Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you tall or short?

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 23:12

Never realized how short I am, until picnic on Monday, and looked at pic taken of Y pool director and myself. Adam is tall and chef's hat makes him look even taller. Just barely hit his shoulder. I must be shrinking, eh?

Mother was short in statue. My dad was a tall person. Son, thankfully, and grandson, aren't.

Which are you considered?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you tall or short?

I am tall and come from a family of tall folks. But my MIL is short, and so my daughter is too. Thank goodness the sons are nice and tall.

o

I'm short...5'2"..........my husband is 6'4" Most of my six grandchildren (aged 13-17) are taller than I am.

o

I'm only 5'2' so that would be considered short. My daughter is 5'11''. Her paternal grandmother was tall so that must be where she got those genes. My mom was only 5'.

o

I'm only 5'2' so that would be considered short. My daughter is 5'11''. Her paternal grandmother was tall so that must be where she got those genes. My mom was only 5'.

o

o

I am 5' 7" and I think that's considered somewhat tall for a woman.

But I'm "undertall." (as in, "I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.")

o

I'm tall I guess at 5'6".

o

At 5' 9.5", I am medium. Both my sons exceed 6'[ duaghter is 5'4".

o

5'8" lucky to be taller than most females in my family.

o

I'm 5'8" so that's tall for a girl. Growing up I was always the tallest in my class at school. I hated it but now I am glad I am tall.

o

I would be happy to be 5' 8" too, Casey. Then I could reach items on the top shelf of the grocery store! I use to be 5' 5 1/2" but have shrunk a little. I guess I would be called average.

o

Most of my life I was 5 ft tall but now I have shrunk down to about 4ft10 inches. I wish I was taller...everything is difficult when you are short..even finding a comfortable chair to sit in.
Joann

o

It was fun to watch my grandparents (friends since the age of 10 and married 63 years when he died) hold hands. He was 6'3" and she was 5'1". I am with you georgysmom, very close to average--5'4". My mom and sister are tall (like Jude31! she and her daughters are surely tall!). Guess they got the tall gene and I got the average of Gran and Stan.

o

I'm 5'7. Dad was tall, mom was short. Our sons are 6' and 6'5.

o

I'm 5'3 so a bit on the short side. My MIL is short at a little under 5 foot. My father's family is all short. My uncle at his tallest was only 4'10 and he married a woman who is only 5'. It's funny that all three of their kids are taller than I am - not by much but still taller. I would have thought they would have been around to 5 foot mark also.

o

I am 5'11".

Yet I am the shortest in my family.
My siblings are all taller, as are my husband and kids.

Personally, I consider 5'9" and up tall for a woman.

o

I'm 5'8", my Mom is probably 5'2" now and my Dad was 6'. My daughter is a shrimpie at about 5'3" and my son is 5'11". DH is short at 5'9".

o

I'm 5'7". When I was growing up, I hated being so tall, but now I am glad to be this height...because when I start shrinking, I should still be tall enough to reach into the kitchen cabinets.

My father was 6'2" (he's now about 6'); my mother was 5'2"; my brother is 6'3".

o

I'm five foot one, the shortest in my immediate family of mom and dad, three siblings. Both my daughters tower over me, they both five six. . Hubby is about average, five ten.

This post was edited by jannie on Sat, May 18, 13 at 18:36

o

I'm 5'2", or at least I used to be. Probably about 5'1" now. The tallest of the girls in my family is 5'3". I used to think she was tall :-) I had hopes that my daughter would be tall (her father was 6'2") but she's only 5'4".

It sure would be nice not to have to pull my step-up out everytime I want something from the top shelf!! It would also be nice to be able to buy a pair of slacks that didn't have to be altered!

o

I'm like LuAnn; I'm 5'9" but the shortest in my family. Mom was 5' 4", Dad about 6' 1". Siblings are all 6' to 6' 2". Growing up, I was a foot shorter than my sister. I had two growth spurts; from 4' 9" to 5' 4" at age 13 and then to 5' 9" at age 16. Since I've been both short and tall, I can tell you there are good and bad things about both. Buying clothes is hard when you're tall (I have a 36" inseam; try finding pants!) but reaching things is hard when you're short.

My son is 6' 7".

o

I've measured 5/ 10 1/2" all my life until the last few years. During yesterday's physical I measured in at 5'8 3/4". That's unbelievable. My dad was tall and mother quite short.

o

I always considered myself medium at 5' 6 1/2", not short enough to be petite and not tall enough to be... well.... tall! My husband is 5' 4" so definitely short. Most of the females in his family are tiny.

o

I'm tall, 5 ft 9.5 inches

o

I'm short, 5' and shrinking, can't say the same about the hips.......

o

5'1" ... mom was 5'3" and dad was 5'6".

Hubby is 6'1". His parents were both tall. DD is 5'8" and DS is 6'. I am by far the shortest one in my immediate family.

When I was in high school I dated a guy who was 6'8". That was quite a sight!

Jodi-

o

I was 5'5" now I'm 5'3". My mother was short, my father tall..my two sisters tall and then there was me. My sons are about 6' and my daughter is 5'6".

o

I've always been a shorty. I'm shrinking rapidly. I "was" 4 foot 11 1/2 inches but was just recently measured at 4foot 9 inches. At this rate I may completely disappear. LOL

Can't reach things, can't find chairs that fit. Luckily though I can purchase clothes in the girls department which usually are cheaper than in the women's. Finding size 4 1/2-5 shoes is almost next to impossible.

o

This is most interesting. Thank you Rob for remembering that I am tall(5'9")!LOL I look at the top of a lot of heads. One daughter (Tracy) about 5'10.5" and one (Lu)5'11", other one (Robbie)about 5'6.Son is 5'11", if he stretches, DH (Bob) abput 6'2". My mother was about my height and father was 6'2" and all my siblings tall except one sister.

I always considered below 5'4" as short and over 5'7" as tall. Loved to go to Lady Vols basketball games where I looked up, sometimes waaay up, to a lot of the spectators. With so many women in sports that are well over 6 feet I don't feel so tall anymore. Dees, you've got really long legs...I wear a 31" length and thought my legs were long. Used to have trouble finding pants long enough but they make them longer nowadays.

One of my granddaughters is not all that tall, but I kid you not, her legs look they go to her armpits. A beautiful girl and definintely "all legs" is a ballet dancer(not proffessional, but tookd dance all through school, including college. Her parents started her in dance because she was so awkward...guess it worked! Actually none of my grandchildren are tall, they belong to the two children that are not tall.

I had a gift shop for several years with a friend who was 5'1" and it was a prety good arrangement. I'd do all the tall stuff and she'd do all the low things. Advantages and disadvantages to all heights, but I'm glad I'm tall. After 80+ years I've gotten used to it.-)

jude

o

I come from a very tall family. I have shrunk at age 90, but measured 5'10" most of my life. One daughter is 6 '2", one is 6 feet. She is the oldest and had a clever remark for guys who asked her how tall she was. Her response "I'm five feet twelve."

o
RE: Are you tall or short?..

Forgot to mention, Rob, that what I remember about you is your beautiful smile and gorgeous red hair! Never noticed your heigth all that much.

jude

o

I use to be 5'8" but have shrunk to 5'6". I still consider myself tall.

o

I was five eight but now five seven, all my sibs are tall. My daughter is five eleven and sons are six foot and six foot five. Husband is six one.

o

I don't know if I am 5'4" or 5'3". I consider myself average in height, but I guess a lot of people would consider me to be short. Depends on who I am standing next to.

o

I am 5'4"~~my dad was 6' one brother 6' other 6'6", mom was 5'6". My DH is 5'9" so is my oldest DD, my other DD is 5'2" and my son is 6'2"~~DGS is 6'2", DGD 5'1" and baby girl DGD is only 4 but you can tell she will be tall like her mom;)

I think I am average height~~shoe size and clothing size, I feel that way snice I can never find anything in my size it is always sold out.

o

I'm 5'7" and have always HATED being this tall.

However, I'm the shortest female in my family (my mom is 5'11", maternal grandmother was 5'9", paternal grandmother was 5'8", daughter is 5'8").

I've always wanted to be 5'4", and have explored the option of surgery to remove 3" from my leg bones. I'm not kidding. That's how much I hate my height.

o

I am 5'11", always wanted that one more inch to be an even 6'.

o

I must be shrinking, as son and granson have trucks, and now I have to be helped into the trucks OR better use a plastic stepstool from Dollar Tree to step into the truck.

My mother/ grandmother were both short, as well as my father's mother, and one sister.

o

I thought I had shrunk, but it turns out that my long winter robe stretched!

I measured my same 5' 6" at my physical. I've been around 120 lbs most of my life and could always find sales 'remainders' in size 8. (Today's size 6, thanks to vanity sizing.)

I was delighted to be 5'2" for nearly two years in junior high. Then -- oh no! -- I grew four inches in high school! If lack of talent wasn't enough, that ended my ballet dreams. I'm also 'made wrong' for that -- long torso and short legs. I can often buy pants that don't need shortening in the petite section.

I read that the men in the Netherlands are the tallest -- but aren't some Africans extra-tall?

o

Guess I am average 5'4", hubby is 5'10". My oldest daughter was 5'4" & my other daughter is 5'9". Now the grandkids are all tall. The oldest is 22 & she is 5'11", next is 20 & he is 6'4", next is 14 & he is 5'9", next is 13 & she is 5'7". Now my great grandson who is a little over 2 years old is already 3'4". The Dr said he is going to be very tall.

o

I'm 5'1". Shortest in my family.
Mother was 5'7", and her mother was 5'10"(very tall for a woman born in 1900).
And...my father was a 6 footer - but his mother(who was my great grandmother), said when I met her - "she's the spittin' image of my Ollie"- who was only 4'10".

o

i'm 5 foot 7

o

I am just right!
Average....5'6" now.....at age 73.

o

I'm 5'6". I think of myself as tall because I grew early. I think I was this height at age 14. My sons are 6' and 5'8". You could be anything in my family. Lots of tall and short genes. Toss of the genetic dice. I used to wish I was shorter but now I wouldn't mind being a couple inches taller.

o

Glenda, it is all how you think of yourself. :)

I am 5' 4 1/2 inches tall. :)

Yep, tall!

Moni

o

I'm only about 4'10". Sure wish I could reach things easier.

o

I have always been a shorty!! I'm 5'. My hubby is 6'2" and the 3 kids are all taller then Ole Mom!! I have just always adjusted to my needs. It seems like I have a stool in every size. My hubby built a nice step with a handle that we keep in his truck for me to get in and out of. I often have to ask for help at the grocery. Everything I seem to want or need is clear on the top shelf. Can't take my step with me to the grocery. Oh well, I'm short and I just have to live with it. Atleast I'm close to the ground now that my garden needs weeded. See, I "can" find something positive about it.

o

I WAS tall, 5'8", but now have shrunk to 5'4" and have to buy petite pants. My husband was 6'8" tall, so two of my 3 daughters are 6'2" tall, while the third (and first born) is only 5'8". Because her husband is about the same height as she, and from a short family, their daughter is only a little over 5' tall, while my other two granddaughters are 5'11". My grandson, son of the shorter daughter, is also about 5'11"'.

o

We shorties don't have as far to fall if we fall. LOL We also don't have a problem with a bed being too short.

o

I am 5'7"
A late bloomer, I was short in junior high. Didn't finish growing until college.

o

shortest in family MY Boys were nice and tall.

I'm built like my father.

I envy those gals with long necks

o

Like Lindsey_CA, I am undertall. :)

o

I'm the tallest girl in my family out of my mom and 2 sisters. I'm 5'4". Mom was 5'1", sister's are 5'1" and 5'2or3".

And then you have my daughter, 5' 10"! She gets a real kick out of standing beside me and resting her elbow on my head. Haha.

She absolutely hated being tall growing up. She was taller than all the girls in her class, and most of the boys. She's better about it now.

o

I'm 4'9" and I don't really mind it until I have to reach something...I hate to have to stand on something to reach what I need. I also wear a size 4 1/2 or 5 shoe, and they are hard to find. And every extra pound shows, I have a hard time keeping the weight off, and I always have to shorten my pants!

o

"I always have to shorten my pants!"

Easier than trying to lengthen them! :-)

o

I'm 5'9". Used to be that was fairly tall, but now there are lots of women my height and taller.

o

LOL, I'm short in my wheelchair and still short when standing up!

I'm in the petite category, only 4'9". (^_^)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here