SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojomom_gw

Scary day -- all clear

mojomom
9 years ago

I haven't posted about this. Really too frightened to share until now. The day after Christmas we were visiting our daughter and she came home from work in obvious severe pain and fever. After watching her for a while I made the call that we better go to the hospital. We arrived at the ER and the doctors were great and very attentive. First test was blood work indicating a raging infection, but specific diagnosis was difficult so she had a CT scan. The scan showed that the infection was in her upper intestines. C-diff was suspected, but she wasn't showing classic signs and the doctors were admittedly baffled. Also the CT scan also revealed a small mass in her stomach that the Drs. believed was was unrelated to the immediate problem, but alarming. Doctors advised that as soon as the infection was under control, the mass required further investigation. They admitted her on heavy duty antibiotics and a morphine pain pump.

The C-diff culture came out positive and because she was already on the proper antibiotics it was already beginning to resolve. They kept her in the hospital another day to biopsy the tumor, but the results were inconclusive, so she was sent to Denver for a specialized biopsy with an ultrasound and got a good sample. The results were immediate and mixed. The bad news was that it was cancer, but a GIST tumor (gastrointestinal stromal cell tumor) in her stomach lining. The good new is that it was caught VERY early and had a very low mitotic rate (growth rate).

A few weeks later, she had surgery to remove the tumor at her local hospital (laparoscopic Gastric resection). She did very well trough the surgery--what a trooper she was trying to make the nurses work as easy as possible. The posy-op pathologist report was consistent with the denver work, small tumor/low growth rate. But these tutors can never be called benign. So she was set up with an oncologist. We were all in town for that appointment and the oncologist handled the room crowded with parents and husband with aplumb. The news was as good as to be expected -- given the size and growth rate if the tumor, there is only 4-5% chance of reoccurrence and even if it does reoccur there are some newer drugs that are working wonders if that becomes necessary. The plan is to monitor with CT scans every 3-6 months for a couple of years until she is out if the woods.

She had her first three month follow up CT scan this week and her first follow up appointment with the oncologist today --excellent news. The CT was clear no signs of reoccurance. We have all very been on pins and needles all week, so this is a huge relief. Next follow with the oncologist in three months and another CT scan for six months.

She feels great and has been very active. I know this is such a relief for her as well as to her parents. We will all sleep well tonight. I couldn't be more pleased with her smaller town hospital. In fact while this was all going on I found out that it had just set up a strategic partnership with Mayo, so it really is state if the art and rated extremely highly.

A few prayers that the good news continues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Note: Edited to correct some of the massive typos. I posted last night on my I-pad after taking an ambien to finally get a good night's sleep -- not a good idea. Nonetheless posting did allow me to release the pent up anxiety. Thanks again for listening!

This post was edited by mojomom on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 13:31

Comments (24)