Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heading out to Gatlinberg this morning!

Posted by kathsgrdn (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 9:14

We're taking Sola to Gatlinberg TN for her last trip in the U.S. We're staying in a cabin. Not sure what we're going to do, mostly relax in the cabin. We're taking the Wii with us and I'm bringing my laptop and a couple books, and "homework" (have to do a proficiency paper on myself for work-yuck).

Alex is staying here and watching the cat and dogs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heading out to Gatlinberg this morning!

Wow it seems like it was a few weeks ago when the two girls arrived..now it's time to head home. Do you see the other student who was from the Soviet Union, is she headed back home too?
Enjoy your time in TN.

june

o

Be prepared to get totally immersed in typical tourist he!! if you venture to Pigeon Forge, which is the town next to Gatlinburg. It is where all the action is like Dollywood and the "strip" with games, shops, typical tourist traps. Gatlinburg itself is mainly a street lined with touristy stores. The Ripley Aquarium is wonderful. You can drive up to the top of the Smokey Mtns which is to 6000 ft. and a very nice, scenic drive with several walking trails and mountain streams that rush over rocks making a peaceful sound. A camera is a must, of course. Be prepared to find lots of traffic! How long are you staying?

o

I just love that area! We've rented cabins there at least six times and always enjoyed it. If you have time, Cades Cove is a great place and if you go in the cool of the morning you'll most likely see lots of deer and bears. It's a drive around and there are places to stop off--an old church and cemetary is one I remember. It's very interesting and so pretty.

Lots of outlet malls in Pigeon Forge. Take your credit cards :-)

The rental cabins I've had have always been really clean and nice. A couple of times I've gone with two of my sisters and we had the best time. Vast amounts of wine were consumed :-) Almost all the cabins have a hot tub and large porches.

You need to relax after the week you've had at work. Have a wonderful time and enjoy the little time you have left with Sola.

o

I would love to rent a cabin at Dollywood. They are gorgeous! We used to go to the Smokies a lot when I was a kid, and we tent camped. Had a great time. I'm sure Gatlinburg was much smaller 35 years ago, but it was still fun for us kids. Have fun!

o

Have a great trip!

o

Enjoy your vacation......

o

My favorite place in the world! How I wish I could live there.

o

Actually, the cabin is in Pigeon Forge, or near it....kind of.

Gemini, I saw Liza at Sola's chorus concert but she didn't talk to any of us. She de-friended me on Facebook, which is fine with me. Sola said she was leaving this week to go back home. Sola's leaving next week. I'm going to miss her.

We bought a bunch of food at Kroger and will be eating here for the next few days. On the way down they all decided to go to Dollywood one day.

o

ds1 has gone there a couple of times but they golf, someplace...

you know i actaully love the tourist traps...we wandered around and thru several of the shops...can't remember exactly where but went to the smokies and a fed park which had original home-sites (log cabins) quite interesting...

o

I've been to the area briefly once and would love to go back. Visited the Boyd's Bear store, took in the beauty of the Smokies from a hotel high above Gatlinberg and peeked through the fence at Dollywood. It was not open that day. And then we headed to Chattanooga.

Jodi-

o

My DH and DS just went camping a couple weeks ago in that area. They camped in the park and did 3 days of hiking. They were close enough to go into Pigeon Forge each evening to shower and eat out. Camp sites didn't have facilities to bathe. They went to Ramsey Falls and to LeCant, both were hikes that were 9-12 miles long but beautiful sites.

o

I'm soure you had fun! I'm SOOOO glad that Liza found
another home to go to!

o

love that area. We are actually going down to Pigeon Forge in a couple of weeks. We always stay at the Inn At Christmas Place. The grandchildren love it. Santa comes on Thursday mornings and has breakfast and plays his guitar. What a hoot. Great place for a family trip.

o

Patti, we may drive to Cades Cove if I can convince the girls it will be fun. Right now they want to do the touristy stuff. We're headed to Gatlinberg to walk around and look at the shops.

Wine50, we drove by that Inn on our way to the cabin, very cute. Reminds me of places in Germany only HUGE in comparison.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here