two's a kiss
    three's a disapointment
    four's a letter
    five's something better

my Mom told us we would get polio from running through the sprinkler..this in the 50's and 60's

a friends Mom told them that they would get polio from touching dog bones

a lot of fear of polio before the vaccination came about

I always heard that if you gave a knife as a gift to someone you included a penny in the box and they had to return the penny to keep the relationship from being cut apart

• patches_02
    14 years ago

Gram use to say if it rains on Mon. it will rain three days out of the week/

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

My doughter came up with a doozy the other day that I had not heard of.....she got a chill, and said that someone will walk on her grave after she has passed.
    Really weird I thought....

Trin

• ilmbg
    14 years ago

Whet about a woman not allowed into the kitchen during her menstrual cycle during canning- the foods/jelly will go bad!

Oh-oh...I hear owls during the day all the time.
    The dogs are gonna' pee on me alot!!
    Maybe that's why my plants die- I say 'thank you'.
    I get a bird hitting my windows almost every day...
    I keep my brooms when I move..

No Wonder I am in the state I am in!

The 'Red sky in morning' is true- my dad was a 'weatherman' in the Air Force. It has to do with the moisture in the air, the amount of particles in the air, the rotation of the weather (west to east), and the light splitting the light/color spectrum. Sorry- that one isn't a superstition!

Thank goodnes we don't believe in these- can you imagine how people would live if they did?!

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

Quote:

"It is bad luck to light three cigarettes with the same match."

This one has a true basis. It was a saying developed during WW2. Night time snipers could spot the match flame when someone lighted a cigarette. If 3 persons lighted cigarettes from the same match, it gave the sniper enough time to draw an accurate bead and fire a shot. A numner of soldiers lost their lives by not heeding this warning.

• Terry Johnson
    8 years ago

If you rhyme while talking you will see your loved one before morning

Predicting the weather with a crescent moon. If the bottom of the moon is up there will be no rain, if the top of the moon is down it will storm, if the side of the moon is tilted down it will rain, if the moon is tilted up there will be no rain

• jemdandy
    8 years ago
    1. Peaches, peaches, my nose itches,

Someone's coming with a hole in their britches.

1. If a bird strikes a window, its a sign that someone in the family is dying or seriously ill.
  • Suzieque
    8 years ago

Hi, Terry - welcome to the KT! I see that this is your very first post. Care to introduce yourself? Glad to have you here.

• phyllis__mn
    8 years ago

Love, love the prior post!!

• SandieFL
    8 years ago

Sandie Fl.

Never kill a spider,it's the devil's wife.

Step on a crack,break your Mother's back.

A vulture on your roof is very bad luck.

• bengardening
    8 years ago

if the big dipper is upside down it will rain because it is pouring out

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

I got a laugh about owls hooting in the daytime. A certain specie of owls do hoot at a particular time of the day. On the farm, if we should happen to get a few free hours in an afternoon, we'd go to the river to cool off and fish. We might catch enough for supper. At about 4 pm, the owls would arouse and begin to stir. This was announced with hoots and answered by other owls proclaiming their territories. When the owls hooted, we knew it was time to pack it in and go home to do the evening's chores. No superstition there. It was merely the friendly owls reminding us of the sun's position in the sky.

• Aprile
    8 years ago

Cold hands warm heart, dirty feet no sweetheart.

itchy nose your either going to have company or kiss a fool depending on who you listen too.

If your ears ring someone is talking about you.

I also put money in any purse I give away because I was taught giving an empty purse meant the person would always be broke.