Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
surgery update

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 8:14

I had my successful kidney transplant in January, which left me with a bulging vein in my left upper arm, called a fistula, where they placed the needles during the 4 and a half years I was on dialysis. Ugly and somewhat painful, so last Thursday I had a vascular surgeon close it off(ligation surgery). Surgery took about two hours, I was so happy when they let me go home that evening. The first night I had a lot of pain, took painkillers (Tylenol with codein) to sleep. My bandage came off Sunday, it looked awful. My arm is purple and swollen.My hand looks like a baseball mitt. Monday I drove to the surgeon, who looked at it and said it's healing, not infected, wait another week. He recommended lots of bedrest and keep the arm elevated on a pillow. Here it's Wednesday and I'm "surviving" and coping the best I can. We have a home care aide (for hubby with MS) 3 days a week so she helps out. But I wish the swelling would go down faster.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: surgery update

I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

o

I was wondering how you were doing Jannie. Thanks so much for checking in and updating us.

Do what he says, keep it elevated and use it minimally, etc.
Hopefully the swelling will subside quickly. When do you see him again?

o

I've been worried about you. So glad you checked in. Please take care of yourself, and I hope you will be all healed real soon. Hugs!

o

Glad to hear the update, Jannie. It might not look like it's healing, but the surgeon has undoubtedly seen a lot of these and knows healing when he sees it. :-)

Keep giving yourself good care, and let us know how you're doing.

o

Healing takes time. Be a patient patient. It will all be worth it when it's healed.

o

Good to hear how you are doing....and that you are taking good care of yourself. Time....the best cure around...and good thoughts and prayers. Going your way!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here