SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Help w/ partially stripped furniture set?

party_music50
9 years ago

Hi -- I saw this loveseat and rocker set on a local ebay listing a couple weeks ago and HAD to have it!

The set was *filthy* when I bought it. I've since cleaned it up, using just water on a rag, to see what I have to work with. The original finish remains on the rocker and I absolutely LOVE it (sort of a reddish-black color). Unfortunately, the loveseat has already been mostly stripped of its original finish. :(

I bought jute webbing and will weave a seat-base above the springs on both pieces, then find or make cushions to fit. I plan to leave the rocker finish as it is. I'm wondering what I can do about the wood/finish on the loveseat... is there anything I can apply to give it the same 'look' as the rocker? I'd hate to apply paint over all that stripping work, but at the same time I have no desire to finish the stripping because I want that reddish-black grungy look of the rocker. I also don't have the time to spend in refinishing (at least not now).

Should I use fine sandpaper or steel wool to just smooth the wood on the loveseat and leave it like that? Can I apply an oil or wax finish on top of the partially stripped loveseat or will that hurt the wood for any future 'finish'???

Here's what the rocker looks like now:

And here's the [sadly] partially stripped loveseat:

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville