Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Checking in from Washington State

Posted by Nita__AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 9:58

We have been on the road for just about a month. Having a wonderful time sightseeing and enjoying the cool weather. We have been wearing jackets and jeans since the temps have been anywhere from the mid 50's to the high 60's.

We have been enjoying the long daylight hours. It is daylight before 5 and doesn't get dark until after 10. In AZ we don't have Daylight Savings Time so it is dark by 8 in the Summer.

Today we are headed to Zillah, which is in the Eastern park of the state. Will be visiting friends for a couple of days before heading to Coeur de'Alene, Idaho on Friday. From there we head to Banff, Canada for 5 days.

This is a sunset picture from the back of our motor home when we were camped on Whidbey Island a couple of nights ago. I will try to check in from Banff and post some pictures from there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Checking in from Washington State

Nita, has it been a month already? My gosh, time sure flies when you're having fun (and I'm having fun vicariously through your posts! Your pictures are beautiful. There is a KT'er who lives in Cote d'Alene but I can't think of her user name--??? She's posted pictures of the town and it is beautiful!

Where to after that? Glad you're having such a great trip. You're really outnumbered with all those boys, ya' know!

o

Patti, there are two members of the KT that live there and I met them both last year, AngID and Sherry (don't remember her forum name). This year we will only be in Coeur de'Alene for 3 days. Mike has relatives there and we want to show Timm some sights so will be really busy.

Going to Banff, Canada for 5 days and then heading South through MT, ID and UT before getting back to AZ. Will be home on July 14. I would stay on the road but Mike will be ready to get back and we have doctor appointments.

Yes, I am the only girl with 5 guys. LOL The are all very well behaved this trip. Smokey has only gotten out 3 times and Mike got him within a few feet of the door. The other two cats don't even try to get out.

o

I wonder if that's where WhidbeyKathy got her username from?

You'll love Banff, Anita! Sounds like you're having a great time as always, and your cats are so well-behaved and heavy travellers. I'm envious of them. LOL

o

You're getting close to me finally!Love to have a cupp'a at least, if you have time. If you take the most direct route from Banff through Montana and Idaho you probably will be passing as close as 4 miles! We will be gone mid to late July to Cali.

o

Banff itself is nothing but a tourist town. The surrounding area is beautiful. If you're up to changing your trip a bit head straight north to Jasper and spend your time there instead. They have beautiful hiking trails and there it's light until midnight at this time of year. It's probably about a 5 hour drive and you travel along the Icefield Parkway which has absolutely spectacular scenery. Just a thought.

Even if you can't go to Jasper the Icefield Parkway goes north from Lake Louise (Banff) and may be take some time and drive it. There are glaciers along the way and one that you can get out to and walk along. Very cool.

As a slightly OT comment - I'm in Vancouver and I never realized how unusual our early mornings or late evenings wrt to sunlight were until someone else from the south recently mentioned the same thing.

o

Hey Nita, I was wondering where you were.....I was going to try and find out the url or the meeting house to check and see if you were posting there. I am so jealous of that trip. I hope we can do it too. We are heading out west late summer but wont go that far west or into Canada this trip.

Keep us posted.

o

Oh Nita - that's a beautiful sunset. Thanks for checking in.

o

Great picture Nita!!! I aborted my banff trip in 2008, after getting to the top of Logan pass.

Don't regret not riding up there, but want to do it in a car some time.. all the way to Jasper National Park.

Moni... who will head to New Mexico to see the kids before long.

o

Hi! beautiful areas you are visiting!

o

Ruthie, this trip is a must. Just beautiful everyplace we have been. Cats are doing great and having a fun time. Today they got to watch the horses in the field next to our motor home.

Cathy, we will be traveling from Ennis, MT to Salt Lake City on July 10. Let me know where you are and maybe we can get together for a little bit. Would need to meet someplace where we can park a 60 foot rig.

o

You are having a good trip!!! A road had been opened from Banff to a small lake ringed by peaks. This area is known as 10 peaks, the scene printed on Canadian bills of a certain denomination.

I do not know if they still have it, but if they do, it is worth it. During late summer, one of the ski lifts is operational. You can take it to a ski lodge for an all you can eat breaktast and a fantastic view of the valley northward. The food is plentiful and hearty. One ticket covers the ride up and back on a chair lift including breakfast. It's well worth it.

From Banff, consider taking the drive north to Jasper. It is very scenic and you will pass over a contiental divide. When in Jasper, do take a side trip out to Malign (sp?) Lake. Once there, you can buy a ticket for a boat trip to a small island that is probably the most photographed island in North America. Its image has appeared on many calendars. Do not arrive too late in the afternoon because the boat trip is about an hour or more and the oerators shut down by 4 or 5 pm, so the last trip leaves the dock around 3 pm. The views on that lake are fantastic. I did not take the boat when I was there, but if I am ever there again, I will plan to do so.

o

Teri and I both live on Whidbey Island. My DH and I have lived here 42 years, but who's counting : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here