4 ounces fresh chorizo, casings removed, crumbled
Olive oil, as needed
1 small red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Mexican lager-style beer, such as Negra Modelo
1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno, plus 1 tablespoon pickling juice
3/4 cup milk
4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, finely diced (about 1 cup)
4 ounces whole-milk mozzarella, finely diced (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Warmed tortilla wedges, tortilla chips, bell pepper triangles or French fries, for dipping

Directions

1. Cook the chorizo, stirring, in a medium skillet or a flameproof gratin dish over medium-high heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and pour off any excess rendered fat, reserving about 1 tablespoon in the pan. If there is less than 1 tablespoon, add enough olive oil to make 1 tablespoon.

2. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, until the flour is golden, 1 minute. Pour in the beer and bring to a boil.

Stir in the chopped jalapenos and pickling juice and cook 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking, and bring to a gentle boil until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the cheeses and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cheese fully melts, about 3 minutes.

Stir in the reserved chorizo. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the cilantro and serve warm with dippers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, June 26, 2012

I took a book out of the library: The best Chicken Recipes by Cook's Illustrated. There are 300 recipes and so far it looks really good. I'd love to be able to find it and buy it. It's a thick book, with no pictures, and I do like to see some pictures.

I made this on Saturday and we raved about it.

Orange-Honey Glazed Chicken Breasts (Cook's Illustrated)
Corn syrup enhances the glaze without adding sweetness. The chicken stays moist and flavorful.

4 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups orange juice, plus 2 tbsp
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp vinegar
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium shallot, minced (3 tbsp)

Preheat oven to 375.

Whisk 1 1/2 cups orange juice, corn syrup, honey, dijon, vinegar and red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Place flour in a shallow dish. Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with flour, shaking off the excess.

Heat the oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat just until smoking. Brown chicken on both sides; 5-8 minutes per side, reducing the heat if the pan begins to scorch. Remove chicken to a plate.

Pour off all but 1 tbsp fat from skillet. Over medium heat cook the shallot until softened, 1-2 minutes. Increase heat to high and add the orange juice mixture. Simmer, stirring occasionally until syrupy and reduced to about 1 cup; 6-10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and tilt it so the glaze pools in the corner. Roll each breast in the glaze to coat and place skin-side down in the skillet.

Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the thickest part of the breast registers 160 to 165; 25-30 minutes. Turn the chicken skin-side up halfway through. Remove to a platter and let rest 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, using oven mitts, return the skillet to high heat and cook the glaze, stirring constantly until thickened and syrupy, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the remaining 2 tbsp orange juice. Spoon some glaze over the chicken and pass the remainder separately.

o

Another summer main dish salad.

CURRIED CHICKEN AND RICE SALAD (One Lovely Life)

3-4 c cooked rice (I use about 3.5 cups)
2 c cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
1 stalk celery, diced
1 green onion, sliced
1 1/2 c mayonnaise
2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c frozen peas, or more to taste
1c+ salted cashews, for garnish

In a large bowl, combine rice, chicken, celery, and green onion. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry, salt, and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Toss dressing with rice mixture until well-coated. Fold in peas. Just before serving, top with salted cashews.

o

quiona watermelon and feta salad

In a serving dish, add quinoa, watermelon, red onion, feta and mint. Gently toss to combine. Drizzle in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss to combine. Top with mint garnish. Serve chilled.

Ingredients
2 cups Cooked Quinoa
3 cups Watermelon Balls Or Cubes
1/4 whole Red Onion, Thinly Sliced
4 ounces, Feta Crumbles
12 leaves Mint, Torn, Plus Extra For Garnish
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here